Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen kane cornes walking down north terrace last night. His head is really weird looking. He is the new rucci.

If Fyfe wants 1.5 you pay it and cut back on what you pay a couple of plodders

That is 14.3% of the total cap. If you pay that over 5 years it will be more than plodders that you are giving up. You will have to go short on one or two of our best players.

Also you can no longer expect your players to tow the line that we have a strict wage structure. A deal like Fyfe will inflate the wages of all of our best players on their next contract renewals.

Those practical implications aside. On the plus side he would cost nothing in terms of a trade if he put his price at $1.5m. We have to trade 2 players to free up space which would likely get us 1st round picks - I would nominate JJ and McGovern since both had recent interest and both have or will command big money in 2017. So including our own first rounder we would have 3 first rounders. Could we package that to get a high pick? In that case our nets might be something like Fyfe and a top 5 draft pick in exchange for 2 starting 22 players [edit: and our first]. OR Fyfe and 2 first round picks for [2 players]. If only it were this simple though.

Last edited:
That is 14.3% of the total cap. If you pay that over 5 years it will be more than plodders that you are giving up. You will have to go short on one or two of our best players.

Also you can no longer expect your players to tow the line that we have a strict wage structure. A deal like Fyfe will inflate the wages of all of our best players on their next contract renewals.

Those practical implications aside. On the plus side he would cost nothing in terms of a trade if he put his price at $1.5m. We have to trade 2 players to free up space which would likely get us 1st round picks - I would nominate JJ and McGovern since both had recent interest and both have or will command big money in 2017. So including our own first rounder we would have 3 first rounders. Could we package that to get a high pick? In that case our nets might be something like Fyfe and a top 5 draft pick in exchange for 2 starting 22 players. OR Fyfe and 2 first round picks for that. If only it were this simple though.

Unless the new players' deal includes the right for clubs to trade contracted players without their consent then we might have a hard time moving on JJ even if we wanted to. He's already on a pretty fat contract, you'd probably have to find somebody willing to pay him even more than that (or pay part of the contract ourselves) in order to get him to agree to move on. And other clubs knowing we're having a fire sale to clear out cap space so we can land Fyfe means we probably wouldn't be in the strongest bargaining position to demand a first round pick for him.

Unless the new players' deal includes the right for clubs to trade contracted players without their consent then we might have a hard time moving on JJ even if we wanted to. He's already on a pretty fat contract, you'd probably have to find somebody willing to pay him even more than that (or pay part of the contract ourselves) in order to get him to agree to move on. And other clubs knowing we're having a fire sale to clear out cap space so we can land Fyfe means we probably wouldn't be in the strongest bargaining position to demand a first round pick for him.

Yes. I agree. You cant force him. I just thought since he was tempted to go to Brisbane, maybe he might still be willing to move. It doesnt have to be JJ or Gov, but you would think that Thommo is not on much so he wont free up space. So we need to free up close to the entire 1.5m. It would probably take 2 quality first team players plus Thommo.

I am actually not in favour of this. For me the deal breaker is how you would then keep your list together when you go to negotiate with the other 44 players. I am just working through how hypothetically I think it would go. JJ is the most overpaid in our club, so if we are being ruthless we find a way to move him on. Others apparently on big coin might include Smith. Not sure it will be good form to move on an All Australian local boy though. Of course we should be trying to offload Mackay and his 400k, and we would probably willing to let him go for free if Fyfe was coming in. I would also be trying to get Douglas a trade as well, although I am not convinced that either of these players would be picked up by another AFL club.

As for fire sale, I think that anytime a good player is put on the market the competition drives the players price up to his market value, whether you are desperate or not. It actually sounds like we have a pretty well balanced wage structure, so other than JJ there doesnt seem to be any obvious makeway to free up space.

If you were willing to go thin in your squad depth you might be able to get away with something like:

Out (9 players): JJ, Douglas, Mackay, Thommo, CEY, Kelly, Gore, Shaw, Otten,
In: Fyfe, 2 firsts, 1 or 2 seconds, 3 or 4 thirds (includes our own picks)

We might take 6 draftees (plus JE) and they would be on the minimum draftee wage, added to our existing crop of draftees. But now we would have one of the least experienced squads in the AFL, but we would also have one of the best starting 22s. But how would you then keep together your list on future contract renewals?

Yes. I agree. You cant force him. I just thought since he was tempted to go to Brisbane, maybe he might still be willing to move. It doesnt have to be JJ or Gov, but you would think that Thommo is not on much so he wont free up space. So we need to free up close to the entire 1.5m. It would probably take 2 quality first team players plus Thommo.

I am actually not in favour of this. For me the deal breaker is how you would then keep your list together when you go to negotiate with the other 44 players. I am just working through how hypothetically I think it would go. JJ is the most overpaid in our club, so if we are being ruthless we find a way to move him on. Others apparently on big coin might include Smith. Not sure it will be good form to move on an All Australian local boy though. Of course we should be trying to offload Mackay and his 400k, and we would probably willing to let him go for free if Fyfe was coming in. I would also be trying to get Douglas a trade as well, although I am not convinced that either of these players would be picked up by another AFL club.

As for fire sale, I think that anytime a good player is put on the market the competition drives the players price up to his market value, whether you are desperate or not. It actually sounds like we have a pretty well balanced wage structure, so other than JJ there doesnt seem to be any obvious makeway to free up space.

If you were willing to go thin in your squad depth you might be able to get away with something like:

Out (9 players): JJ, Douglas, Mackay, Thommo, CEY, Kelly, Gore, Shaw, Otten,
In: Fyfe, 2 firsts, 1 or 2 seconds, 3 or 4 thirds (includes our own picks)

We might take 6 draftees (plus JE) and they would be on the minimum draftee wage, added to our existing crop of draftees. But now we would have one of the least experienced squads in the AFL, but we would also have one of the best starting 22s. But how would you then keep together your list on future contract renewals?

I like your passion for trading but really, I just do not share your wish to overpay these so called stars. Voldemort was a superstar (or so we were told endlessly) yet he never delivered a flag for us. Fyfe has never delivered a flag for Freo likewise Martin and Rockliff. However, you want us to get rid of good solid players to make way for one of these. IMO teams are better off keeping their own players and building a champion team rather than trying to recruit an overpriced "star". We are better served by keeping our draft picks and draft our own "stars" in the future.

I like your passion for trading but really, I just do not share your wish to overpay these so called stars. Voldemort was a superstar (or so we were told endlessly) yet he never delivered a flag for us. Fyfe has never delivered a flag for Freo likewise Martin and Rockliff. However, you want us to get rid of good solid players to make way for one of these. IMO teams are better off keeping their own players and building a champion team rather than trying to recruit an overpriced "star". We are better served by keeping our draft picks and draft our own "stars" in the future.

I already stated in my post: "I am actually not in favour of this. For me the deal breaker is how you would then keep your list together when you go to negotiate with the other 44 players. "

So I dont actually have a wish to do that. The post was simply how I think it could be done.

I already stated in my post: "I am actually not in favour of this. For me the deal breaker is how you would then keep your list together when you go to negotiate with the other 44 players. "

So I dont actually have a wish to do that. The post was simply how I think it could be done.

Ok, I must have missed that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said last year that we were after Fyfe and apparently we still are.
I heard today we are giving it as good a shot as we can. He is seen as getable.

We aren't getting Fyfe under any circumstances. We don't have what it takes to lure someone like him

We aren't getting Fyfe under any circumstances. We don't have what it takes to lure someone like him
That might well be the outcome.
I cant see him leaving. He is a country kid that goes home and works in the familys trucking buisness when he isnt playing football.
He has no GFs from interstate to look out for.
It would destroy Freo if they lost him.
They have the cash to pay him what he wants.
Only issue I see at Freo is that he is hated at Freo more than Ablett is at GC (by the other players)
But apparently we are putting some work into him.

I said last year that we were after Fyfe and apparently we still are.
I heard today we are giving it as good a shot as we can. He is seen as getable.
Bombed on Michael Barlow, trumped on Shaun Edwards... but Fyfe will be ours!

58285738.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back