2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The academies get their own team for the first stage of the under 18 carnival

2017 UNDER-18 ACADEMY SERIES FIXTURE
ROUND 1

March 25

Gold Coast Suns vs. Brisbane Lions (Queensland) 

March 26
Tasmania vs. Northern Territory (NSW) 

Sydney Swans vs. GWS Giants (NSW)

ROUND 2
April 1
Brisbane Lions vs. Tasmania (Queensland)

GWS Giants vs. Gold Coast (Blacktown)

Northern Territory Thunder vs. Sydney Swans (TIO Stadium, Darwin)

Round 3
April 8
Sydney Swans vs. Gold Coast Suns (Blacktown)

Tasmania vs. GWS Giants (Blundstone Arena, TAS) 

Northern Territory vs. Brisbane Lions (TIO Stadium, Darwin)

Round 4
April 29
GWS Giants vs. Northern Territory (NSW)

Sydney Swans vs. Brisbane Lions (NSW) 

Gold Coast Suns vs. Tasmania (Queensland)

Round 5
May 6
Gold Coast Suns vs. Northern Territory (Broadbeach) 

Brisbane Lions vs. GWS Giants (Broadbeach) 

Tasmania vs. Sydney Swans (TAS)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-06/new-academy-series-replaces-division-two-in-u18-carnival

Probably drops the overall standard of the competition which isn't good

The academies get their own team for the first stage of the under 18 carnival

2017 UNDER-18 ACADEMY SERIES FIXTURE
ROUND 1

March 25

Gold Coast Suns vs. Brisbane Lions (Queensland) 

March 26
Tasmania vs. Northern Territory (NSW) 

Sydney Swans vs. GWS Giants (NSW)

ROUND 2
April 1
Brisbane Lions vs. Tasmania (Queensland)

GWS Giants vs. Gold Coast (Blacktown)

Northern Territory Thunder vs. Sydney Swans (TIO Stadium, Darwin)

Round 3
April 8
Sydney Swans vs. Gold Coast Suns (Blacktown)

Tasmania vs. GWS Giants (Blundstone Arena, TAS) 

Northern Territory vs. Brisbane Lions (TIO Stadium, Darwin)

Round 4
April 29
GWS Giants vs. Northern Territory (NSW)

Sydney Swans vs. Brisbane Lions (NSW) 

Gold Coast Suns vs. Tasmania (Queensland)

Round 5
May 6
Gold Coast Suns vs. Northern Territory (Broadbeach) 

Brisbane Lions vs. GWS Giants (Broadbeach) 

Tasmania vs. Sydney Swans (TAS)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-06/new-academy-series-replaces-division-two-in-u18-carnival

Probably drops the overall standard of the competition which isn't good

I actually think that it will help with the development of the academies as a whole.
But you would think the GWS academy will kill it.

Interesting idea, but not overly convinced. So instead of having QLD we now have it watered down into 2 teams. Who are making up the numbers in these lions and suns teams outside of the draftable talent?

I guess the focus now becomes more on the div 1 comp and the allies team. This is really a series of qualifying games for players to get picked for said allies team.

Interesting idea, but not overly convinced. So instead of having QLD we now have it watered down into 2 teams. Who are making up the numbers in these lions and suns teams outside of the draftable talent?

I guess the focus now becomes more on the div 1 comp and the allies team. This is really a series of qualifying games for players to get picked for said allies team.
You would think that it would be our 17year olds making up the numbers. Positives is that it lets us see these guys a year earlier and see all of the 18year olds in our academy.

As you pointed out it will be a qualifying series for the allies team. Not sure if there still is a winning team. It will bring Tas and NT back into the mix in regards to closer games but it doesn't mean that it will make their players any better and possibly will drop the standard of the Div 2.

I like it. I look at it as possibly on a similar level to the TAC cup. You would hope the Brisbane's academy team would be competitive with a mid level TAC cup team.

I really do hope that after the U18 champs are over, that our top rated kids are moved in to our NEAFL team until the end of the season.

Ok, I'll bite first. It's along way out and all the signs are pointing up in relation to this years draft crop. I found it interesting over last year how many in club recruiting weren't overly fussed with the crop of draftees but as it got closer so did the chatter of it being a good draft that was quite even with only a few possible standouts. Hopefully in McCluggage we got th best of them all who was rated top of all of them until McGrath pipped him but my money is McCluggage to have the better career. However the jungle drums for this years crop has been beating pretty loudly from early last year. We already have Ballenden as our academy pick and is being rated and I see him more of a Peter Wright type and will go around the same mark as he did IMO. We should again (sadly) have another early pick and with Ports 1st rounder two picks in the first round. The club has stated that its intention is to build through the draft and to acquire as many picks in the top 20 or so as possible. Our Spine is developing nicely and maybe another KPD if Skinner doesn't come on and also top rated young ruck to develop would be nice but the engine room for mine is the greatest need and there are some very interesting and talented prospects playing midfield or when in the top flight become midfielders. I usually at this time of year have maybe one or two that I like but there at least six that at this moment I will be keeping a close eye on in Darcy Fogarty, Hunter Clark, James Worpol, Lochie O'Brien, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Cameron Rayner. As it stands I think we have a great chance to get our hands on two of those. The pleasing thing is there will be more that will pop up as well.

Well I'm on the James Worpel bandwagon. Would love to get him with Ports pick. Just as I was on the Witherden bandwagon last year, hoping to get him with our second round pick.

I would like to know if Ballenden has grown at all since last season. I have a feeling he may end up more of a ruck prospect than KPF.

I genuinely do not know who to look at with our probably top (2) pick. We do need a small/mid forward. So Jaidyn Stephenson. Listening to Twomey, you just know Twomey wants to call Stephenson the likely number one draft pick.

Will be interesting to see if the club genuinely view Jack Clayton as a wanted prospect. We're pretty well stocked with young HB talent know. And our third round pick may be just the right spot to pick up one of the rated ruck prospects in this years draft.

And I would love to see Declan Watson request a move home.

In Twomey's Academy trip wrap article one thing resonated with me especially when former Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo told the recruiters about recruiting players who are tough, to find the 'glass eaters'. Is Jaiden Stephenson that? I don't think so and even though he can turn a game he looks to be more flash than substance. I think previously we have fallen too easily for this type of player (Aish anyone) and there are some real hard at players in this draft, Fogarty, Clark and Worpol are these types. We have Matho (Bull) and McCluggage who'll be our silk but another couple of hard at it types would be great to add to that. Countering this is our outside run (do we have any?) and Lochie O'Brien. He looks the goods as an outside type and hopefully he builds his contested ball and winning his one on ones. Two picks in the first round, a spread of types? O'Brien (outside run/speed/skill), Worpol (inside workhorse/clearance player), Ballenden (forward/ruck). Not much too ask but to add another in Fogarty or Clark would seriously speed our rebuild up.

It is hard to predict right now what our list needs are given how much of a state of flux we are in with a lot of new, developing or fringe players on the list. Having said that, if we look purely at our 1-5 year players, it is still heavy on tall forwards and comparatively light on for genuine midfielders. It is hard not to think that we'll have a real midfield focus.

If the draft has a number of quality talls this year, we might be able to pick the eyes out of the midfield talent a bit more.

The other hole I wouldn't mind filling is a Toby Greene or Devon Smith style forward-mid. A guy who is super dangerous up forward but has midfield ability too. Ainsworth would have been a good get had we have got a second early pick last year.

It is hard to predict right now what our list needs are given how much of a state of flux we are in with a lot of new, developing or fringe players on the list. Having said that, if we look purely at our 1-5 year players, it is still heavy on tall forwards and comparatively light on for genuine midfielders. It is hard not to think that we'll have a real midfield focus.

If the draft has a number of quality talls this year, we might be able to pick the eyes out of the midfield talent a bit more.

The other hole I wouldn't mind filling is a Toby Greene or Devon Smith style forward-mid. A guy who is super dangerous up forward but has midfield ability too. Ainsworth would have been a good get had we have got a second early pick last year.
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head when you looked at the 1-5 year demographic.

It's been heavily discussed previously that our core midfield group will be pushing it in terms of age when it comes to our next finals push. Rockliff, Rich, Beams, Robinson etc are much older than our KP prospects, so I would absolutely agree that a midfield focus for this years draft along with Ballenden would be ideal, at least at this stage.

There is also a chance that we may trade early picks for players or may lose players and get extra picks

There is also a chance that we may trade early picks for players or may lose players and get extra picks
Yeah that's why I always laugh at the midseason mock drafts people come up with!

On a serious note, it would be good to get Schache, McStay, Cutler and Keays locked away sooner rather than later but I will save that for the appropriate thread!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think we need more A grade midfielders and then probably from the end of next year we should be looking at phasing out Robinson, Martin and Bastinac and any other of the older midfielders who can't hold down a spot in another area of the ground to allow our younger mids to develop at the same rate as the young KPPs we have coming through.

I think Cameron Rayner could be the pick of the bunch this year. Reminds me of Christian Petracca. Can play as a dangerous mid-sized forward(He kicked bags of 7 and 5 goals in back to back games as an underager in the TAC Cup in 2016) but he also has the ability to play through the midfield. His strengths from limited vision include his aerial ability, he has clean hands and can take a strong mark, his speed, agility and power, he has that ability to burst out of a pack and lay a big fend off and he is quite skilful as well with a long booming kick and he can use his left boot and he has a bit of x factor about him as well. I think he could be a real game changing type who can win a game in a quarter like a Dustin Martin who can go though the midfield and win several clearances and then go forward and kick multiple goals.

He is a really exciting prospect and it will be interesting to see how he develops this year. A few highlights videos for those looking to get an early glimpse at one of this years draft prospects:

Last edited:
Rayner didn't turn 17 till late last year as well meaning the above highlights were from a 16 year old playing against 17/18 year olds.
An underrated consideration in my opinion.

In the 2016 draft, 5 of the top 10 picks were born in January or February. 8 of the top 10 were born in the first half of the year. An extra 6 months development at that age can be a big factor. If two draftees are showing equal talent, the younger one probably has a higher ceiling.

In the 2016 draft, 5 of the top 10 picks were born in January or February. 8 of the top 10 were born in the first half of the year. An extra 6 months development at that age can be a big factor. If two draftees are showing equal talent, the younger one probably has a higher ceiling.

Could be our ready-made medium forward pick this year.

I guess the only asterisk on that is that people born in the first part of the "year" tend to be over-represented in the highest levels of sport. There's something called the Relative Age Effect (?) which explains it.

IIRC though, one of the primary reasons why the Relative Age Effect is a thing is that the slightly older kids tend to be more advanced as compared to younger kids in their age cohort and so are more likely make representative teams, development programs etc. They might get access to better coaching and development which puts them further ahead. That might be less of a factor if you are comparing two kids with similar talent levels but the older kid has slightly better performance to date.

I do agree with POBT's comment about picking the eyes out of the draft for midfielders. I really like that we basically have a good tall locked away, and with early comments that the draft should feature a lot of talls early, we might be able to pluck some really nice midfield talent with late top 10 to teen picks.

Yet to know what will happen with trades. Rockliff is unknown but id like to think he would land us a first round pick, maybe even a swap of 2nd round picks to upgrade our 2nd pick if he has a good year on field. Depending where ballenden ends up being rated, there is always the ability to trade our first pick down for 2 later picks.

Many different ways this year can go. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. We really do need to keep focusing on some top midfield talent though.

I said exactly the same thing in last years draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back