The REALLY REAL Tom Doedee Thread

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bringing in players with a perception they have upside can also mean they may not perform also, a lot will depend who we are playing, where we sit on the ladder, how many of these players you bring ionto the team at the same time, when in the year, what bearing the game has on the year and of course match ups. Bringing in a player that has played under 20 games is a risk, what are the consequences of that risk if they fail.

Im happy to bring them in but not 5 or 6 maybe one or two at a time

I'm not sure we've ever had 5 or 6 who's fitness and form in the SANFL warranted AFL selection ahead of an experienced plodder. Even last year we VB was literally the next backman up, Kelly and Otten both injured or suspended and Doedee was working into titness/form after a late start to the preseason. Continuing to play non-statistical-soon-to-be-delisted Wright ahead of Lyons the year before was an obvious example. Mackay has largely just held on because of lack of outside running options, he has been dropped the previous 3 years and his time has come, providing he's not blessed again this year with injuries to players who can play the just outside the stoppage role.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure we've ever had 5 or 6 who's fitness and form in the SANFL warranted AFL selection ahead of an experienced plodder. Even last year we VB was literally the next backman up, Kelly and Otten both injured or suspended and Doedee was working into titness/form after a late start to the preseason. Continuing to play non-statistical-soon-to-be-delisted Wright ahead of Lyons the year before was an obvious example. Mackay has largely just held on because of lack of outside running options, he has been dropped the previous 3 years and his time has come, providing he's not blessed again this year with injuries to players who can play the just outside the stoppage role.

Last year was extremly unusual with probably never in the history of the club using that amount of players two or three more injuries may have seen us forvced to use more, imagine if we had to play CEY, Milera, Mcgovern CC, Wigg and ROB at the same time, we saw inconsistecy out of Milera, CC, McGovern last year the risk is great playing that many at once

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com] gimli [e].jpg

IKEA - start the thread.png

IKEA - start the thread.png
IKEA - start the thread.png []
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com] gimli [e].jpg
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com] gimli [e].jpg []

[w.picturesof.net] A_Dog_Biting_a_Vets_Arm - SMILING.jpg
[w.picturesof.net] A_Dog_Biting_a_Vets_Arm - SMILING.jpg []
[w.picturesof.net] A_Dog_Biting_a_Vets_Arm...090221-220823-984009.jpg
[w.picturesof.net] A_Dog_Biting_a_Vets_Arm...090221-220823-984009.jpg []

Last edited:
I reckon just D-Day is cool on its own.
Looking a strong possibility for D-Day round 1, with Cheney & Brown in doubt, along with Smith may be needed in the midfield.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure we've ever had 5 or 6 who's fitness and form in the SANFL warranted AFL selection ahead of an experienced plodder.
I assume you are talking only about defense here...

Lastyear CEY, Grigg, ROB, Wigg all deserved to be in the team

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
ROB fair enough, but the mids I'm not sure all 3 warranted a spot at the same time. Dougie, Thommo and Mackay could all have been dropped I suppose.

I don't think there is any question that the club stuffed up monumentally when managing Sauce and Thommo maybe Douglass a little

Those two should have had less workload and been cherry ripe at year end

It can give you a false sense on those players as they would only come in against the bottoms 4 or 5 teams not the teams that are hard to beat wth quality opposition

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wandering why the club didnt go Burton apparently injury concerns, may have been looking at the wrong player, what is up with Doedeee another injury interupted pre season there are only him and another who were firsts rounders last year not to play an AFL game. Gee I expect more from 1st rounders

Wandering why the club didnt go Burton apparently injury concerns, may have been looking at the wrong player, what is up with Doedeee another injury interupted pre season there are only him and another who were firsts rounders last year not to play an AFL game. Gee I expect more from 1st rounders
Another shallow Marty post...

Yes, let's judge new players on their 1st year & not over their career.

Back