moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Congratulation to Ebony "the Noff" Marinoff, for being named they leagues' (and Crows') first ever AFLW Rising Star after a 20 disposal, 6 tackle first game against GWS!

Well done the Noff! :thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-07/tenacious-crow-and-speedy-dog-named-aflw-rising-stars

TENACIOUS Adelaide midfielder Ebony Marinoff and speedy Western Bulldogs defender Bailey Hunt are the first nominees for the inaugural NAB AFL Women’s Rising Star award.

The 19-year-old Marinoff was everywhere for the Crows in their 36-point win against Greater Western Sydney at Thebarton Oval on Saturday, picking up a game-high 20 possessions and laying six tackles.

Later that night, Hunt, 20, was part of the Bulldogs’ defence that shut down Fremantle at Whitten Oval. She collected nine disposals, laid three tackles and had two clearances in the 32-point victory.

Despite being relatively new to football, Hunt was selected at No.60 in the 2016 NAB AFL Women's Draft. Her speed means she can play on a variety of opponents.

She played 15 matches for Melbourne University in the VFL Women's competition last year, including the losing Grand Final against Darebin. Hunt played at junior level for Montmorency JFC in Melbourne’s north-east.

The left-footed Marinoff was Adelaide’s first selection in the 2016 draft. She was recruited from Morphettville Park and played juniors with Lockleys JFC in Adelaide’s inner-west. The former surf-lifesaver was named an All Australian in 2016 after the AFL women’s exhibition series.

After the game, Marinoff told AFL.com.au she put the build-up to the opening round and the pressure of playing in front of a crowd of more than 10,000 to one side to stay focused on winning the game.

Ebony Marinoff celebrates the Crows' win over the Giants. Picture: AFL Photos
marinoff060217.jpg

"If you're not nervous there's something wrong … but you've got to put that into your game and make sure you come out firing because at the end of the day, it's just a game of footy," Marinoff said.

"The fans were bloody awesome, the atmosphere was insane and I can't wait to see where this leads."

The Crows selected Marinoff with the seventh overall pick in last year's draft. She gave up surf lifesaving at the end of 2015 to concentrate on football and was also a talented netballer.

"To be at Thebarton Oval, have a League … with eight teams, guernseys (and) elite facilities – I didn't think it would happen," she said.

"I know one day I'll be a professional athlete, so I'll keep at it and see where it takes me."

Marinoff and Hunt are the first of 14 AFLW players aged 21 and under to be nominated for the award (two after each round), with the winner to be announced after the AFLW season.

The AFL also confirmed NAB had extended its support of women’s football and would sponsor the NAB AFL Women’s Rising Stars Program, which includes the Rising Star award, NAB AFL Women’s Draft, NAB AFL Women’s Draft Combine, NAB AFL Women’s Under-18 Championships and NAB AFL Women’s Academy.

She seems like a heart & soul player that is great for creating a club's culture and keeping shoulders up in tough games. Appears to be very well liked by the playing group and always looks to be in an upbeat mood. Too early to say future captain?

On an unfortunate note, apparently, she is friends with the young Cornes girl who converted her into a port supporter with free football tickets.

Last edited:
Back on topic

Ebony is my favourite Crow woman at the moment - She seems stoked about everything

She's also really lucky that this has come about when she is 19

A good friend of mine captained QLD a few years ago and got told to nominate for the draft but she didn't play much last year after a busted shoulder so she didn't... She's nearly 32 so it's probably just a bit too late for her

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic

Ebony is my favourite Crow woman at the moment - She seems stoked about everything

She's also really lucky that this has come about when she is 19

A good friend of mine captained QLD a few years ago and got told to nominate for the draft but she didn't play much last year after a busted shoulder so she didn't... She's nearly 32 so it's probably just a bit too late for her

Considering Erin is 32 and her opponent at the game was 35, there's still a chance. But even if she can't play at this level, the sport will need quality players at the lower levels to assist those coming through.

Considering Erin is 32 and her opponent at the game was 35, there's still a chance. But even if she can't play at this level, the sport will need quality players at the lower levels to assist those coming through.

there's probably also the part where she hasn't been playing in the VWFL, rather playing in the same pub footy team I play in (very social) - she is a step above in our league and is our captain - wouldn't be surprised if she pulled her finger out this year after seeing the women's comp though... from watching 3 of the games on the weekend, she would be able to match it...

CK6k2iH.gif

I look forward to years and years of posting this gif when something good happens at our club. She is Rory Sloane: you cqan't help but love the pure unbridled joy in her face - i wish i knew what the news was, that made her that happy.

Well done: first game, first win, first Rising Star.

Also, giffed this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back