What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
He'll stay, he probably wouldn't get too much game time with our forward line anyway and besides I want to see years of battles between him and his brother Jeremy lined up on each other :). But I would be happy if we did the deal of a straight swap for Masten.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
He'll stay, he probably wouldn't get too much game time with our forward line anyway and besides I want to see years of battles between him and his brother Jeremy lined up on each other :). But I would be happy if we did the deal of a straight swap for Masten.
It would have to be Masten and a first rounder as Masten would be the change.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He wouldn't get much game time in your forward line? That's funny.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
He wouldn't get much game time in your forward line? That's funny.
Who would he push out ? I don't know if you've looked at our list but we have a pretty decent "best 22" with about 10 players legitimately pushing to break into it. Mitch would be a good acquisition don't get me wrong but I think he will stay and the price would be too high anyway.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Liam Duggan with Masten as the steak knives I'd look at...

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who would he push out ? I don't know if you've looked at our list but we have a pretty decent "best 22" with about 10 players legitimately pushing to break into it. Mitch would be a good acquisition don't get me wrong but I think he will stay and the price would be too high anyway.
He will be much better than LeCras by mid season this year let alone next year

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I think he'll go. The Perth teams will basically have a bidding war over him.

What's he worth on the trade market, is the big question? With Reid in charge, and him being out of contract, we'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him.
At least Freo have failed to bring in pretty much every key forward they've targeted over the years. One down, one to go!

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think you're overrating McGovern's ability a bit based on the few spectacular things he does per game.

McGovern is a 5th forward. He was behind Walker, Jenkins, and Lynch in average marks. He was behind Jenkins and Walker in contested marks. He took fewer marks inside 50 than all the other forwards including Eddie Betts (he equalled Tom Lynch). The only forward he had more inside 50s than was Betts.

Sure, he's an excitement machine. But his impact on games in 2016 wasn't that high; in fact many people here wanted him dropped at several points in the season due to his low impact. He does have room to grow and improve considering this is his 1st AFL season, but there is realistically only so much a 5th forward can add to the team. With our current structure, I highly doubt McGovern is going to suddenly kick 50 goals in a season.

I think McGovern is best suited as a pure forward, but we don't have room in our team to play him there, so he's stuck as a 5th forward. I think we could get very similar output from a half forward type like Menzel/Beech/Milera; perhaps a slightly different structure, but a similar impact and output nonetheless
Think you're under rating Gov's improvement curve . Neither him or his brother picked in main draft as 18 year olds but both coming with a rush now , Gov hasn't scratched the surface of his talent yet whereas Lever was Vic metro captain in his bottom age year

Not to say Lever won't improve and be an absolute jet but it's closer than you think

At least Freo have failed to bring in pretty much every key forward they've targeted over the years. One down, one to go!

Hey! Fremantle got superstar forward Shane Kersten from Geelong

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our media really is pathetic.

Lynch's comments have been broadcast across the media as "Crows confident of keeping Mitch", when it was one player voicing his opinion. It means nothing really and yet the media have dined out on it because they are s**t.

Back