Crows would have Vince
GWS and GC would have shite teams

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think he meant Matt Crouch is bad, just that we traded Vince for pick 23 in a year we lost picks, and pick 23 was used to get Matt. If we still had our picks we may have had a different pick and not got him

Matt will be proven to be the better of the two brothers. Brad doing his hammy AGAIN shows the guy is just another Fitzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if we tried harder and beat West Coast in Round 23 last year and finished in the top 4. I think we would have possibly had 3 premierships by now. So many years of disappointment. Then you also have 2005, 2006 and 2012. It is so hard to win in this league, you can play superb and then all it takes is to have one off game and then it becomes so hard because the team has lost it's self belief so easily at times over the years. 2017 is not going to be easy, it is a very even competition and this team (and others) needs to have total determination and belief when it matters the most. It is a race to the finish line for AFC, top 4 or bust.

bluebob1

Senior List
Aug 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think he meant Matt Crouch is bad, just that we traded Vince for pick 23 in a year we lost picks, and pick 23 was used to get Matt. If we still had our picks we may have had a different pick and not got him
correct although Vince may have shaded Matt C anyway. Vince was very good last year if you watched any Melb games uses the ball better than MC. But for the future Matt C will obviously be more valuable

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The obvious one for me is "what if we chose Pavlich instead of McGregor?"

Surely we would have nabbed a premiership in either 2005 or 2006 with him in our forward line.
how did this work? Pavlich went for pick #4 ,.. refresh my memory how McGregor was involved?

how did this work? Pavlich went for pick #4 ,.. refresh my memory how McGregor was involved?
Previous year when we were allowed to draft one 17 year old. Pav was on no-ones radar then though.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if...
The AFL rules were even for all teams

No COLA
Equality for TPPs
Equality of father son rule
No zones
New clubs all had the same draft and player signing allowances

Sydney would not have Franklin
Crows would have Gibbs
Swans would not have Tippett
Crows would have Vince

So pretty much, what if Wayne Jackson was still in charge of the AFL and Dimwit had never been involved. Our first father son shafting occured under him I admit, but I bet he would have sought team parity a lot sooner than Vlad.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
What if...
The AFL rules were even for all teams

No COLA
Equality for TPPs
Equality of father son rule
No zones
New clubs all had the same draft and player signing allowances

Sydney would not have Franklin
Crows would have Gibbs
Swans would not have Tippett
Crows would have Vince
Why woukd we have Gibbs if there was equality in F/S?

F/S should be 100 games for that club or clubs, if the father played 100 games for two clubs. Not x amount of games for a collection of state league clubs that have no real connection with an AFL club.

I like the fact our first F/S had a dad who played for our club, and club legend at that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Previous year when we were allowed to draft one 17 year old. Pav was on no-ones radar then though.

Easily the biggest what If in this thread , Pavlich may have created a couple of premierships, he was one of those players that just carried a team. There are other players which we missed out on aswell but the fact he was an SA boy it will be pointed too all the time and we had the choice of McGregor or Pavlich at the time as a 17 year old. Also on the FS I think both Chad and Kane should have been clearly eligable with their father playing in excess of 300 games for the bays so another huge what if

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why woukd we have Gibbs if there was equality in F/S?

F/S should be 100 games for that club or clubs, if the father played 100 games for two clubs. Not x amount of games for a collection of state league clubs that have no real connection with an AFL club.

I like the fact our first F/S had a dad who played for our club, and club legend at that.

So no f/s rule for anyone pre 2013

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if we tried harder and beat West Coast in Round 23 last year and finished in the top 4. I think we would have possibly had 3 premierships by now. So many years of disappointment. Then you also have 2005, 2006 and 2012. It is so hard to win in this league, you can play superb and then all it takes is to have one off game and then it becomes so hard because the team has lost it's self belief so easily at times over the years. 2017 is not going to be easy, it is a very even competition and this team (and others) needs to have total determination and belief when it matters the most. It is a race to the finish line for AFC, top 4 or bust.
what if we grew a pair, dropped injured players and backed a kid to have a crack?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Doesn't change the fact ut was never going to happen though. Much more disappointment in a 50-50 what if.
We did the same thing with James Sellar.

He was a big boy playing a key position in Glenelg seniors at 16.

Could not translate that to AFL. He should have stuck with Volleyball.

This is the reason I am loathe to use first round picks on key forwards and ruckman.

Key defenders are a bit different. I reckon a kid who plays FB or CHB has a different mindset and abilities compared to a big kid who can merely ruck or outmark and kick goals among kids he is physically bigger than

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see what you mean. Unfortunately we joined their league and their records (pre 1990) are what count.

The biggest F/S travesty is how Jono Brown got to the Brisbane Lions.

Here's an idea - remove the f/s altogether! Happy days

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine our team with the two first and second round picks we lost, plus the top 10 pick Tippett was worth, together with Danger and Gunston staying.

We did pretty well out of those drafts getting Atkins and M. Crouch. Even if we took 4 picks and came out with M. Crouch and Atkins and 2 delistings you wouldn't be too dissatisfied with those results, without looking I'm sure some clubs who took 4 picks in those years did worse.

It's likely without the sanctions in 2012 we would have swapped Atkins for Tim Obrien. 2012 was a pretty weak draft, we did well to get Atkins out of it. 2013 we can't have done much better than M. Crouch with our first pick, people say we would have taken Cripps, but that's just dreaming with hindsight, we probably just wouldn't have had to lose Vince to get M. Crouch and used a higher pick to take him. We were never getting a top 10 pick out of Sydney for Tippett, best case scenario would probably have been getting Polec from Brisbane or Sam Day from GC.

Back