Port loses 300,000 - players/staff play for no pay in round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

That's unusual. I heard recently that in terms of financial positioning they're well in advance of all the VFL clubs (excepting Collingwood, Essendon etc)

That's unusual. I heard recently that in terms of financial positioning they're well in advance of all the VFL clubs (excepting Collingwood, Essendon etc)

Think Willi are probably best placed, by a fair margin, due to their Social Club the 'Seagull's Nest' in Newport doing a roaring pokies trade. But as we've seen with Port this can turn quickly.

Think Willi are probably best placed, by a fair margin, due to their Social Club the 'Seagull's Nest' in Newport doing a roaring pokies trade. But as we've seen with Port this can turn quickly.
Willy and Port are ahead of everyone; must have forgotten about them.

instead of St.Kilda

St. Kilda were already in it from start.
Hawks, Footscray and North were invited to join in 1925.
Richmond and University before that in 1908.
Port Melbourne were not invited as they used to upset a club like Richmond for playing too rough.

West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears in 1987.

Port Melbourne were not invited as they used to upset a club like Richmond for playing too rough.

i think their fans were considered too feral for the VFL's liking too... still a shame

This is not good, Port Melbourne are well supported and while I don't know what their business plan is, I will say that clearly something's not right in the VFL if stand-alone clubs are having to go to these lengths just to get on the field and meanwhile there are other clubs being funded and supported by cashed up AFL clubs. It says that there is inequity and two tiers to the competition. So clearly it is not a competition at the moment.

Frankston withdrew last year, Port are playing unpaid games, North Ballarat may well do the same this year ... all just to compete.

We know that the VFL wants to be the second level of AFL in Victoria, but at the moment it is a surrogate AFL Reserves competition mashed against lesser financed stand-alone city based teams. It doesn't really represent anything. The VFL doesn't seem to have any sort of cohesive plan to support its teams beyond 'Well ... sink or swim, or otherwise we'll find some other team to replace you'. That was the unambiguous message that they gave to Frankston and North Ballarat. Even then, in all likelyhood the VFL probably wouldn't support any start-up or replacement teams either.

The VFL is really just looking like an amateur imitation of a professional competition. Frankly, some of Victoria's country leagues treat their teams better and more equitably, no less show-up the bloody VFL in how to run a football competition, and how to manage the teams within their leagues.

Am I being too harsh?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my knowledge Port still owns the Rex. A massive $$$ spinner. The establishment itself would be worth truck loads. Some bad business practices must have taken place down at North Port. Does anyone know if Port got a chop out for their new social club from Port Phillip City council?

Good start.. game one plus doners here and there, going to need to be over 300k imo for long term sustainability.

What would be the weekly wage of the team - ball park

Most senior players are Port would still be on a fair bit, around the $1k mark for most of their big names (which they have plenty of! - Pinwill, Valenti, Dwyer, Nahas, Murdoch, Templeton, Lisle, J Tynan, L Tynan, Golby, Cain, Arnot, Haretuku, Mihocek, Van Unen, Conway, Cook, Sandilands and Batsanis)

Expected Salary Cap spend for the year is between $400k and $450k, plus 3 full time staff members and a full time coach - plus have the Rex and despite losing 300k last year, still have plenty of assets left over

Compare that with Coburg - spending between $200k-$215k a year on players - majority on between $300 and $500 a game, plus one full time staff member and coach, with everyone else at the club on next to nothing and have still have 4 players drafted to the AFL in the past 3 seasons!

So...if you're spending that much a year, you clearly either are terrible at money management or are better off than everyone assumes!

To my knowledge Port still owns the Rex. A massive $$$ spinner. The establishment itself would be worth truck loads. Some bad business practices must have taken place down at North Port. Does anyone know if Port got a chop out for their new social club from Port Phillip City council?
If they go, will the "Borough Burger" also go?
Worth getting down to Nth Port oval just for the burger alone.

If they go, will the "Borough Burger" also go?
Worth getting down to Nth Port oval just for the burger alone.

Borough burger, cheap tins, characters on field and off, can't beat a day at North Port.

It was between Port and St Kilda for the eight VFL place in 1897, but Port's reputation counted against them and they missed out.

It was between Port and St Kilda for the eight VFL place in 1897, but Port's reputation counted against them and they missed out.
I seem to remember a theory that the quality of St Kilda's field and amenities gained them a few votes as well.

Most senior players are Port would still be on a fair bit, around the $1k mark for most of their big names (which they have plenty of! - Pinwill, Valenti, Dwyer, Nahas, Murdoch, Templeton, Lisle, J Tynan, L Tynan, Golby, Cain, Arnot, Haretuku, Mihocek, Van Unen, Conway, Cook, Sandilands and Batsanis)

Expected Salary Cap spend for the year is between $400k and $450k, plus 3 full time staff members and a full time coach - plus have the Rex and despite losing 300k last year, still have plenty of assets left over

Compare that with Coburg - spending between $200k-$215k a year on players - majority on between $300 and $500 a game, plus one full time staff member and coach, with everyone else at the club on next to nothing and have still have 4 players drafted to the AFL in the past 3 seasons!

So...if you're spending that much a year, you clearly either are terrible at money management or are better off than everyone assumes!

Not many VFL players at standalone clubs getting paid 1000 mate.. Maybe a Nahas as his assistant coach and came straight off a afl list. Lisle maybe? Think Pinwill, Cain, Dwyer, Valenti, Sandilands all close mates and all stay on due to their close relationship with Ayres and Port Melb.. I'm not saying they play for nothing but would be surprised if they are getting 1000 each per game. Mihocek was looking for opportunities as played mostly reserves at Werribee.

Not many VFL players at standalone clubs getting paid 1000 mate.. Maybe a Nahas as his assistant coach and came straight off a afl list. Lisle maybe? Think Pinwill, Cain, Dwyer, Valenti, Sandilands all close mates and all stay on due to their close relationship with Ayres and Port Melb.. I'm not saying they play for nothing but would be surprised if they are getting 1000 each per game. Mihocek was looking for opportunities as played mostly reserves at Werribee.

I know not all do, but certainly a large number of standouts would be on $800+ at both Williamstown and Port Melbourne - I know Coburg and North Ballarat are less likely to but even North Ballarat pay a fair portion of the salary cap. Just knowing what Coburg offered some players who ended up at Port suggests there's a fair bit of coin floating around. I believe all those mentioned would still be on big coin, there's no way they would still be there for small money when they could make so much at local. Loyalty is big yes but I don't think means they play for peanuts like other clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back