Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, do the Chinese instantly hate something because it's not draped in red and yellow :rolleyes:

Because the one obstacle standing in our way in winning over a nation of 1 billion to embrace our club and our code was the color of the guernseys in our exhibition match all along.

It won't be a generation spent of our home games beamed into China with translated commentary, or the annual exhibition match fixture.

Said it before but seeing the Bulldogs in our national colours doesn't make me like them any more. And seeing the crows in our state colours just makes me hate them even more. Players like Wingard, Wines, Gray, DBJ win fans. Winning and playing well is important in this game. Not the colours.

I understand the concept is difficult for crers fans to understand as most of them selected their afl team..... caus Souf Stralia colours.

Maybe the Chinese are more free thinking than the sheep of south australia?

Besides.... I am pretty sure the club knew that our colours weren't RED when we started this venture 5 years ago......

Last edited:
Said it before but seeing the Bulldogs in our national colours doesn't make me like them any more. And seeing the crows in our state colours just makes me hate them even more. Players like Wingard, Wines, Gray, DBJ win fans. Winning and playing well is important in this game. Not the colours.
I thought our national colours were green and gold?

We have predicting this type of press for some time..see how it has moved on from being

'a sideshow' to

'never getting off the ground' to

'poor GCS being forced to play there' to

'GCS are the real winners here and sucked in Port'

If this is the best they can do to undermine this venture then we know we're on a good thing with this China game.

We have predicting this type of press for some time..see how it has moved on from being

'a sideshow' to

'never getting off the ground' to

'poor GCS being forced to play there' to

'GCS are the real winners here and sucked in Port'
The reality is that this will be one of the most exciting ventures our game has undertaken in many a long year, and no amount of negative press from the critics will change that fact. It'll be one of the most watched games in 2017, and I for one can't wait for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't they make a big announcement that they were making an international push into London?

#sideshow

Cutting edge that one. We've already played there twice.

London would actually be a smart place to expand though. There are probably more Australians living in London than there are in most Australian cities.

Australians in London, only go to Australian things to get drunk with other Australians.

London would actually be a smart place to expand though. There are probably more Australians living in London than there are in most Australian cities.
Doesn't work, the London Broncos were created with this in mind and have struggled for support their whole existence.

League has not only ex-pat Aussies, but ex-pat Northerners to tap into.

Rugby league has long tried to tap that market (as well as having a lot of local appeal), but it gets smashed by soccer and union. Not to mention the NFL taking the rest of the 'foreign game' market.

Australians in London, only go to Australian things to get drunk with other Australians.
If this were five-ten years ago, yes, you'd be on the money. The annoying "Fanatics" in their stupid green and gold wigs and headbands who'd turn up to Lleyton Hewitt's matches at Wimbledon, who live with other Australians, work with other Australians, always drink at Walkabout/Redback/Slug, go to The Church every Sunday, act as if they never left Australia.

HOWEVER, one of my close mates just got back from living in London for a couple of years, everything's changing now: there's only one Walkabout left in London, The Redback in Acton closed (good riddance, it was a s**t hole, apparently it has since burnt down), the Australia Shop in Covent Garden closed, TNT Magazine went into administration, The Church has stopped, expat life ain't what it used to be.

Most Aussies these days are actually assimilating into British life (shock, horror)

Last edited:
Doesn't work, the London Broncos were created with this in mind and have struggled for support their whole existence.

League has not only ex-pat Aussies, but ex-pat Northerners to tap into.

Rugby league has long tried to tap that market (as well as having a lot of local appeal), but it gets smashed by soccer and union. Not to mention the NFL taking the rest of the 'foreign game' market.

There's a weird rugby divide in England: the south and far north, the nicer parts of England, it's all Rugby Union, the industrial north is all Rugby League, generally the shitty parts of England (Hull, Wigan). The London Broncos RL team is an anomaly, like the Melbourne Storm in NRL.

And about half of the English Super League are Australians.

Rugby League seems to have limited appeal in countries where it's popular: Australia (NSW, QLD), NZ (Auckland region), France (Catalan region), it's virtually non existent in South Africa and they're Rugby mad!

Last edited:
If this were five-ten years ago, yes, you'd be on the money. The annoying "Fanatics" in their stupid green and gold wigs and headbands who'd turn up to Lleyton Hewitt's matches at Wimbledon, who live with other Australians, work with other Australians, always drink at Walkabout/Redback/Slug, go to The Church every Sunday, act as if they never left Australia.

HOWEVER, one of my close mates just got back from living in London for a couple of years, everything's changing now: there's only one Walkabout left in London, The Redback in Acton closed (good riddance, it was a s**t hole), the Australia Shop in Covent Garden closed, TNT Magazine went into administration, The Church has stopped, expat life ain't what it used to be.

Most Aussies these days are actually assimilating into British life (shock, horror)

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I lived there for 10 years and you end up getting tarred with the same brush, as much as you try to avoid it and them.

Why someone would move half way round the world to essentially hang out with the same people they drank with each weekend at the Village, in a venue that is essentially a carbon copy is beyond me. You are there to grow as a person you *****, expand your horizons.

The great thing about the Chinese is that in a country of a billion people, they all have exactly the same motivations and desires and reasons for doing whatever they do, such as picking a foreign sporting team to support. Its crazy, but it does make things easier. But christ, if we're gonna take advantage of this cultural anomaly, Kochie and KT need to get on the f'n ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back