Move over Fatty Cosgrove, Dwayne Leverock

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
IMG_0221.JPG

This is Rakheem Cornwall, my new favourite player.

The guy is a monster - got to be tipping them at close to 150 kegs.

And the good thing? By current Caribbean standards he can actually play.

Averages 35 with the bat on list A cricket, 23 with the bat in FC.

Averages 24 and exactly 5 wickets a match bowling finger spin in FC cricket (and visibly looks decent doing it), and averages 33 with an economy rate of 3.2 in list a.

And as the photo shows he is a relief glove man. This guy was born to be a cult hero. Hits the ball a mile too.

More like Rahkeem Cornbread, amirite? ;)

If the WICB is providing feedback to comparatively slim guys like Ravi Rampaul that they haven't been selected because they "don't look good on TV" at their weight (yes, this actually happened a couple of years ago), then it's safe to say this bloke won't be selected by the Windies anytime soon, despite his obvious all-round talent.

More like Rahkeem Cornbread, amirite? ;)

If the WICB is providing feedback to comparatively slim guys like Ravi Rampaul that they haven't been selected because they "don't look good on TV" at their weight (yes, this actually happened a couple of years ago), then it's safe to say this bloke won't be selected by the Windies anytime soon, despite his obvious all-round talent.

They did indeed, which was a joke because Rampaul was the most reliable bowler they had at the time.

With any luck Cameron will be on his arse soon and a new selection process can begin.

While obviously I'd like him to be a bit fitter, I'd love to see him given a go.

He's one of those guys who, even if he lost weight, would be a big boy regardless.

A few 100 run innings without boundaries might make him fit. Love to see him stringing together 2 or 3 threes together in a row.

Absolutely massive unit. Looks like he'd eat the stumps for brunch.

What little actual live highlights I've seen of him, he loves a good front-foot plonk down the wicket followed by a hefty hit through the line.

Who cares if they're 8% or not. If they can play better than everyone else, what's it matter? Cosgrove was wrongly robbed of international cricket.

Who cares if they're 8% or not. If they can play better than everyone else, what's it matter? Cosgrove was wrongly robbed of international cricket.

Agree totally.

In an era where there have been precious few Australian batsmen averaging 40 plus at FC level, he was comfortably clear of it up until 18 months ago. Had some great county seasons too.

Cornwall deserves to be picked in their main squad and if they don't select him, it just further proves what a f***ing mess it is at the moment.

Why don't you name the batsmen who had the test career Cosgrove didn't?

So according to this article, Cornwall stands 200cm and weighs in at 140kg.

Full disclosure, I'm 193cm and 135kg. I'm admittedly out of shape, but to the eye, old mate Cornbread looks comfortably way more than just 5kg heavier than me. Everyone has different body make-ups, and I was never "the fat kid" growing up (overeating and inactivity have served to add the kgs through my 20s), while Cornwall looks like he's got that body type where he's been fat since childhood. Still, I could be deluding myself, but I have a hard time believing he's not significantly bigger than I am.

The only time big Cossie was a genuinely viable option was circa 2011. Warner quickly snapped up his spot as opener and I can't really see any problem with Marsh, Bailey, Cowan and Khawaja slotting in as batsmen at various points ahead of him.

He was a good batsman, but to be honest I still think the above were ahead of him in quality. I don't think his name would look out of place with a baggy green number to the left of it, but by the same token I don't feel he was a talent lost to test cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time big Cossie was a genuinely viable option was circa 2011. Warner quickly snapped up his spot as opener and I can't really see any problem with Marsh, Bailey, Cowan and Khawaja slotting in as batsmen at various points ahead of him.

He was a good batsman, but to be honest I still think the above were ahead of him in quality. I don't think his name would look out of place with a baggy green number to the left of it, but by the same token I don't feel he was a talent lost to test cricket.

3 of those 4 when picked had inferior records to Cosgrove (khawaja the exception). Cosgrove was also picked for the Australian ODI side a long time before any of them had a shot at test cricket.

e4a41b6eac455ca3ce7372b3bb1315bd

The skipper told me to come up to the stumps to sledge you

I wouldn't

Right on

Last edited:
Geez they blew it last night. Encapsulated their problem in ODI cricket perfectly. They just don't know how to win. They compete just about every time they play but always seem to come off second best in the sort of 'game defining' contests. It was Morgan in the first game, Root (and Woakes) this morning. Gabriel is getting better and better which is a good sign. Would be lovely if he could turn himself into a legitimate enforcer of sorts. Needs to find some swing though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back