Game Day AFLW R2 Crows vs Bulldogs Friday 10/02/17 Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
As tactless as the subject is, it's worth remembering that women players don't get to keep playing through pregnancy, unlike the men with pregnant partners; that's two seasons out of the game, essentially.

Want to make a bet. I played against a woman who was pregnant last year. They can play up to a certain point under the okay from their doctor.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't want this to sound the wrong way... but the passion our girls sing with, makes it seem like a) they know how big a thing this is, and b) that the guys take for granted what the girls have never had. Does that make sense?

In answer to part a); Its very big and exciting and they have trained hard for months to get to this point.

part b); yes, they are passionate but if you rewatch the Crows mens side in the first few fames ever they were just as excited and passionate after a game. Give the girls 25 seasons I'm sure the body language after a win will be the same as the mens side. Right now, its all like one big grand final for the girls. Once the realisation of normality hits and the bigger picture they will tone it down. But for now I hope they keep doing what they are doing, its awesome to watch and they are the poster girls of the competition.

aneale

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is there a better player in the comp than Erin Phillips? She looked so far above anyone else out there.
At 21 she would have been the best female footballer in the country by a factor of 10.

At 31, it will take some time for the rust to fall off but she is the true elite athlete in the entire field and she has kicked a ball since she could stand. She had to become a world class basketballer. She just is a footballer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
It seemed like the umpires were very quick to blow the whistle last night. I think this is an AFL directive to try open the game up and create more goals.

May 3, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't want this to sound the wrong way... but the passion our girls sing with, makes it seem like a) they know how big a thing this is, and b) that the guys take for granted what the girls have never had. Does that make sense?
I think the passion of all the players is what is making this league so enjoyable for me.

Even late in the last quarter, when a team is well-beaten, they just keep cracking in. They are just loving the contest. Not like some of the men's games when a team will drop its bundle.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
It seemed like the umpires were very quick to blow the whistle last night. I think this is an AFL directive to try open the game up and create more goals.
Yes i thought the 2nd game was more open, and the girls appeared to be more relaxed than the first, where they were obviously emotionally wound tight

Thought we saw with the Crows give more handballs to players on the move ......whereas in the first it was all about kicking only and the handballs were generally to stationary players, but i put that down to nerves and dealing with a higher level of pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I think the passion of all the players is what is making this league so enjoyable for me.

Even late in the last quarter, when a team is well-beaten, they just keep cracking in. They are just loving the contest. Not like some of the men's games when a team will drop its bundle.
Yes most losing sides in the AFLW have never given in .....and i agree, that it appears different to mens teams who conceded .......or the Aust Cricket side, who start organising golf tee times on the 3rd day of a Test Match

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
I know this will sound strange - but I hope the AFLW doesn't become too professional too quickly. A couple of years of this semi-professional community level comp would be fab. I know it will have to evolve and go professional eventually, but I hope we can really enjoy it as it is for some time.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Want to make a bet. I played against a woman who was pregnant last year. They can play up to a certain point under the okay from their doctor.
Surely not for that long though? Can't see how it would be safe especially considering the sorts of body blows you see in contact sport.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes i thought the 2nd game was more open, and the girls appeared to be more relaxed than the first, where they were obviously emotionally wound tight

Thought we saw with the Crows give more handballs to players on the move ......whereas in the first it was all about kicking only and the handballs were generally to stationary players, but i put that down to nerves and dealing with a higher level of pressure
We still had like a 4:1 kick to handball ratio haha

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Huh?! That's definitely a bus! That'll be fine to Melbourne but to Perth and Brisbane?

Did you miss the bus and then the airplane emoji? Our men's players are always on a bus travelling to the airport, which is exactly the same as happening here. :rolleyes:

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Playing a tougher brand of footy than they are.

Did our men's team ever win a game at the Whitten Oval?

Surely we beat Fitzroy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Round 2 1996 - D & A Jarman kicked 14 goals between the two of them

---------------------------------------------

I mentioned in another thread about the Crows having on of the most boring club songs... but maybe it's just the way the men sing it

the girls killed it with their rendition

jaytex

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's what I was thinking. This is a high body contact sport. Any woman would be CRAZY to play when pregnant.

Jenny, you always jump on others for judging unfairly so I'm gonna do it here. Nikki was talking about a woman who had the ok from her Dr, you know, a medical professional. Who are you or we or anyone to judge that? She's done her due diligence and made a call.
Sure you don't have to agree with her, but calling her "crazy" in big shouty capitals isn't on IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back