Game Day AFLW R2 Crows vs Bulldogs Friday 10/02/17 Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I continued martial arts training through both my pregnancies albeit in a modified form. I didn't spar for example and risk a punch or kick to the abdomen but I would've copped a bit of light body contact doing bag work, self defence applications etc.

“It’s 15-minute quarters, 16-a side and a smaller footy, ... .” – Coach Bec Goddard

Confirms what another poster posted they thought during our first game. Wonder if they make the ball a smidge smaller but keep the same weight (or even heavier) the women would be able to kick the ball longer on average.
It's the same size ball as they use in the men's U18 Comp I think??

“It’s 15-minute quarters, 16-a side and a smaller footy, ... .” – Coach Bec Goddard

Confirms what another poster posted they thought during our first game. Wonder if they make the ball a smidge smaller but keep the same weight (or even heavier) the women would be able to kick the ball longer on average.
It's been long known that they use a size 4.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Watched the game when i got home last night - was very impressed. Thought our intent and ball movement was better then the dogs on the whole, particularly in the forward line. I echo the comments earlier in the thread, regarding Phillips being played in the middle late in quarters, was a real handful for the bulldogs girls. Perkins will be a cult hero and Noffy will be a ten year player for the club. Excellent start to the year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want to make a bet. I played against a woman who was pregnant last year. They can play up to a certain point under the okay from their doctor.
That's what I was thinking. This is a high body contact sport. Any woman would be CRAZY to play when pregnant.
Jenny, you always jump on others for judging unfairly so I'm gonna do it here. Nikki was talking about a woman who had the ok from her Dr, you know, a medical professional. Who are you or we or anyone to judge that? She's done her due diligence and made a call.
Sure you don't have to agree with her, but calling her "crazy" in big shouty capitals isn't on IMO.

What you're all missing is that playing with a Doctor's permission in weekend ammo games is one thing, but in the AFLW it's an Occ Health & Safety matter; I point to Renae Ingles, who dropped out of the Thunderbirds in January - Netball being a contact sport certainly, but much less so than football - and gave birth in August.

What you're all missing is that playing with a Doctor's permission in weekend ammo games is one thing, but in the AFLW it's an Occ Health & Safety matter; I point to Renae Ingles, who dropped out of the Thunderbirds in January - Netball being a contact sport certainly, but much less so than football - and gave birth in August.
I recall my wife was told that she could continue to do sports until the pregnancy was a certain way along.
There's a baby size where it becomes unsafe.

'“It’s 15-minute quarters, 16-a side and a smaller footy, let’s show off the girls’ skill. Let’s see the one-on-one contests. Let’s see the big goals. Let’s not go into that defensive shell. Are you going to come out and throw the first punch? Or are you just going to come out with your dukes up and get punched? We want to come out and attack, and see where it takes us.” – Coach Bec Goddard'

far out, she's making Walsh sound tame. On one hand I want to see more of this sort of thing from Pyke rather than all the "keep them calm, relaxed, execute" rhetoric, but I'm also wary that Bec's aggression tactic is probably a much stronger asset at the women's semi-professional level than the over-analysed and strategised modern mens game.

Don't be so sure of that :)

Correct - they may be becoming a parent but are not actually giving birth a la Phillips (who has just had twins) on Charlie Pickering last night - in fact when asked Erin where she would be if her partner was giving birth - hospital or grand final - she hesitated big time!!!

I recall my wife was told that she could continue to do sports until the pregnancy was a certain way along.
There's a baby size where it becomes unsafe.
Playing sports that you normally play that aren't high body contact is fine (to a point). But I cannot believe you would be able to play AFLW even in the early stages.

I continued martial arts training through both my pregnancies albeit in a modified form. I didn't spar for example and risk a punch or kick to the abdomen but I would've copped a bit of light body contact doing bag work, self defence applications etc.
Yep. It's the full on slamming tackles to the ground that would be the issue in AFLW. I had a friend who played touch footy into her 8th month.

This competition seems to be uncovering that you can't win simply by having a few star players.

Melbourne are getting torched despite having the 'best' player in the league
Great point - we appear to have a more even contribution across the ground, which other teams don't have. E.g. last night Carney & her fellow onballer were getting more disposals than anyone else, but they had too many players who had little inpact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back