Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
o_O Fyfe aint coming for 750k and then 330k per year.

Hahaha. No, $1.5m, $1.5m, $1m, $1m, $1m (average $1.2m) or something of the like. I doubt he is really asking for $1.5m for 5. So whatever it is, front load the first couple of years.

Martin is the man with form and durability, Fyfes value is still somewhat of unknown until we see how he comes back this year if he fails and breaks down what does his value become if he gets through but has an ordinary year what is it worth or if he regains his form and fitness he probably reaches that 1.3 mill

Martin has only had a couple of really high calibre seasons. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the same category as Fyfe. But if he cost us $500k per year less then he is a better choice.

Why whats the point. They arent contending. They will lose him for nothing next season. They could have front loaded some players this year and made room in their cap down the track. Also get at least something for him now. They would be better off with a trade that netted them Poholke than one more season of a player that will be gone when they are aby chance at finals. They could be blooding one of their awesome draftees instead.

Probably not a great deal of difference with Carlton, teams need to be at least competitive or their supporters lose faith, every team needs a couple of the classier players regardless where they sit on the ladder

Martin has only had a couple of really high calibre seasons. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the same category as Fyfe. But if he cost us $500k per year less then he is a better choice.

Martin will be worth more than Fyfe if Fyfe breaks down or gets through but regains no form and Martin continues on with the way he has been playing, his value will also skyrocket as he would then become the most wanted and probably go for more than he is really worth

Can only see Fyfe and Martin leaving their current clubs to the highest bidder like buddy and Ablett did this isn't a danger field situation
Buddy left because he wanted to live in Sydney & had little interest in playing for the new GWS... & Swans were willing to splash all their COLA on him helped too.

Swans perhpas?

Arent they getting rid of COLA. They will have to play by the same rules of the rest of us soon. Maybe they can have to sign up all the COLA players on fat contracts this year and they will be excluded from the new rules. Sounds about right.

Buddy left because he wanted to live in Sydney & had little interest in playing for the new GWS... & Swans were willing to splash all their COLA on him helped too.

Buddy left for the highest bidder, simple as that if hawthorn could have paid what Dydney did he would still be there as would have Geelong with Ablett. I don't blame them either

Buddy got the godfather deal that saw him play to he is 40 if we were the ones that offered that he would be in Adelaide

No inside info.

A Melbourne club could probably get away with $900k over 5 years. We're Adelaide, so we need to pay a huge premium

What we have to offer him a contract worth $4.6m more. That's double (in terms of contract value). If you reckon that he will move to Melbourne for 5 and 900k, then it would take more but not that much more and I wouldnt have thought it would be any longer. He might like to do 5 with us and then try Melbourne for 3 or 4. I would give him $1m x for 5 with a free pass to the club of his choice at the end of it, built in to the contract.

He can win another brownlow and a couple of premierships with us and then go and do his media stuff in Melbourne. No hard feelings. If Paddy can do it, so can Nat. And Nat is better looking too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we have to offer him a contract worth $4.6m more. That's double (in terms of contract value). If you reckon that he will move to Melbourne for 5 and 900k, then it would take more but not that much more and I wouldnt have thought it would be any longer. He might like to do 5 with us and then try Melbourne for 3 or 4. I would give him $1m x for 5 with a free pass to the club of his choice at the end of it, built in to the contract.

He can win another brownlow and a couple of premierships with us and then go and do his media stuff in Melbourne. No hard feelings. If Paddy can do it, so can Nat. And Nat is better looking too.

It'll take a lot more than $100k per year more to convince someone of his quality to play in Adelaide over Melbourne.

I am dead serious when I say it would cost multiple millions of dollars more. Same applies with Martin

Buddy left for the highest bidder, simple as that if hawthorn could have paid what Dydney did he would still be there as would have Geelong with Ablett. I don't blame them either

Buddy got the godfather deal that saw him play to he is 40 if we were the ones that offered that he would be in Adelaide
You missed the part that Jacinta wanted to live in Sydney...

It'll take a lot more than $100k per year more to convince someone of his quality to play in Adelaide over Melbourne.

I am dead serious when I say it would cost multiple millions of dollars more. Same applies with Martin

I dont buy that. If he wants a career in media, its actually too early for him. Media turns through ex-football players like ex-cricket spin bowlers go through women. If he wants to make himself a long time career media personality, the best thing he can do is win premierships. Otherwise, his currency is in WA and he should stay there. Of course, playing for a big Melbourne club trumps Adelaide, but its not enough just to play for Collingwood and have no success.

I think that if we played really good footy this season and tied down the core of our team then we would be in good stead to land him. He has to choose a club where he can have success and I think we could put our hand up for that. We will see this season how Freo goes, cause I think they could really surprise and be as good as us. In which case, forget about Fyfe, even $1.3m over 7 wont bring him to Adelaide. He will stay. But if we can win a premiership for example, or make a GF, then we would look very good to guys like Fyfe, Rocky and Martin. We are talking about 5 years in Adelaide, not Siberia. We can't pay him more than we can afford, which is probably $1m a season I would guess (if that). We should be trying to sell him on a potential success. A midfield of Fyfe, Sloane, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Cameron, Hampton a backline of Talia, Lever, Laird, Smith, and a forward line of Tex, Eddie, Lynch, Gov, Menzel. Right now, those names only look good or promising to us. If over the next 12 months those names put themselves forward as the core of a team that could win multiple premierships then we wont have to pay that much more than a Melbourne side if he decides to leave Freo.

I dont buy that. If he wants a career in media, its actually too early for him. Media turns through ex-football players like ex-cricket spin bowlers go through women. If he wants to make himself a long time career media personality, the best thing he can do is win premierships. Otherwise, his currency is in WA and he should stay there. Of course, playing for a big Melbourne club trumps Adelaide, but its not enough just to play for Collingwood and have no success.

I think that if we played really good footy this season and tied down the core of our team then we would be in good stead to land him. He has to choose a club where he can have success and I think we could put our hand up for that. We will see this season how Freo goes, cause I think they could really surprise and be as good as us. In which case, forget about Fyfe, even $1.3m over 7 wont bring him to Adelaide. He will stay. But if we can win a premiership for example, or make a GF, then we would look very good to guys like Fyfe, Rocky and Martin. We are talking about 5 years in Adelaide, not Siberia. We can't pay him more than we can afford, which is probably $1m a season I would guess (if that). We should be trying to sell him on a potential success. A midfield of Fyfe, Sloane, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Cameron, Hampton a backline of Talia, Lever, Laird, Smith, and a forward line of Tex, Eddie, Lynch, Gov, Menzel. Right now, those names only look good or promising to us. If over the next 12 months those names put themselves forward as the core of a team that could win multiple premierships then we wont have to pay that much more than a Melbourne side if he decides to leave Freo.

If it was as simple as paying an extra $100k and promising premierships we would have attracted someone good by now

If it was as simple as paying an extra $100k and promising premierships we would have attracted someone good by now

Not really. If you read my post, I suggested that we have to offer them a genuine shot at a premiership. How many times in the last 20 years have we really done that. Maybe once or twice.

Not really. If you read my post, I suggested that we have to offer them a genuine shot at a premiership. How many times in the last 20 years have we really done that. Maybe once or twice.

We are currently in a position where we're close enough that you could reasonably promise success to potential recruits.

And that fact alone isn't enough. Nor is a small amount more cash

We are currently in a position where we're close enough that you could reasonably promise success to potential recruits.

And that fact alone isn't enough. Nor is a small amount more cash

Thats not how I rate us. I dont think we are that close and I was saying this with the Gibbs trade as well. I think Sydney and GWS are far ahead of us. With Bulldogs winning the flag they are now clearly ahead of us too. I think the game against WCE when it mattered as well as the Sydney final really made that clear.

Now, we do have players that could all improve and if a number of them improve considerably then things may change. I dont think Fyfe would come to us as we are now. But if we put together a better season than last and if players like Brad Crouch, Charlie Cameron, McGovern, Smith and a couple of others really take a big step up, then we would have realised what we are all hoping. In that case, I think we could make a GF, possibly even win it this season. I do think there is a reasonable chance for this to happen as well. But we have to wait and see. At that point, I think we could attract Fyfe, Martin or Rocky at a similar price as Collingwood could.

You missed the part that Jacinta wanted to live in Sydney...

Is that the same as Tippett wanted to go home, she wanted to go to Sydney because they offered buddy the most money. It's not shameful I don't blame him especially going into his last contract good luck to him. I actually would have felt better if danger was chasing the cash it wouldn't have been such a negative on our ability to retain players, because money talks

Is that the same as Tippett wanted to go home, she wanted to go to Sydney because they offered buddy the most money. It's not shameful I don't blame him especially going into his last contract good luck to him. I actually would have felt better if danger was chasing the cash it wouldn't have been such a negative on our ability to retain players, because money talks
No, completely different.

For career reasons, Jacinta wanted to be based in Sydney.

AFL knew & ensured he got a huge offer to join the new GWS... & hence were pissed off when Sydney's COLA grabbed him instead.

Was never going to sign for a club in another state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back