Opinion 16 a side - why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

agree the game needs administrators with the courage to strip it back - back to where? 2000? 1995? how? what would you take out?
1995 thanks.

We can then embrace the draft and not subject ourselves to a couple of mediocre decades.

16-a-side for the women looks great, as the play is a little rough and sloppy, with the ball not moving as much around the field (so the women are not really being pushed as much as the men). But there is no need for it in the men's league IMO. I have no problem with congestion, it adds to excitement and pressure, leaving you on the edge of your seat in a tight game.

In the men's league where there is greater skill and more efficient use of the ball, and so far more space used, it only adds more pressure on the players to push excessively above their weight. Keeping athletic is important but player health and welfare should be first and foremost. The males run more regularly and taking players off would only leave others having to meet higher standards when it comes to endurance and athleticism. Not everybody is the same in this field and everybody's best is at a different level.

Taking players off would also encourage teams to go through rotations faster and if the interchange cap is not modified to help with this idea, then it could see somebody get hurt and not in the bone-crunching sort of way. It can be a concerning matter.

Stick with the current tradition. I personally don't see anything wrong with congestion.

Last edited:
If we're looking at it from a health perspective, it's probably better that these guys are built more towards aerobic fitness and a lean physique as well as any system of play that further encourages these attributes.

A player can still be a power forward if the team's system is set up for it, it's just that he's going to be 5-10 kilos heavier than the average defender at 103-105 kgs instead of 110.

While general physical fitness is something to strive for in your day-to-day life, these guys are at the bleeding edge, and pushing the needle into the red all the time could have negative long-term impacts. The AFL have a duty-of-care to continually assess this and induce a game style that elicits quality of life while still remaining true to the fundamentals of the game.

One of those fundamentals is 18 players on the field.

Last edited:
The notion of 16 a side simply won't work as it will change the landscape of the game.
The game will reduce congestion on the field and we will end up watching players on there own out in the open creating more run, less tacklng , less stoppages, faster paced and realistically take away from the physical aspect of the game.
The concept of applying pressure to opponents, tackling and causing stoppages will dramatically be reduced as players will have more time and a lot more real estate to make and create play.
AFL is known for its unforgiving high paced, high pressure, man on man, bone crunching contests.
If this is taken out of the game, the game becomes less enjoyable not to mention you also to a degree restrict players abilities to take high flying marks over opponents and packs. The licklyhood of natural footballers playing at the highest level will diminish as athletes will be preferred as the game requires a lot more running and increased work load.
There is just to much to lose by reducing the amount of players on the field, the game over the years has changed so much compared to when I was growing playing in the local league.
Due to strategy and the evolution of AFL, teams play more zoning than traditional positions and to take 2 players a side away will ensure the game is dominated and evolves into a team almost packed with midfielders and see the death of more traditional type KPP.
This may seem a little over the top but I'm a traditionalist and don't like to see the rules changed, I wish the game would revert back somewhat to where tactics rely on players playing in traditional positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thought out post there, BFL. Just couldn't see the physical aspect dropping so much. Players still have to get the ball, hang onto it, move it through traffic and avoid opposition forces coming at them from 360 degrees.

http://s.build001.aflprod.com/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Laws-of-the-game-charter.pdf

There is a link to the AFL charter.

Refer to page 6 - "Fundamental elements of Australian Football"
-Played with an oval ball
-Played on an oval shaped ground
-Has 18 players on the field per team
-Is a match consisting of 4 quarters

The list goes on.

There it is in black and white. 18 players is a FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENT.

Why bother getting this charter put together to protect the game so the fundamental elements do not change. AFL commission signed off on it only a few years ago... Now talk about changing to 16 players starts again?

Nope sorry AFL commission. It's a fundamental element. Leave it alone.

http://s.build001.aflprod.com/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Laws-of-the-game-charter.pdf

There is a link to the AFL charter.

Refer to page 6 - "Fundamental elements of Australian Football"
-Played with an oval ball
-Played on an oval shaped ground
-Has 18 players on the field per team
-Is a match consisting of 4 quarters

The list goes on.

There it is in black and white. 18 players is a FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENT.

Why bother getting this charter put together to protect the game so the fundamental elements do not change. AFL commission signed off on it only a few years ago... Now talk about changing to 16 players starts again?

Nope sorry AFL commission. It's a fundamental element. Leave it alone.
I'm putting you in the 'no' column, IbB.........

He's been trialling as a mod in his own OP's for many years.

Gunna happen.......Just has to believe in himself and go the journey.

I have faith.
you'll be the first to hear from me..........

you'll be the first to hear from me..........

30 years of Big Footying, and near on 100k of posts between us, and not even a blip into the world of Mod-Shippering.

We're the oldest buggers on this joint, and we still sit at the back of the class.

I love this place!!

He's been trialling as a mod in his own OP's for many years.

Gunna happen.......Just has to believe in himself and go the journey.

I have faith.

Damm sure this is a Mod free Thread!!!

I think the old marsupial has been given the green light here!!!!!

By th way I'm loving the 16 a Side WAFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back