AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Okay let's give a dedicated thread a run.

I don't think this is marginalising the sport as this thread has a chance to stay front and centre among other general AFL discussion.

I only caught parts of the games this weekend, but the skill level seems to have improved (now the nerves are gone), however I'd like to ask the players to STOP PLAYING THE WOMAN, play the ball more please. We know you're tough! You don't need to prove it every contest. The umpires are part to blame by letting a lot of stuff that would be called in an AFL game slide.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
I've thoroughly enjoyed the competition, hopefully we can all follow a team at some stage. I'll continue to support Erin Phillips.

I'm comfortable where the club is at and still don't think our indigenous academies and overall work with indigenous communities gets enough credit.

Such freaking shame.

AFL I want to give you my money.....WHY won't you take my money.

Yep, the AFL may ultimately live to regret aligning the women's teams to the men's. 18 womens teams will be far too many for a good many years, could see several latent supporter bases become disenfranchised.

Surely West Coast and Sydney would be front and centre for 2018 if they fast track expansion.

West Coast holds a provisional licence but Sydney doesn't. Gill already on record as saying 2019 at earliest.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, the AFL may ultimately live to regret aligning the women's teams to the men's. 18 womens teams will be far too many for a good many years, could see several latent supporter bases become disenfranchised.
You are correct, but a club like Port Adelaide or WCE getting shunned in favour of a lions side is a travesty.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Solid effort from Phillips

upload_2017-2-13_16-32-57.png

You are correct, but a club like Port Adelaide or WCE getting shunned in favour of a lions side is a travesty.

The Lions can't even run their men's team properly and have been complaining for years of a lack of funds and infrastructure. But nah, have a women's team too, she'll be right.

:drunk:

The Lions got a side because the Qld women's comp is so much stronger than the one in SA and they are in Div 1 of the national champs and push WA, the 2nd best team, and SA linger in Div 2. They have the most females participating in the game of any state. The AFL 2015 annual report. page 85, said there were 318,880 Female Participants in Oz.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-womens-league.1118757/page-6#post-42387798
At the end of 2015, there was more than 71,000 girls and women involved in Australian Football in Queensland, a number unequalled anywhere else in Australia. Queensland alone accounts for 23% of the total female footy participation in Australia, and is the top state for overall female participants on the back of hugely successful schools program.

These numbers include
  • 42 Senior teams (1,198 participants)
  • 66 Youth teams (1,147 participants)
  • 8,300 particpants in Auskick
  • 58,877 in school programs
The top tier Queensland womens competition is a six team competition, designed to funnel the best talent into the best teams, with five teams in Brisbane and one on the Gold Coast. Beneath this are 17 different competitions throughout the state ranging from Townsville and Mckay down through the Darling Downs to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-womens-league.1118757/page-6#post-42387798

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Would be great if the AFLW could be played as the reserves comps were played pre-AFL, as curtainraisers to the AFL game. Can't see there would be a slackening off of crowds, a large number of the AFL ticketholders would be making sure they turned up earlier and I doubt if there were very many people who went to the free entry games who weren't AFL ticketholders anyway. It would at the very least improve things for the caterers who would be able to sell their foodstuffs at grossly inflated prices for longer.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Surely West Coast and Sydney would be front and centre for 2018 if they fast track expansion.
West Coast holds a provisional licence but Sydney doesn't. Gill already on record as saying 2019 at earliest.

Brian Cook is keen to get Geelong involved - going on about how they've spent a $bazillion on female change room facilities and already employing the necessary extra staff, blah blah

Saw Erin on The Weekly with Charlie Pickering. She holds herself with such grace and dignity and speaks so well.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Lions got a side because the Qld women's comp is so much stronger than the one in SA and they are in Div 1 of the national champs and push WA, the 2nd best team, and SA linger in Div 2. They have the most females participating in the game of any state. The AFL 2015 annual report. page 85, said there were 318,880 Female Participants in Oz.

At the end of 2015, there was more than 71,000 girls and women involved in Australian Football in Queensland, a number unequalled anywhere else in Australia. Queensland alone accounts for 23% of the total female footy participation in Australia, and is the top state for overall female participants on the back of hugely successful schools program.

These numbers include
  • 42 Senior teams (1,198 participants)
  • 66 Youth teams (1,147 participants)
  • 8,300 particpants in Auskick
  • 58,877 in school programs
The top tier Queensland womens competition is a six team competition, designed to funnel the best talent into the best teams, with five teams in Brisbane and one on the Gold Coast. Beneath this are 17 different competitions throughout the state ranging from Townsville and Mckay down through the Darling Downs to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
As usual quality info.

Thanks.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers

Would be interesting to know why Sydney haven't pursued a license given market size and being the most established Sydney based club

Would be interesting to know why Sydney haven't pursued a license given market size and being the most established Sydney based club

I don't reckon they had a choice when the AFL were only going to have one team in NSW.

Back