Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to believe that once, but not anymore. That is the kind of thinking that delayed Walkers development.

All you have to do is look at GWS....flogged and flogged for years, yet had to compete against men. Baptism by fire and now they have developed. It has not been detrimental to them!!

It all comes down to team balance. Balance of maturity, ability, and potential. You play a kid if he is doing all the right things and there is legitimately a spot for him to fill. You don't hold him back. That was Craig's way and we all saw how that ended.
Great post.

I used to believe that once, but not anymore. That is the kind of thinking that delayed Walkers development.

All you have to do is look at GWS....flogged and flogged for years, yet had to compete against men. Baptism by fire and now they have developed. It has not been detrimental to them!!

It all comes down to team balance. Balance of maturity, ability, and potential. You play a kid if he is doing all the right things and there is legitimately a spot for him to fill. You don't hold him back. That was Craig's way and we all saw how that ended.

GWS are not a good example, they had so many picks they could afford a high failure rate. They also didn't have players ahead of those kids to keep them out. Playing kids before they are ready hasn't worked for Gold Coast, hasn't worked for Melbourne, didn't work for Carlton, hasn't worked for Brisbane.

But the bolded part you are essentially saying you wait until the player is ready, if they are doing all the right things and there is a spot for them, then they are ready. Craig didn't think walker was "doing all the right things" that's why he held him back.

GWS are not a good example, they had so many picks they could afford a high failure rate. They also didn't have players ahead of those kids to keep them out. Playing kids before they are ready hasn't worked for Gold Coast, hasn't worked for Melbourne, didn't work for Carlton, hasn't worked for Brisbane.

But the bolded part you are essentially saying you wait until the player is ready, if they are doing all the right things and there is a spot for them, then they are ready. Craig didn't think walker was "doing all the right things" that's why he held him back.
Sure but it is not detrimental to them. They are not going to suddenly lose all the years of skill because they were played too early. There is a reason why the younger brothers of footy players are often better than the older one.....they have to work extra harder to get ball.

It may not be the best team balance but I would argue it is not detrimental.

But anyway....

If a kid has obvious tallent and fills a need,you trickle feed them into the side over the course of a season and then you rotate them. If a senior stalwart is stinking it up whilst a young talent is doing all the right things, then you play the kid and ask the senior player to fight for his position otherwise they get complacent
You rotate your team throughout the year, so come finals time you dont have to play injured players due to noone else having been given any exposure throughout the year.

Noone Ive seen is suggesting we put every senior player out to pasture and play all the kids together at once.

We do the opposite where we hold them back until senior is completely cooked then throw the kid in the deep end and scratch our heads
when their output doesnt match that of the senior player in their prime.Reinstating the senior player due to the number of games played moreso than any form or foresight.

Doing this also allows the older legs rest periods not on offer through the fixture,which also gives them a better chance of not burning out before the pointy end.

Sure but it is not detrimental to them. They are not going to suddenly lose all the years of skill because they were played too early. There is a reason why the younger brothers of footy players are often better than the older one.....they have to work extra harder to get ball.

It may not be the best team balance but I would argue it is not detrimental.

But anyway....

Like I said it can be detrimental to their development. The use of the word "can" implies not always. There are players who benefit from being thrown to the wolves, there are players who need to be slowly acclimatised to AFL football. GWS had no choice but to throw their playing list to the wolves, and if you look at their failure rate, their high picks who left the club or have never realised the talent they were expected to show, they have a failure rate that we could not afford to have.

I'd also say the younger brother thing is a myth too, for every younger brother who is a better player there are countless younger brothers who never even get drafted.

Noone Ive seen is suggesting we put every senior player out to pasture and play all the kids together at once.

the post I was responding to was

Don't have the players for a current tilt, therefore play the draftees and build for the future.

Can't have a nothing year where we do neither.

I said we play the best possible 22 until while we are a chance, if we get to mid-year and are struggling to make the finals, then we play the kids.

Thommo won't be there it will be Sloane, Matt and CEY without Brad

CEY is clearly needed as the big body we simply don't have one unless Thommo is back in there, Douglass has a mature body who could be there.

We were talking about a replacement for Brad Crouch, and that why I suggested that the Door opens for Gallucci If Thommo plays or doesn't is another conversation for another post.
To replace Brad they run a few more players thru the middle for longer periods, this allows then run Gallucci who is along with Poholke training very well.
As for bigger Bodies, Don't rule out Geenwood, Hampton, then you can even look at Atkins, Gore even Poholke all who are bigger and similar weight as Thommo. Douglas is small and in the Wigg and Liard areas while Sloane, Matt, Gallucci, Knight are bigger and with similar weight.

Like I said before CEY looking at replacing Lyons or Thommo, But for a Brad replacement, you need a Quick player with Pace more so against GWS at Home. If CEY misses out on the Lyon or Thommo position then he does not play as a replacement for Brad

You rotate your team throughout the year, so come finals time you dont have to play injured players due to noone else having been given any exposure throughout the year.

Wonder if a rotation policy/system might be a good idea if we continue to have a good run with players being in good health and playing well but not enough spots to fill.

For example, if we had 4 similar players set for 3 spots/roles, then if each takes a turn to have a rest in the 2nds every 4th game, then they'd all get to play 3 games in between rests. The rotation could be suspended for anything like injury, very specific match ups required against opposition teams, drops in form, etc - and there may be some players you might exclude from the rotations because of their lock-in importance to the team.

The goal is to make sure that players playing well enough to deserve being on the senior team don't languish in the 2nds for too long.

We were talking about a replacement for Brad Crouch, and that why I suggested that the Door opens for Gallucci If Thommo plays or doesn't is another conversation for another post.
To replace Brad they run a few more players thru the middle for longer periods, this allows then run Gallucci who is along with Poholke training very well.
As for bigger Bodies, Don't rule out Geenwood, Hampton, then you can even look at Atkins, Gore even Poholke all who are bigger and similar weight as Thommo. Douglas is small and in the Wigg and Liard areas while Sloane, Matt, Gallucci, Knight are bigger and with similar weight.

Like I said before CEY looking at replacing Lyons or Thommo, But for a Brad replacement, you need a Quick player with Pace more so against GWS at Home. If CEY misses out on the Lyon or Thommo position then he does not play as a replacement for Brad

The thing is there will be plenty run through the mid

But Round 1 Starting centre Bounce

Jacobs, Sloane,Mcrouch , CEY for mine, who is your four to start the season at the centre bounce?

Jacobs, Sloane,Mcrouch , CEY for mine, who is your four to start the season at the centre bounce?

Barring last minute injuries, Jacobs, Sloane, Matt, and Hampton. With Seeds and Milera on the wings.

Need to remember Hampton a big Boy, stats = 187cm and 90kg but I believe he 188 and 90kg of Muscle. with pace and strength thru the legs.

Barring last minute injuries, Jacobs, Sloane, Matt, and Hampton. With Seeds and Milera on the wings.

Need to remember Hampton a big Boy, stats = 187cm and 90kg but I believe he 188 and 90kg of Muscle. with pace and strength thru the legs.

Fair call, but Hampton doesnt use that size what so ever, he is very much a give and receive type guy he simply doesnt use that size like CEY, Thommo or probably even Galluci would.

Hampton reminds me in a sense of JJ has all this size about himself but doesnt hurt anyone or use it against the opposition

Fair call, but Hampton doesnt use that size what so ever, he is very much a give and receive type guy he simply doesnt use that size like CEY, Thommo or probably even Galluci would.

Hampton reminds me in a sense of JJ has all this size about himself but doesnt hurt anyone or use it against the opposition

Just wait on Hampton he will surprise a few and prove a few wrong. I have an advantage as I saw him play live in the middle as a kid before they made him a defender.
As for JJ that's an old fallacy from people that want a player to crash packs and not get the ball. I would rather a Player that gets the ball than one who cannot but is good at crashing packs.
Anyhow this is about Gallucci and his chances of playing the first game, with his quickness and run and again an Outside Inside player of the Sloane mould.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said it can be detrimental to their development. The use of the word "can" implies not always. There are players who benefit from being thrown to the wolves, there are players who need to be slowly acclimatised to AFL football. GWS had no choice but to throw their playing list to the wolves, and if you look at their failure rate, their high picks who left the club or have never realised the talent they were expected to show, they have a failure rate that we could not afford to have.

I'd also say the younger brother thing is a myth too, for every younger brother who is a better player there are countless younger brothers who never even get drafted.
Tell you what. I will meet you half way. I would argue that the whole detrimental debate exists but is used too much to justify why teams refuse to play kids. There are times when it is true, but natural born footy players are born to play footy. I think it is just as detrimental to keep some of the guys at a SANFL level then playing AFL and because of that they end up on the scrap heap with loads of wasted potential.

Don't worry, Hampton throws his weight around when he is right amongst it. Is a powerful guy with a big frame. Hence why I'm excited to see what he can do amongst the midfield group playing as that dynamic mid.

Interesting, we should play 4 draftees this year for 22 rounds and the two who look no chance of ever making it, we bundle together and flog off to SOS for a first rounder like GWS do

Don't worry, Hampton throws his weight around when he is right amongst it. Is a powerful guy with a big frame. Hence why I'm excited to see what he can do amongst the midfield group playing as that dynamic mid.

Never seen him do it, watched him play college footy as a junior he ran very wide. I guess he doesn't have a track record of it, so time will tell if he has added that to his game. A lot of optimism is being shown, I like Hampton just not as a mid, I think he will go missing to often, maybe an outside mid on the wing or HBF where he will use his run

You could put CEY in this basket too.

Gallucci, just for spex :D

Jacobs, Sloane , M Crouch and Knight

Tell you what. I will meet you half way. I would argue that the whole detrimental debate exists but is used too much to justify why teams refuse to play kids. There are times when it is true, but natural born footy players are born to play footy. I think it is just as detrimental to keep some of the guys at a SANFL level then playing AFL and because of that they end up on the scrap heap with loads of wasted potential.

I don't think it's used as an excuse to keep guys in the reserves, I think it's lessons learned from guys like Jack Watts, Mathew Cruiser & Richard Tambling. Of course you could argue that these guys had the careers they were always going to have and they were never going to become the players they were expected to be pre-draft, and we will never know the answer to that, but there have been a lot of examples of high draft picks never becoming good players after spending years getting belted in bottom teams while players taken by the teams up the top of the ladder later in the draft had to earn their spot and became better players. I don't think Menzel would be worse off if Carlton made him wait in the reserves and properly earn his place in their side. I'm pretty sure Tex has since said he hated Craig at the time for keeping him in the reserves but now acknowledges it was the right call and made him less of a one-dimensional player.

I can accept that he went well in the SANFL, and I have been a supporter for a long time, but I haven't seen him throw his weight around. Has he actually done this in SANFL? He really needs to do this to become a better player.

He used his strength to extract the ball, granted it's the SANFL but he didn't do a Dean Gore and disappoint

Remove this Banner Ad

Back