Co-captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones has never been a hugely polished media performer (though he looks like Roos when compared to Goodwin), but I think him admitting that he was surprised isn't a good thing. It doesn't sound like it was player driven, it sounds like a coach with grand ideas pushing ahead with them. Maybe Viney becomes our greatest ever captain, but in my opinion this just shows that the club has a way to go yet in proving that the coaching succession will work. I simply can't imagine a world where Roos would have done this and left any room for Jones to have been at all surprised. This strikes me as a Tony Abbott-like 'captains call' (excuse the pun).

Also, this is nothing against Viney. I think he could still use another year as VC to learn to channel his aggression into more Rance styles hits, and less Ebert, but he would be a very deserving captain if we'd needed one. As it stands, we didn't need one - because we had a 29-year old incumbent who is already a club legend and was obviously under the impression that he was continuing.
Are you basing Goodwin in the media off that one piece? He was gold on SEN, and from what I know that was a much longer interview, he's been on MMM before and was good there too.

Jones has never been a hugely polished media performer (though he looks like Roos when compared to Goodwin), but I think him admitting that he was surprised isn't a good thing. It doesn't sound like it was player driven, it sounds like a coach with grand ideas pushing ahead with them. Maybe Viney becomes our greatest ever captain, but in my opinion this just shows that the club has a way to go yet in proving that the coaching succession will work. I simply can't imagine a world where Roos would have done this and left any room for Jones to have been at all surprised. This strikes me as a Tony Abbott-like 'captains call' (excuse the pun).

Also, this is nothing against Viney. I think he could still use another year as VC to learn to channel his aggression into more Rance styles hits, and less Ebert, but he would be a very deserving captain if we'd needed one. As it stands, we didn't need one - because we had a 29-year old incumbent who is already a club legend and was obviously under the impression that he was continuing.

Like when Rance dropped an elbow into the back of Watt's head?

I don't think Jones ever really relished the captaincy, but did a great job when it wa thrust upon him. Guy has a small child now, probably another coming soon.... I suspect its a way to palm off the paperwork - such as captain's pre-season picks - off to Viney, while getting himr eady to take it over.

Goody much better off the cuff.
Car crash stuff when trying to remember a speech though like the other day at the captain announcement.
I think Jonesy handles himself really well in the media.
You think he's not going to come across well but he actually articulates things better than you expect.
With a 3yo and a newborn, I'm sure Viney is there to just help take the heat off in what should be a pretty positive year where I'd expect there to be a bit of media buzz around us.

That's strange about Jones and the captaincy, i always thought he really wanted to lead the club.

Anyone else get the feeling Jones seemed pretty disappointed with the decision after watching his presser? He seemed flat when talking about it to me.

Would have preferred this model in 2 seasons time.

Jones has more than earnt the right to captain a finals side and I dont see why we need another beside him.

Love Viney but this decision smells of Goodwin learning from Roos' succession plan model for coaching, but he's pulled the trigger 1 or 2 seasons too early imo.

Are you basing Goodwin in the media off that one piece? He was gold on SEN, and from what I know that was a much longer interview, he's been on MMM before and was good there too.

To be fair he was decent on SEN when I heard him pre-game last year, but there wasn't a whole lot of pressure on him as assistant. The limited amount of work he's done since taking over hasn't inspired me. Just calling it as I see it though, I don't have an agenda. I'm desperate to see him succeed for the good of all of us.

Like when Rance dropped an elbow into the back of Watt's head?

I don't think Jones ever really relished the captaincy, but did a great job when it wa thrust upon him. Guy has a small child now, probably another coming soon.... I suspect its a way to palm off the paperwork - such as captain's pre-season picks - off to Viney, while getting himr eady to take it over.

More the way he reacted when Rance dropped the elbow, rather than those petulant punches he threw at Ebert because something he said upset him.

I agree that Jones didn't relish the role, but he's grown into it. If he'd been the one to make this happen, then I'd be behind it. As it stands, it seems like Goodwin blindsided him and told him what was happening without consultation.

To be fair he was decent on SEN when I heard him pre-game last year, but there wasn't a whole lot of pressure on him as assistant. The limited amount of work he's done since taking over hasn't inspired me. Just calling it as I see it though, I don't have an agenda. I'm desperate to see him succeed for the good of all of us.

More the way he reacted when Rance dropped the elbow, rather than those petulant punches he threw at Ebert because something he said upset him.

I agree that Jones didn't relish the role, but he's grown into it. If he'd been the one to make this happen, then I'd be behind it. As it stands, it seems like Goodwin blindsided him and told him what was happening without consultation.
That's the only thing I've seen that wasn't great. His stuff on SEN and MMM since taking over has been good. SEN was great

Would have preferred this model in 2 seasons time.

Jones has more than earnt the right to captain a finals side and I dont see why we need another beside him.

Love Viney but this decision smells of Goodwin learning from Roos' succession plan model for coaching, but he's pulled the trigger 1 or 2 seasons too early imo.
Yeah I rekin you nailed it there

This decision is an absolute lemon. Needlessly destabilises things on the eve of what should be a really positive season ahead. To have goody come out and try and meekly sell his decision just made it 1000x worse.

Don't be fooled people. Goody may still be in his honeymoon period, but that captains call was Neeld level bad. PJ must be facepalming as we speak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting the impression Goodwin simply DGAF what anyone thinks. He would've known a move like this would raise eyebrows and maybe be seen as a backhander to Jonesy. He thinks it's the right move so he's charging ahead regardless. I don't think he's one for sentimentality, which is a good thing.

This still feels premature. I don't see what wouldn't have been achieved by having Viney as VC. But that's an outside perspective from someone who thinks the concept of co-captains is a bit of a wank.

I'll only become a strong opponent if either Jones or Viney's game turns to s**t next season.

I think people are really demonstrating how little understanding of footy clubs they have. It wouldn't (and wasn't from all accounts) be completely out of the blue for the players, it wouldn't be done without discussion with all necessary people, and it sure as s**t wasn't done and announced without PJ knowing

I'm getting the impression Goodwin simply DGAF what anyone thinks. He would've known a move like this would raise eyebrows and maybe be seen as a backhander to Jonesy. He thinks it's the right move so he's charging ahead regardless. I don't think he's one for sentimentality, which is a good thing.
Sentiment is a completely separate issue to this decision. Pissing off the club's most loyal player, or at best disappointing the club's most loyal player, isn't the work of some wonderfully cool maverick. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but its more reminiscent of a Neeld move than anything else. Remember when he turfed Moloney because he didn't like his attitude, and gave up Martin for nothing because he didn't 'meet training standards'. I would have thought Neeld was a lesson that a hard-arsed attitude doesn't work if you don't communicate properly. In this instance, Goodwin did not communicate with Jones before deciding on the move. Its clear as day.

I'm getting the impression that everyone has become a body language expert, and is analysing media soundbites wayyyyyyy too much.

The timing was the only part that could've been communicated better, this wasn't an unknown to jones

mmmm.... at the risk of sounding like I am "bitching and moaning" I would have preferred they left JV as VC for this year and depending on how the year pans out look to hand him the captaincy next year or the year after. As VC JV can still undertake some external captaincy roles such as media and promotional and the like. As all would agree he is a natural leader within the club anyway (particularly on the field both at training and game day).

It is difficult for two people to see eye to eye at all times and we risk having conflict and disunity brought into the side with a co captain model. This will become evident at the most stressful of times, and those are the times where leadership and unity is needed most.

I hope it works out though cos I love em both.

On the positive side, it feels warm and familiar to be questioning decisions of the club and generally freaked out about whether everything is about to go pear-shaped. I feel at home in this environment.

Alright, i wasn't happy with it either. But you people are overreacting
I was about to say the same thing.

We've all got our opinions on it, but what's done is done, and the decision was made based on a hell of a lot more information that we have as outsiders. It's probably time to wait and see how it all works out ... How Goody works out, how Jones as a co-captain goes, how Viney as a captain goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back