Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #82 - Ben Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at Knightmare's final 2016 Draft I'm not surprised we pounced when Ben was still on the table..

38 North Melbourne - Ben Davis
Height, weight: 187cm, 84kg
Summary profile: Powerful marking forward with size, smarts and strong one-on-one ability. Younger brother of Sydney's Abe.

Looking at Knightmare's final 2016 Draft I'm not surprised we pounced when Ben was still on the table..

Summary profile: Powerful marking forward with size, smarts and strong one-on-one ability. Younger brother of Sydney's Abe.

Geez 38, wonder how he made it all the way to our last live pick.

You're not trying to say he's a bargain because a blogger rated him?

You're not trying to say he's a bargain because a blogger rated him?
Blogger employed by foxsports as an "expert blogger" to be fair.

Every year these online mock drafts end up looking the same as each other, and not necessarily the same as the order from the clubs. Seems to be a lot of groupthink that occurs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not good enough for 1 of the 18 clubs to want to hire him though.
ESPN picked him up, so i'm assuming he knows something. Anyway

Ben Davis currently looks a lot like Mitch McGovern in the way he plays. Both are strong marks in the air and have been number one forwards in the junior ranks. Both have learned to adapt to being third talls and have similar issues with kicking and consistency. The main comparison between the pair however is the x-factor that they both share. They are both jaw dropping when they have the ball in hand as they create scoring shots for themselves.

Davis has lots of clubs interested and should be a nice pick up from the third round onwards. Although a few clubs are looking for intelligent forwards its clubs like GWS, Brisbane and Richmond all looking for medium forwards.

Ben Davis is a human highlight reel up forward. He has all of the raw tools to make it at the big time but will need time to develop in an AFL system and under the right coaching could become something special.
So at least if we lose Gov we have another one ready to go!

Blogger employed by foxsports as an "expert blogger" to be fair.

Every year these online mock drafts end up looking the same as each other, and not necessarily the same as the order from the clubs. Seems to be a lot of groupthink that occurs.

I think a lot of these Phantom Drafts a great, the trick is you have to understand that they are an amateur draft watchers opinion on the draft and as you say there is a significant amount of group think, especially for those who don't watch that much junior footy. Quite simply, if you use them as a guide, they're a great resource, similar to watching these kids highlights, but if you take them as gospel, be prepared to be disapointed.

I think a lot of these Phantom Drafts a great, the trick is you have to understand that they are an amateur draft watchers opinion on the draft and as you say there is a significant amount of group think, especially for those who don't watch that much junior footy. Quite simply, if you use them as a guide, they're a great resource, similar to watching these kids highlights, but if you take them as gospel, be prepared to be disapointed.

Most of them only watch the next crop of players, this year they will be watching the kids who will be drafted this year, compared to the recruiters who have been watching these kids since under 12s.

This is undoubted true and frankly most amateurs don't even know what to look for
I'd love to watch a game with a recruiter and have it explained what they are looking at/for.

I understand a lot of SA recruiters have a similar footballing lineage, and think in similar ways??

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-06-15/dons-draftee-update

Coach Don Pyke provides an update on the Club’s 2016 draft crop:

Pick No.75 – Ben Davis, forward
SANFL games: 0

“Benny had a foot problem which required surgery, so unfortunately we haven’t seen too much of him yet.

“He’s back running and doing some training now, so we’re really hopeful of getting him back in Round 16 – 17.

“Talking to him, I know he’s champing at the bit to get out there and see what he can do in the last half of the year.

“He’s put on a bit of size since he’s been injured and in the gym, so he’s a bigger version than he was when he arrived.”

He was a decent size already, hope he can get on the park

Me too, size, speed and agility. Even with the known foot issue too good to pass over with a late pick considering the risk/reward is weighted in our favour given his talent.
I know it's even more of a longshot that he ever plays at all, but do you reckon he has midfield potential? Has all the attributes we lack outside of Greenwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back