Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think it's used as an excuse to keep guys in the reserves, I think it's lessons learned from guys like Jack Watts, Mathew Cruiser & Richard Tambling. Of course you could argue that these guys had the careers they were always going to have and they were never going to become the players they were expected to be pre-draft, and we will never know the answer to that, but there have been a lot of examples of high draft picks never becoming good players after spending years getting belted in bottom teams while players taken by the teams up the top of the ladder later in the draft had to earn their spot and became better players. I don't think Menzel would be worse off if Carlton made him wait in the reserves and properly earn his place in their side. I'm pretty sure Tex has since said he hated Craig at the time for keeping him in the reserves but now acknowledges it was the right call and made him less of a one-dimensional player.

LOL. :)

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty apt description of the way he plays really

He could impose himself more, Mumford he ain't

His early development was of course stunted by injury not by played early. Expectations didn't help him, watts or Bling either

A better question isn't whether playing guys early hurts their development, but whether expectations and demands from the supporter base lead to the next great White hope being played before he's ready.

Early opportunities are great, but if you're only playing a guy not ready to play because the supporters demand it then that's going to cause problems

He could impose himself more, Mumford he ain't

His early development was of course stunted by injury not by played early. Expectations didn't help him, watts or Bling either

A better question isn't whether playing guys early hurts their development, but whether expectations and demands from the supporter base lead to the next great White hope being played before he's ready.

Early opportunities are great, but if you're only playing a guy not ready to play because the supporters demand it then that's going to cause problems
Watts' first game probably a prime example.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Never seen him do it, watched him play college footy as a junior he ran very wide. I guess he doesn't have a track record of it, so time will tell if he has added that to his game. A lot of optimism is being shown, I like Hampton just not as a mid, I think he will go missing to often, maybe an outside mid on the wing or HBF where he will use his run

I think as a youngster he was very much outside as he was slightly built and obviously play to his strengths, being quite quick and skillful. Now that he has put on some serious size and really grown into his frame I think he has a lot more confidence and aggression to go inside if need be. He lidd some really good tackles late in the SANFL season last year.

I think staying fit this PS will also help him stay in games longer and increase his repeat efforts and defensive pressure.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think as a youngster he was very much outside as he was slightly built and obviously play to his strengths, being quite quick and skillful. Now that he has put on some serious size and really grown into his frame I think he has a lot more confidence and aggression to go inside if need be. He lidd some really good tackles late in the SANFL season last year.

I think staying fit this PS will also help him stay in games longer and increase his repeat efforts and defensive pressure.

No different to his brotehr, when he was playing juniors he was in comparison to the other kids on the larger side, he had a huge advantage of getting the ball delivering then going hard to receive it back and break lines rather than extract the ball. Like I said he may have brought that into his game but didnt appear to have last year, it may be something the team is working on with him. But his explaosive pace and his ability to not stop and keep going is his strenght being caught in the hustle and bustle of traffic will not show case his weapons which could be handy, would be a perfect replacement for someone like Mackay but a bit more size about him.

I would be very surprised to see him ever line up as an inside mid, I really like the way he goes about the give and receive and wouldnt want to see that reduced or lost

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, he was a fully mature ruckman by then.

I reckon it went wrong after the deed poll ;)

What does being a fully mature ruckman have to do with anything? Are you saying if you've badly handled a player for 56 games there is no damage done as long as you treat them properly at least once before they become mature? That you can only ruin a player if you mishandle them all the way until they are a mature footballer?

You think it's not possible that 3 years of getting your ass handed to you by every ruckmen and defender you play against can have no impact on your confidence and self-belief because you are not a mature ruckman?

That's like saying to a person, "why are you traumatised? you weren't even a teenager when your parent's stopped beating you"

I dont think Thommo will get the gig, has had a totally interupted pre season, maybe if that wasnt the case he would have started, CEY for mine at the opening bounce
Hampton for mine.

Curtly Rory Matty

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont think Thommo will get the gig, has had a totally interupted pre season, maybe if that wasnt the case he would have started, CEY for mine at the opening bounce

Not totally interrupted according to reports. Has missed contact drills courtesy of a shoulder injury. He'll be at his best fresh off a preseason and the shoulder injury, provided it's settled by round 1, won't impact his form early as he's not really subject to form in the role he plays. It's only about being able to cover ground and run out games, which won't be impacted by his shoulder.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
What does being a fully mature ruckman have to do with anything? Are you saying if you've badly handled a player for 56 games there is no damage done as long as you treat them properly at least once before they become mature? That you can only ruin a player if you mishandle them all the way until they are a mature footballer?

You think it's not possible that 3 years of getting your ass handed to you by every ruckmen and defender you play against can have no impact on your confidence and self-belief because you are not a mature ruckman?

That's like saying to a person, "why are you traumatised? you weren't even a teenager when your parent's stopped beating you"
Kruezer finished 4th in the Rising Star award in his debut season.

He played all the games and finished 5th in Carlton's B&F during his second season.

He did his ACL halfway through his 3rd season.

I'd love Gallucci to get a taste this season. You'd think Milera is better prepared now to sink his teeth into a first 22 position thanks to the apprenticeship he served last year than he'd be if it was a level he'd never experienced.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide

He played all the games and finished 5th in Carlton's B&F during his second season.

I'd love Gallucci to get a taste this season. You'd think Milera is better prepared now to sink his teeth into a first 22 position thanks to the apprenticeship he served last year than he'd be if it was a level he'd never experienced.

Fair points, but I don't think Milera was gifted games, he had a skill set that our side lacked and was dropped when he wasn't delivering.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not totally interrupted according to reports. Has missed contact drills courtesy of a shoulder injury. He'll be at his best fresh off a preseason and the shoulder injury, provided it's settled by round 1, won't impact his form early as he's not really subject to form in the role he plays. It's only about being able to cover ground and run out games, which won't be impacted by his shoulder.

So... you're saying that he's now playing a non-statistical role? :D

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

You would expect Galluci to get the same sort of go as Milera did last year, although saying that he may not as they would be having to bring Doedee as another 1st timer into the team, only so many will be given a go that havent played an AFL game yet, it comes down to timing and injury count

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You would expect Galluci to get the same sort of go as Milera did last year, although saying that he may not as they would be having to bring Doedee as another 1st timer into the team, only so many will be given a go that havent played an AFL game yet, it comes down to timing and injury count
They Played 2 first gamers last year Milera and McGovern, Along with relatively inexperienced players, Atkins and Lever, So I don't see a problem, As Pyke will blood more than one if and again if they deserve a spot.
But its is a good point how many new players come into the team first up.
Gallucci and Doedee can due to different positions, Midfield /Forward in Gallucci and a Defending runner in Doedee, Along with relatively inexperienced players in Milera and Knight.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Personally think if Galluci plays it means guys like Menzel, Hampton, Seedsman Doedee and Gore are not playing

Which would be disapointing as these guys are yet to be fit/good enough to play regular AFL games and a bit of a waste trading them in and drafting them into the club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back