Podcast TNL 2017 Pre Season Episode 3 - Chat with Fages

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Sounds to me like they were a couple of ignorant morons. As a matter of fact, it is my understanding the club has the permission of the Marine Corps to use it.

I agree it was wise to avoid trouble but they really needed to get their asses kicked and I would have been glad to help you.

Apologies for my ignorant countrymen but seems to be a lot of them popping up these days.
You must make a lot of apologies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You must make a lot of apologies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Truly is stunning these days

I keep waiting to wake up having fallen asleep whilst catching a Crows game at 3am my time.

Apparently this is not a nightmare and I am awake. ;)

Mar 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sounds to me like they were a couple of ignorant morons. As a matter of fact, it is my understanding the club has the permission of the Marine Corps to use it.

I agree it was wise to avoid trouble but they really needed to get their asses kicked and I would have been glad to help you.

Apologies for my ignorant countrymen but seems to be a lot of them popping up these days.
No need to apologise. To be fair, we had drunk a couple of corrs lights by that stage so we could have added our own special twist to some of the lines but nothing that warranted their response I wouldn't have thought.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had to chuckle when I saw that on the front page. Dowdy is a top guy who doesn't mind spending a corporate dollar or two. Shouted me many a feast at Greek on Halifax in his Optus days :)

Salespeople can sell themselves into management roles in the same manner that bankers get themselves into accounting roles. Debacles generally ensue.

Great listen CastCrew. :)

Interesting to hear strategic direction on expanding membership with new communication strategies.

Also, interesting to hear discussions around making our football department the best, including use of external reviewers.

Really appreciate the time taken to meet the club & feed the discussion back to us, including the audio with Fages. Hope the BF negativity by some won't lead you all to lose any of your enthusiasm to contribute to BF/CC.

Keep up the great work. :)

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don't see why the club would need permission as the marine corp did not write the melody, and the song is public domain.

I don't see why the club would need permission as the marine corp did not write the melody, and the song is public domain.

Thought I had read somewhere they did it out of courtesy. But perhaps I mixed that up with Sydney and Notre Dame.

I understand but I know the wiki page claims the following:

Some websites, including the official USMC website, claim that the U.S. Marine Corps secured a copyright on the song either 19 August 1891 or 18 August 1919; however, US Copyright Law prohibits the US Federal government, including subordinate agencies, from holding domestic copyrights, and as such, the song falls into the public domain. However, several composers do hold copyrights on different arrangements of the song. These copyrights cover only the specific arrangements and not the song as a whole.

So perhaps the club did not seek permission but I could have sworn I ran across an article that said they asked out of courtesy maybe??

Then again perhaps Trump is right and I just am spreading fake news. :(

Might be time to deport me humanely ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Great listen CastCrew. :)

Interesting to hear strategic direction on expanding membership with new communication strategies.

Also, interesting to hear discussions around making our football department the best, including use of external reviewers.

Really appreciate the time taken to meet the club & feed the discussion back to us, including the audio with Fages. Hope the BF negativity by some won't lead you all to lose any of your enthusiasm to contribute to BF/CC.

Keep up the great work. :)
Thanks Kane, and no, we wouldnt give the handful of trolls the satisfaction ;)

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I understand but I know the wiki page claims the following:

Some websites, including the official USMC website, claim that the U.S. Marine Corps secured a copyright on the song either 19 August 1891 or 18 August 1919; however, US Copyright Law prohibits the US Federal government, including subordinate agencies, from holding domestic copyrights, and as such, the song falls into the public domain. However, several composers do hold copyrights on different arrangements of the song. These copyrights cover only the specific arrangements and not the song as a whole.

So perhaps the club did not seek permission but I could have sworn I ran across an article that said they asked out of courtesy maybe??

Then again perhaps Trump is right and I just am spreading fake news. :(

Might be time to deport me humanely ;)

Haha it is all good. You could be right though given that the melody is synonymous with the US Marine Corps.

What good would it do to sink the boot into their donkeys?

What good would it do to sink the boot into their donkeys?

See I was afraid this had happened when I saw the most recent avatar change.

You have turned into a complete fancy dog now. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back