2017 Chat with the Club - now with answers see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes you think they're not aware? They're very aware, as Fagan stated, acknowledging it's a results oriented business and they expect feedback (good or bad) when it comes.

Trust me, he knows exactly what the various points of view are. And thats not be being secret squirrel, thats acknowledging the extensive efforts the club is going into supporter engagement, data mining, marketing, media and social media. It's his pet project and a major plank of the club's ongoing operations.
If fan engagement is a true priority, how can they not be aware of the complete contempt most hold of the song line 'known as the Adelaide Crows' ?? It's been there now for 7+ years. And as you spoke about, no-one at the club was even aware of it. Does this show how removed they actually are and where the club engagement actually is in reality ??

If fan engagement is a true priority, how can they not be aware of the complete contempt most hold of the song line 'known as the Adelaide Crows' ?? It's been there now for 7+ years. And as you spoke about, no-one at the club was even aware of it. Does this show how removed they actually are and where the club engagement actually is in reality ??
And how would they not know that the logo isn't actually a Crow

I wasn't comfortable posting what I did and I wasn't going to because I know you and the others are passionate about it and you put a lot of work into it.

As for the questions, not all were asked.

As for the logo, maybe I shouldn have given you license to mercifully bag the crap out of it to get the point across ;)
Nah mate its a fair point you raise. I just dont have an answer to it.

Most media is just an outlet for the clubs to get their messages out there. If you want access, then you need to report "even handedly", otherwise you're Rucci.

If I recall, this was the knock on the q/a the first time it was done too. And to be fair, on the cast we had some lively discussion after the Q/A on various points, because some of us (me included) we'rent particularly satisfied with some of the answers we got. But if you go in there and ask your first question and then arc up over the answer, how many more questions do you think get asked? So it's a means to an end. Do the board want access and the opportunity to ask direct questions to the club? If yes, then the Board has to accept the parameters within which those questions get framed and asked.

Thats reality.

Its a fair question I suppose, except to say that the ex players weren't even aware. It's ironic that both the mens and womens teams sing it properly after wins. Shutts himself has told me it is now a bit of a club mystery, and they are looking into it - so I guess its an example of the value of the discussion we had :)

"why has the club song dropped Mighty" isn't really riveting stuff.

Pigs ring!
Why did we bastardise our club song? The club shut it down without providing any answers. The new version of the song was played by the club and that was that.
We ARE the Mighty Adelaide Crows!!!!!
ANYONE that has been following the club since inception sings it as the Mighty Adelaide Crows.
No matter how much they push "and we're known as", its never going to cut it.
I hope it has nothing to do with the mighty fighting hawks.
As a player, would you rather be "known as" or Mighty? Trivial I know, but singing "known as" does not have the same effect on the psyche as mighty does.

See Froggys post.

Surely a comment could have been made that it doesn't even look like a Crow but a Raptor and it's not liked by some of the supprterbase.

But it's not about that, "why has the club song dropped Mighty" isn't really riveting stuff.

I would like to have known after the Gibbs debacle what lessons have we learnt?

If Organic growth doesn't work in 2017 what's the back up plan? Hearing excuses as to why we haven't recruited players is just a cop out, that's not going to help us win a flag.

What was our strategy in finding Nobles replacement because Burtons appointment looks like a job for the boys.

Sure these questions may have resulted in it being the last catch up but who cares, at least they would know there is some scrutiny out there. What did we get out of the meeting? Very little besides some player trivial info and interviews for Crowscast.

Sorry for those that went to the effort but this is how I feel about it.

Just on this one - he did actually talk a bit about Bird's appointment and it wasnt till after the Cast that I realised we hadnt mentioned it. I will include it in the notes, but again, you're unlikely to be satisfied with the answer, despite surely knowing what the club is going to say. (thats not a knock on you, I think you have a valid pov, it's just the reality of the situation.

Pigs ring!
Why did we bastardise our club song? The club shut it down without providing any answers. The new version of the song was played by the club and that was that.
We ARE the Mighty Adelaide Crows!!!!!
ANYONE that has been following the club since inception sings it as the Mighty Adelaide Crows.
No matter how much they push "and we're known as", its never going to cut it.
I hope it has nothing to do with the mighty fighting hawks.
As a player, would you rather be "known as" or Mighty? Trivial I know, but singing "known as" does not have the same effect on the psyche as mighty does.
I actually think it happened when they re-recorded the song, and as Nikki said last night, was a result of some muso/production guy thinking we say Mighty 3 times, lets change the first one. And it seems to have gone under the club's radar somewhat.

And that's what I've been saying all preseason.

So effectively keeping Thommo has meant we've passed on a late pick in the draft or rookie list and passing had nothing to do with lack of available talent.

So who was that I was in discussion with about this, Pdub Carmo ?

This isn't new information, Fagan said the same right after the draft, it doesn't mean they wouldn't have picked up a player if there was someone they wanted available. It's just a reason not to pick another player, but if the player is good enough they would change their plans. The AFL is not going to change the rules in a way that leaves any club with contracted players that they can't fit on their list. We are hoping to save cap space when the change happens since the AFL will make the list and cap fit the club who needs the biggest one. They make decisions like this because they think the benefit will be greater than any player left in the draft. But if they think a player left in the draft will be better for the club than the benefit of saving some cap space, then they take the kid.

I actually think it happened when they re-recorded the song, and as Nikki said last night, was a result of some muso/production guy thinking we say Mighty 3 times, lets change the first one. And it seems to have gone under the club's radar somewhat.
So we still would of had to of to signed off on the change. What sort of soft utensil would of agreed to that?. Will he be ok with we are the powder blues?

Nah mate its a fair point you raise. I just dont have an answer to it.

Most media is just an outlet for the clubs to get their messages out there. If you want access, then you need to report "even handedly", otherwise you're Rucci.

If I recall, this was the knock on the q/a the first time it was done too. And to be fair, on the cast we had some lively discussion after the Q/A on various points, because some of us (me included) we'rent particularly satisfied with some of the answers we got. But if you go in there and ask your first question and then arc up over the answer, how many more questions do you think get asked? So it's a means to an end. Do the board want access and the opportunity to ask direct questions to the club? If yes, then the Board has to accept the parameters within which those questions get framed and asked.

Thats reality.
If I recall correctly I the impression I got was Andrew Fagan is very switched on and even said ( paraphrase) '' there are things we do that we don't talk about because of commercial confidentiality and because we don't want to tip our hand''

So you are never getting everything anyway. But I think at least we have an opportunity to express our thoughts and ideas to the club, and that's gotta be a good thing.

This isn't new information, Fagan said the same right after the draft, it doesn't mean they wouldn't have picked up a player if there was someone they wanted available. It's just a reason not to pick another player, but if the player is good enough they would change their plans. The AFL is not going to change the rules in a way that leaves any club with contracted players that they can't fit on their list. We are hoping to save cap space when the change happens since the AFL will make the list and cap fit the club who needs the biggest one. They make decisions like this because they think the benefit will be greater than any player left in the draft. But if they think a player left in the draft will be better for the club than the benefit of saving some cap space, then they take the kid.
Sure, but you should have started with IMO though because that's all it is.

The only thing we can go on is what he's said twice now. We went short because of list space.

I'll stick with their explanation and not your opinion of what that actually means.

And Thommo has taken up a list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to some new, cringy, updated rerecorded version of the song, replacing the 20 yo one, just so we can insert mighty back into the start. Something that gets Nigel's head nodding.

Keep the hard hitting questions coming, this is groundbreaking stuff.
Hey mate, they weren't our questions, they were the Board's. So, dont be too hard on yourself :thumbsu:

Looking forward to some new, cringy, updated rerecorded version of the song, replacing the 20 yo one, just so we can insert mighty back into the start. Something that gets Nigel's head nodding.

Keep the hard hitting questions coming, this is groundbreaking stuff.
Showing your age. The cringy updated version is the song in its current form.

To confuse things further, the most recent version of our club song, that horrible version with the choir they recorded for our first game at Adelaide Oval starts with old "mighty" instead of "known as" and then it also repeats "we are the mighty, we are the mighty, we are the mighty" quite a lot.

Now that Fages knows how passionate we are about the "mighty" part of the song he might have the bright idea to switch permanently. Trying not to imagine the likes of Tex Walker belting out that version after a win.

https://audioboom.com/posts/2052729-crows-song-remastered-version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back