Ref Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting comments by Ref on Football Today discussing the Sanchez handball, saying that even though it's not handball by the letter of the law, it should be considered handball as he has scored with his hand which shouldn't happen. Should update the laws perhaps to make this clearer.

I agree with that. While it's ball to hand, I don't think a goal should stand if the hand is the only reason it's gone in.

It should be judged in the same way own goals are. If the ball isn't going in until striking the hand, intentionally or unintentionally, the goal shouldn't stand. it's accidental from a player, sure, but that shouldn't make it ok.

The other end of the spectrum would be to include hands when determining if a player is offside, as a player can't be offside if his hand is offside, as he can't score with his hand.

great decision by the ref and I thought he made it straight away?

That's my point, is that the evidence being used to think this was a live video ref.

The thinking (I don't necessarily agree with it, just think it's an interesting thought) is based on a number of games this season, not just this one. It's apparently been noticed that on occasions refs are taking an unusually long time to make key decisions and seem to be heavily focussed on their earpieces.

It was highlighted on Sky that the decision for Bournemouth's disallowed goal was made by a ref who wasnt looking at the incident amd apparently without the help of the linesman.

FWIW they've been trialling video refs in the premier league for a couple of seasons now, but without any contact with the refs.

The thinking (I don't necessarily agree with it, just think it's an interesting thought) is based on a number of games this season, not just this one. It's apparently been noticed that on occasions refs are taking an unusually long time to make key decisions and seem to be heavily focussed on their earpieces.

It was highlighted on Sky that the decision for Bournemouth's disallowed goal was made by a ref who wasnt looking at the incident amd apparently without the help of the linesman.

FWIW they've been trialling video refs in the premier league for a couple of seasons now, but without any contact with the refs.
Aguero missed a chance in your game and it took the lino literally 5 seconds to put his flag up for offsidr. He's either lazy as * or getting external input. I was laughing as Kun or any striker would have been furious had they scored haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I've noticed this as well, just assumed it was them speaking to their linesman/assistants rather than video ref.

Yeah I've noticed this as well, just assumed it was them speaking to their linesman/assistants rather than video ref.
It may well be that although Sky did say that the Bournemouth one was a decision by the ref, not the linesman (who didnt flag).

Usually they make a big deal of running over to talk to the lino if there is doubt. Although they may have been instructed not to do that any more if you can sort it out through comms.

the refs association pgmol or whatever it's called have said sanchez' goal shouldn't have stood. unintentional handball that results in a goal is still handball

Yeah I mentioned above, and it seems that's the consistent line from the current refs. Not sure why Webb is the lone voice in opposition.

Surprised Mike Riley didnt say the correct decision was a penalty to Man United.

Wonder if the handball thing is their interpretation or in the laws of the game.

Yeah again as I mentioned above, the explanation is that while it's not in the laws of the game in black and white, it goes against the spirit of the laws of the game. Which is pretty BS, and should be included. Isn't hard to include a line of "Any ball not travelling into the net, but deviates in its flight and results in a goal as a result of any contact with the hand shall not be considered a goal." Or something written better than that.

Surprised Mike Riley didnt say the correct decision was a penalty to Man United.

Wonder if the handball thing is their interpretation or in the laws of the game.
Laws of the game say that handball has to be deliberate. Not sure whether the referee's have been instructed to interpret grey areas or not.

Laws of the game say that handball has to be deliberate. Not sure whether the referee's have been instructed to interpret grey areas or not.

Even ignoring the supposed interpretation the refs have adopted, I'd still maintain it was deliberate. He has his hand in the air above his head.

Then you'd be wrong. His arm was above his head already and the ball bounced up off the keeper and hit his hand before he has any chance to react.

http://arsenalist.com/f/2016-17/arsenal-vs-hull/goaaal-alexis-sanchez-1-0.html

I'm aware of where his hand was and when. I've seen the incident countless times.

If a Defender had been stood in the exact same position as Sanchez with their hand above their head trying to clear the ball that would be a penalty every day of the week and you would demand a penalty for it.

Hell we had a penalty once against Spurs where the ball was kicked into Elmo's boot, which flicked the ball up onto his hand by his side. We had a handball given against QPR where Chester was sliding on the ground and had the ball smashed into him.

You're kidding yourself if you think roles reversed the defender doesn't get penalised in that situation.

It was a handball.

I'm aware of where his hand was and when. I've seen the incident countless times.

If a Defender had been stood in the exact same position as Sanchez with their hand above their head trying to clear the ball that would be a penalty every day of the week and you would demand a penalty for it.

Hell we had a penalty once against Spurs where the ball was kicked into Elmo's boot, which flicked the ball up onto his hand by his side. We had a handball given against QPR where Chester was sliding on the ground and had the ball smashed into him.

You're kidding yourself if you think roles reversed the defender doesn't get penalised in that situation.

It was a handball.
Handball has to be deliberate. It wasn't deliberate. Therefore it wasn't handball. Get over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back