Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
And how would they not know that the logo isn't actually a Crow

One of the reasons the Crow emblem is not a Priority is because more supporters actually don't mind the emblem, I am one of them.
Remember just because you and the network you run with dislike something does not make it a popular issue or important issue.
Crow get feedback on several media and social media outlets, plus internal feedback direct to the club,
I have been asked several times on both Social media, face to face and via Phone calls my opinions of the club I am sure other members have.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Nope, nobody asked us to.
The Adelaide Rowing club was a prematch venue for a few games last year.

SMA get their cut from the Village. It is why it has been allowed to continue after the SMA cried about it and now have control over the entire precinct on match days.

KT said on AA at the start of last year they would come to an arrangement with the SMA about keeping it open. Does not take an Einstein to work out what that wa$

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you're saying what i'm saying is different to what the club is saying, but I always side with the club?

Did our club only make one decision in the off season? was the only change we considered Thommo or an unrated rookie draft pick? we didn't take any other players? Come on man, try harder than this, don't create straw men.
I'm saying you agree with the decision the club made and trying to justify their decision so you can.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If it was talent based why wouldn't they just say that? If he's right and most clubs are going in short then what he said makes sense.

I think it's time to acknowledge Thommo stopped us using a late pick.

But it's not right. Picking up a player that we can delist in one years time places us in the exact position we are right now. It's pure bullshit.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had a listen to the interview this morning. Great work by those involved in bith the podcast and meeting.

Two things stood out for me was the way Andrew sees the membership number and memberships going forward.

I have always said the raw membership figure posted by clubs is pointless. Love that Fages sees it that way too. What I liked hearing was that he sees there can alternative ways that he wants the club to engage with the surveyed 600k supporters we have and turn that engagement into dollars for the club.

I see womans footy being a step towards this. It engages a group of our supporters who otherwise would not actively support the club. But would tick the "Adelaide Crows" box in a survey.

After hearing him talk about this alternative thinking towards revenue generation via membership I can see why we actively pursued a Womans team.

The AFL is starting to go beyond the thinking of merely gettjng x amount of people to buy a supporter package for AFL games as the main source of supporter generated income and a future need to get value for the club and casual supporters (who would never attend a game) who previously had little to do with the club. Great to hear our CEO is forward thinking and able to see that.

Also pretty happy to hear about our media production busjness making money providing a service to other organisations.

It's taken the AFL a fair while to catch up with what's been going on elsewhere for years. Retail outlets have been engaging in this way for yonks. Sign up, costs nothing, get a card, feel a part of something and give us the opportunity to direct market our wares to you and remind you of our existence weekly. At our pissant little golf club with 350 full members, we get far more F&B trade from our social membership database and Facebook followers than we do from the equivalent of season ticket holders.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
It's taken the AFL a fair while to catch up with what's been going on elsewhere for years. Retail outlets have been engaging in this way for yonks. Sign up, costs nothing, get a card, feel a part of something and give us the opportunity to direct market our wares to you and remind you of our existence weekly. At our pissant little golf club with 350 full members, we get far more F&B trade from our social membership database and Facebook followers than we do from the equivalent of season ticket holders.
I woukd suspect there will be more meaningful Youtube content and email correspondance.

As Nikki said a smarter email system.

With sponsors/advertisers getting on board to market their products to an ever growing database.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
I woukd suspect there will be more meaningful Youtube content and email correspondance.

As Nikki said a smarter email system.

With sponsors/advertisers getting on board to market their products to an ever growing database.

They would likely already be tracking what you do when you receive an email. All their emails have embedded images and this is what is used to track who has opened the email, how long they spent looking at it, and what links did they then click on from the email. I use these type of analytics at my work to do the same thing. The next step would be to use the information gleaned from those analytics to create more targeted lists etc to adjust the flow of information to supporters.

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can get rid of a rookie after a year
Therefore the point that Thommo stopping us taking another rookie this year because of planning for future list numbers is also invalid. We could have had Thommo and another rookie knowing that to get down the the required number we would delist Thommo and the most underperforming rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Therefore the point that Thommo stopping us taking another rookie this year because of planning for future list numbers is also invalid. We could have had Thommo and another rookie knowing that to get down the the required number we would delist Thommo and the most underperforming rookie
Why is Fagan using it as the reason and why did we go in with predetermined list size?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

It gets them from the Crows database and onto their own too. Club gives away a cheapy prize, signed football or whatever. You enter the "competition" and you're now on Hertz, Bendigo Bank or Thomas Farms database.

Last edited:
They would likely already be tracking what you do when you receive an email. All their emails have embedded images and this is what is used to track who has opened the email, how long they spent looking at it, and what links did they then click on from the email. I use these type of analytics at my work to do the same thing. The next step would be to use the information gleaned from those analytics to create more targeted lists etc to adjust the flow of information to supporters.

Just make opening a link set a cookie, then use that cookie to track you around the entire Internet.

Use the data from the tracking to create more targeted marketing and grab high impact sponsorships.

Surely the AFC is already doing this

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Just make opening a link set a cookie, then use that cookie to track you around the entire Internet.

Use the data from the tracking to create more targeted marketing and grab high impact sponsorships.

Surely the AFC is already doing this
Since Fages, yes. Don't forget that, until recently, Telstra owned all the club sites (except Collingwood) as well as the AFL main site

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I was actually a bit disappointed with the answer and lack of follow up on the question of 'best football program'.
Results have improved slightly this is true, but the statement about 20 or so changes is a bit of a myth I suspect. He could claim 40 changes and we would believe it, with the SANFL and AFLW all coming on board.

I'm more interested in the immediate AFL football program. How many of the 'best' do we have there. It's a question that wasn't asked nor answered.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide

Cookie's don't work like that. A cookie is a text file that only your website can access, which means you can only get information to and from it while they are on your site, you can only track someone around the internet if you get every site on the internet to open up your site in a frame and pass data to that frame about what their site is and what you are doing.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why is Fagan using it as the reason and why did we go in with predetermined list size?

Really good question. Leaving the rookie spot for a catB promotion and the list spot for a rookie promotion, ie flexibility is a fair explanation. But this garbage about not taking on a player who could be delisted at end of year anyway because of the merging of the lists is odd. It's clearly not valid at all. So you need to look at reasons that they're not prepared to admit. For me it can only be an overall financial saving. But we were going to take on Gibbs, so a $60k rookie instead wouldn't cause any grief. Maybe the just didn't think it through, perhaps no one in lust management said, "yeh, but can't we just delist that guy at year's end anyway, so it's really a free swing for free".

Cookie's don't work like that. A cookie is a text file that only your website can access, which means you can only get information to and from it while they are on your site, you can only track someone around the internet if you get every site on the internet to open up your site in a frame and pass data to that frame about what their site is and what you are doing.

All you have to do is partner with an advertising company for the cookie and that's taken care of for you.

The website, in this case the AFC, would simply store some information or a tracking ID on your computer. Other websites with appropriate ads or other trackers would simply look for the cookie and then send info back to a tracking server when it finds it.

It's pretty easy to do.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
All you have to do is partner with an advertising company for the cookie and that's taken care of for you

Pretty much only facebook and google can do it reliably since they cover so much of the internet, but they don't give you user data back so you can sell it. All you can do is let them choose the ads to put on your site and they will use their data to decide which ads to use.

Pretty much only facebook and google can do it reliably since they cover so much of the internet, but they don't give you user data back so you can sell it. All you can do is let them choose the ads to put on your site and they will use their data to decide which ads to use.

Yeah maybe if you're a pleb website that only uses basic ads. The advertising and tracking landscape is much more complex.

For starters, most high-profile retailers that have a strong online presence would be using non-advert tracking scripts like Quantserve (there are many others) to track people that buy items on their website. This in turn helps them sell ads. So similarly the AFC could use a Quantserve tracker and get that data back for advertising purposes.

The AFC don't care if their supporters read JoesLawnmowerBlog.com with basic Google ads. But they do care if you're vising high profile websites like Chemist Warehouse or Toyota, which would be using a proper tracking service.

Also, most good websites don't solely rely on Google/Doubleclick for their ads. Often they use a third-party ad company which uses the ad space for a variety of ads, including those from Doubleclick. You'd have a much worse CPM if you stuck with one ad provider rather than making the most of multiple ad sources and targeted campaigns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back