Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAbpAAAAJGRiZDk2NjFlLWNlMGUtNDEwOS04NGNmLWQzY2VmNGE5ODI3OQ.jpg

F youre funny, should have been a comedian

There are many examples of players tearing up local leagues, but unable to translate that into successful AFL careers.

I call it the Brett Chalmers Syndrome.

I'm not saying that CEY is in that bucket yet; but he is getting close...

sure, we were short on vaunted superstars but lets look at the end of the season after our wet lettuce leaf game against West Coast:

- Douglas and Mackay were still in the same flaky form they'd been in all season, and Knight despite coming off a long-term injury was back up and running and looking very good in the SANFL, and also has "the Bulldogs final" as an example of being able to perform in high-pressure matches. Add Milera, who after performing OK in the AFL at the start of the season before being dropped for a rest, was humming along well by the end of the season.

- Thommo was moving around the ground at 70%. I don't think Wigg or CEY are destined to be A-graders, but it wouldn't have hurt our chances much at all to give one of them a go against North, who our SANFL side could have given a run.

- Brown had struggled through the entire back half of the year with his dodgy groin, throw Doedee in. Hell throw Kelly in, we know he can run and chase and lay a tackle.

- Jacobs and Jenkins both flaky as hell on their ankles. ROB had already held his own, maybe he's not "ready" but if Jacobs can't jump and can't cover the ground it doesn't matter if we wish we could have given ROB another preseason, he has to play. Similarly with Dear and Jenkins.

even if we make all these changes I'm confident we still would have accounted for North comfortably, even if half the new guys had stinkers. That would have been fine, you drop them back down, bring the one-week-fresher senior guys back and keep the kids who did perform. Now they know we're serious about offering opportunities AND holding the senior side to expectations on performance which is healthy for the entire club. We might just uncover someone who surprises us while we're at it.

obviously if the media said "you must be excited about how well everyone is playing in the SANFL..." I'd expect no less, but often he was bringing it up himself. There's absolutely no reason for straight-bat Pyke to go there and spill the beans on what the SANFL side is doing unless its burning in the back of his mind in his presser before every selection meeting.
I think you are overplaying Douglas poor form a little , the rest I agree with

Douglas was poor early in the season which resulted in less midfield minutes , by the end of the season his form was solid if not spectacular

He had 19 possessions , 2 goals and 3 tackles against WC playing in a high forward role . He performed at a pass rate in this role in much of second half of season and ended up around 12th in B and F

Being a former club champion and runner up it's fair enough to expect more and I don't think he had a great season but he was certainly best 22

As for Brown his form was affected by injury and he should have been dropped or rested to allow recovery

Thommo was also looking cooked and Mackay has proven not to be good enough when whips are cracking . His kick to H/B ratio in WC game proof

Wasn't there a match simulation/internal trial this morning?

Did anyone with inside connections at the crows (my name Jeff ;)) get to have a look? When will we be told about the lower limb replacements for Brad and Jake? Was Bran Nue Mackae providing excellent run and carry (possible at West Lakes Shopping Centre).

For God sakes Roocheyman, your supposed to be a journalist, get your arse out of Rigoni's and DO SOMETHING!
It was definitely on , haven't heard anything yet though

If he's doing that in his first year, then yes - there's a chance that he'll go on to be something special at the AFL level.

If he's doing that in his 5th year, then that's the absolute minimum expected and there are no expectations of anything at all at AFL level.

I agree his age is making it more and more unlikely but he is getting some runs on the board, the club decided to keep him at last contract he has done everything right since, what did they expect, if they arent going to play him now, it is one monumental utensil up! He surely couldnt have done anymore siince signing the last contract, was that a waste of time?

If we looking for like types, then Poholke a faster Thommo type, and Gallucci a Sloane type. Both will offer different styles of Play. But Poholke will need to dethrone Matt Crouch to be #1 inside mid.
Personally I like both But Gallucci speed and leap is hard to beat.
You're not giving Poholke enough credit as far as athleticism goes.

This is just a thought I had reading through these last few pages. Is it possible the AFC wanted to win the SANFL flag as well as the VFL one? If so, they would make sure they kept the SANFL team together as don't the rules say our players have to play the last few games. Didn't CEY have to get special permission to play in the finals? I maybe way off the mark but I thought I would mention it.

This is just a thought I had reading through these last few pages. Is it possible the AFC wanted to win the SANFL flag as well as the VFL one? If so, they would make sure they kept the SANFL team together as don't the rules say our players have to play the last few games. Didn't CEY have to get special permission to play in the finals? I maybe way off the mark but I thought I would mention it.

Nah Port want the flag only reason they drafted Eddy although their AFL forward line does look crap

I believe so, but the rule was stupid because it meant Rory Sloane was eligible for the SANFL finals and CEY wasn't, even though CEY had been in the state side for all but 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheney ?? There is a post on the same page which points out that he was 3rd in the AFL for intercept marks. And he is outmarked too often ??
It's a bit of a different argument , he was below average in one on one contests but elite in cutting off attacks with intercept marks which usually means supporting your other defenders

In a team defence style that we have he would get a massive tick for what he did even though he still needs to work on his 1 on 1 defending

Farkkkkkk now Sloane with a fractured eye socket and confirmed Lever has s hamstring strain. Looks like plenty of opportunities during pre season and start to the year

Farkkkkkk now Sloane with a fractured eye socket and confirmed Lever has s hamstring strain. Looks like plenty of opportunities during pre season and start to the year
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-02-17/injury-update-sloane-setback

Crows duo Rory Sloane and Jake Lever have both been sidelined by injuries sustained at training.

Sloane, 26, fractured his eye socket on Friday and will undergo surgery, but is expected to be available for Adelaide’s Round One clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Lever, 20, hurt his hamstring earlier in the week with scans revealing a minor strain. He will miss the start of the JLT Community Series, but should be available for Club’s pre-season clash with the Brisbane Lions at Noarlunga.

Crows General Manager High Performance Matt Hass said both players have had really strong pre-seasons up until now.

Sloane, 26, fractured his eye socket on Friday and will undergo surgery, but is expected to be available for Adelaide’s Round One clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Lever, 20, hurt his hamstring earlier in the week with scans revealing a minor strain. He will miss the start of the JLT Community Series, but should be available for Club’s pre-season clash with the Brisbane Lions at Noarlunga.

In other injury news, Brad Crouch is progressing well from a hamstring strain and will start to build up his training loads in the next few weeks.

Defenders Luke Brown, Alex Keath and Kyle Cheney, and wingman Paul Seedsman all remain on track to play pre-season matches.

Veteran Scott Thompson will participate in football drills next week as he recovers from a shoulder injury.

So the report card is:

Player|JLT Status|Round 1 Status
\Rory Sloane|Unlikely|Likely
\Jake Lever|Will Miss Start|Likely
\Brad Crouch|Will Miss All|May Miss
\Luke Brown|Likely|Likely
\Paul Seedsman|Likely|Likely
\Kyle Cheney|Likely|Likely
\Gun Arms Thompson|Unlikely|Unclear

So the report card is:

Player|JLT Status|Round 1 Status
\Rory Sloane|Unlikely|Likely
\Jake Lever|Will Miss Start|Likely
\Brad Crouch|Will Miss All|May Miss
\Luke Brown|Likely|Likely
\Paul Seedsman|Likely|Likely
\Kyle Cheney|Likely|Likely
\Gun Arms Thompson|Unlikely|Unclear
And we play the Giants in rd 1...oh dear

This is based on the assumption you know what you're talking about!
how about I rephrase it then, its not a litmus test to see if people know what they're talking about, its a litmus test to see if people actually watch our games closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back