Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The upside is Sloane can still run and put in the grunt work. Should be OK.

Crouch and Lever hamstrings aren't good. Clubs hate hammies in pre-season. Sets you back big time in terms of conditioning.
Interrupted pre-season can often set players back, where they can't train properly for a significant time.

Brouch is back running, so fitness levels should be much better than this time last year, but doubt he will be up to full fitness by round 1. His main issue is continuity. Ie. He doesn't breakdown again just when he gets going again.

It's been a while since we had a really stupid injury (i.e. Brad Symes falling off the back of a ute or VB's sled clanger). Sloaney's face seems to break really easily - he must be made of porcelain lol.

I am now hoping the club gives the likes of Knight and Hampton a chance to prove themselves in round one but that could depend of their performance in the trial games. Also would you say Ellis Yolmen is a lock in for round 1 or does he have to prove himself in the trial games?
The positive about no Sloane, Brouch & Thommo in the JLT series, is that we can trial nearly all our other midfield options for our vacancies. Ie. Plenty of midfield time for Mrouch, Hampton, Knight, Atkins, CEY, Milera, Smith, Laird, Greenwood, Wigg, Gallucci, Polholke, etc.

Hopefully from opportunity we unearth players who take step it up another level & they book themselves a spot in our midfield for the season.

Wish I shared your confidence with Menzel as a mid, I'm not seeing it personally.

Cameron as a mid, Menzel as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish I shared your confidence with Menzel as a mid, I'm not seeing it personally.
Think this year Menzel will mainly be a forward, with bursts in the midfield.

JLT 1 Lineup:

B: Brown, Talia, Keath
HB: Doedee, Hartigan, Laird
C: Cameron, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Milera, Dear, Lynch
F: Menzel, Jenkins, McGovern
R: ROB, CEY, Douglas
I/C: Knight, Hampton, Greenwood, Gallucci, Poholke, Otten, Wigg

EDIT: Forgot Greenwood

Last edited:
The positive about no Sloane, Brouch & Thommo in the JLT series, is that we can trial nearly all our other midfield options for our vacancies. Ie. Plenty of midfield time for Mrouch, Hampton, Knight, Atkins, CEY, Milera, Smith, Laird, Greenwood, Wigg, Gallucci, Polholke, etc.

Hopefully from opportunity we unearth players who take step it up another level & they book themselves a spot in our midfield for the season.
We have heaps of midfielders to choose from, I think some of them can step up to become A grade midfielders especially Cameron, Gallucci and Hampton.

Sloane, 26, fractured his eye socket on Friday and will undergo surgery, but is expected to be available for Adelaide’s Round One clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Lever, 20, hurt his hamstring earlier in the week with scans revealing a minor strain. He will miss the start of the JLT Community Series, but should be available for Club’s pre-season clash with the Brisbane Lions at Noarlunga.

In other injury news, Brad Crouch is progressing well from a hamstring strain and will start to build up his training loads in the next few weeks.

Defenders Luke Brown, Alex Keath and Kyle Cheney, and wingman Paul Seedsman all remain on track to play pre-season matches.

Veteran Scott Thompson will participate in football drills next week as he recovers from a shoulder injury.

no mention of Talia broken nose for the second time this preseason.

Taking Charlie's spot, who'll take a full mid spot then?
Lyons, Douglas & Cameron all played considerable time as forwards.

No Lyons & expect the other 2 will spend more time in the midfield this year, so can easily find a forward spot for Menzel.

This is great to get a look at some young guys in JLT in midfield

Not concerned re Lever . Usually start jogging with hammy strains after 5-7 days and right in 21 days

Sloaney will get up for round 1

Still think Brad is only one in major doubt for round 1

No need to wet the bed , will be a match off to see who deserves a spot in mid for round 1

Those players would benefit through having a champ in the midfield with them to ensure they get plenty of footy, without that class you may not see them shine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back