Brad Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

I see where Marty is coming from but I don't think we would be anywhere near as bad as Freo if we had to rely on our depth.

I actually don't see where Marty is coming from. The greatest football club I watched growing up...and I hated them because I was a Glenelg supporter was the Port Magpies, the real Port, not the plastic corporate shell they have evolved into. They went out each year expecting to win the flag, every year that was their plan. Not make the eight and anything can happen but we are going to win the flag. I actually feel a bit sorry for old time Magpie supporters who have transferred to the Power because the Maggies wouldn't have put up with Hinkleys s**t.

Now, there was no draft to even up the comp back then but it was an even comp, we all played by the same rules, you bought players and it wasn't like Port was the financial capital of the universe, in fact they may have been behind the eight ball more then in front of it but one thing they had was the belief that they had a squad good enough to win the flag. Christ knows they did it often enough, usually when my team was in the final against them and as much as it shitted me, I admired that strong belief.

We aren't going to challenge for a flag whilst we think " eight and something will happen" or "lets tank this year". I don't mind us playing our kids, in fact I'd rather that than get Mookay to AFL life membership but if we do, the mentality has to be harder at the ball, run faster, more second efforts and at the end of the day, more goals because the goal of this club is to win flags, not to get number one draft picks.

I actually don't see where Marty is coming from. The greatest football club I watched growing up...and I hated them because I was a Glenelg supporter was the Port Magpies, the real Port, not the plastic corporate shell they have evolved into. They went out each year expecting to win the flag, every year that was their plan. Not make the eight and anything can happen but we are going to win the flag. I actually feel a bit sorry for old time Magpie supporters who have transferred to the Power because the Maggies wouldn't have put up with Hinkleys s**t.

Now, there was no draft to even up the comp back then but it was an even comp, we all played by the same rules, you bought players and it wasn't like Port was the financial capital of the universe, in fact they may have been behind the eight ball more then in front of it but one thing they had was the belief that they had a squad good enough to win the flag. Christ knows they did it often enough, usually when my team was in the final against them and as much as it shitted me, I admired that strong belief.

We aren't going to challenge for a flag whilst we think " eight and something will happen" or "lets tank this year". I don't mind us playing our kids, in fact I'd rather that than get Mookay to AFL life membership but if we do, the mentality has to be harder at the ball, run faster, more second efforts and at the end of the day, more goals because the goal of this club is to win flags, not to get number one draft picks.
The old SANFL is a little different to the AFL though.

Also I don't think if we play young kids we are tanking, I expect them to be competitive. And I'm not talking about dropping a heap of players, the guys that we shouldn't be playing are Thommo, Mackay and Douglas if he can't get back in the midfield. The rest of our team aren't old or crap. I reckon it would be an exciting team and who knows how good they could be but we won't know if they are in the SANFL.

Also I don't think if we play young kids we are tanking, I expect them to be competitive. And I'm not talking about dropping a heap of players, the guys that we shouldn't be playing are Thommo, Mackay and Douglas if he can't get back in the midfield. The rest of our team aren't old or crap. I reckon it would be an exciting team and who knows how good they could be but we won't know if they are in the SANFL.
This.

I don't know where the tanking notion comes from. First year players are obviously a way from the peak of their powers, but early picks often can contribute something from the get go.

We have blokes who are past it (thommo), blokes who aren't up to it (Mackay)- it's a no brainer to play the new blood instead. We don't lose much in terms of output and will reap the benefit of fast tracking their development. There is enough experience in the team to allow for a couple of newbies.

This.

I don't know where the tanking notion comes from. First year players are obviously a way from the peak of their powers, but early picks often can contribute something from the get go.

We have blokes who are past it (thommo), blokes who aren't up to it (Mackay)- it's a no brainer to play the new blood instead. We don't lose much in terms of output and will reap the benefit of fast tracking their development. There is enough experience in the team to allow for a couple of newbies.

Couple of newbies yes but I think we have posters saying 5 or 6 now that seriously would affect any team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nope, comp is the same, bunch of teams, winner is called the premiership team. You don't think that what Freo did last year was tanking? because Marty thinks that's what we should do. I have no doubt that it wasn't a coincidence that Freo started winning when they were called out last year, long enough to escape criticism. If it wasn't for Melbournes disgraceful effort earlier this century causing doubts, Freo would not have won a game last year

This.

I don't know where the tanking notion comes from.

Comes from Marty, he wants our kids out of the SANFL.

I must admit I find it bizzare that we are talking about tanking the season on the basis of two players having pre season injuries. FFS, no wonder we don't make grand finals on a regular basis with this sort of supporter confidence

Nope, comp is the same, bunch of teams, winner is called the premiership team. You don't think that what Freo did last year was tanking? because Marty thinks that's what we should do. I have no doubt that it wasn't a coincidence that Freo started winning when they were called out last year, long enough to escape criticism. If it wasn't for Melbournes disgraceful effort earlier this century causing doubts, Freo would not have won a game last year

I must admit I find it bizzare that we are talking about tanking the season on the basis of two players having pre season injuries. FFS, no wonder we don't make grand finals on a regular basis with this sort of supporter confidence
I don't think Marty is even sayin that.

As for supporter confidence, that has no effect on us making Grand Finals, losing players, draft picks and average senior players will do that all by itself.

Yep I can't understand what Marty saying affects how the players play. Mentally fragile if that's the case can't think I read to many bulldogs saying they were going to win the flag last year did that affect their players?

And I don't think Sloane injury will keep him out of the side but if it had and bcrouch and Sloane were out for an extended period give me a prediction on where we would finish. I suppose you could put Hampton and Galluci in to replace them

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been told by a source from inside the club that Brad may be right to go early in the season.

View attachment 337602
Proof that i have contacts from inside the club. Blurred out the name to protect the person who may or may not be my source's identity.
Were you told this at a Muffin Break?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't appear too worried...which worries me.
that actually gives me some confidence that they're already looking beyond Round 1 which is a pleasant change, and see the positives that could come out of the team getting a bit of a shakeup.

Which means that bad man boxing's appearance on the Pies board alluding to a potential recruit is a bit concerning.
Think you will find he posted it as a s**t stir as he removed it. Talking up Jake's new contract price.

You think he's posting on the Pies board to increase Lever's contract value?
I think he is making noise on Bigfooty to talk up Jake's next contract price. Interestingly he removed that post...

Interesting, but in a bad way. If it was just a piss take and a bit of fun, it would still be there.
Imo, it was half a piss take probably after a few drinks, then removed it after thinking about possible ramifications.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back