Prediction 2017 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we are on the very verge of a new season with a new captain and many fresh faces replacing plenty of old warriors that moved on last year. What will happen this coming season? Will we bounce back from the disaster of 2016? Will our new look team steam roll their way back in to finals and become premiership contenders once more? Will our forward and back lines still struggle and our club be in for another season at the bottom end of the ladder? Will the injury and umpire gods be on our side for once? I think one thing most people would agree on is that Fremantle's 2017 season is possibly more of an unknown quantity than any other club.

I'm in the semi-optimistic camp myself. I think our midfield at full strength is capable of being the one of, if not, the best. But there are also far too many question marks with our new look forward line and our ability to rebound from defence to become confident that we will bounce back in to the 8.

So here are some of predictions (mostly optimistically) for each of our players...

THE STARS (the 10 guys on our list whose form I think will largely determine how well we perform as a team)

Fyfe - our super star will grow considerably this year in his new role as captain. He will quickly get back his best player in the league status, winning 1-on-1s, breaking tackles and being a threat wherever he is on the ground. But it is his leadership that will transform our team in to a machine again. His biggest impact will be on our up-and-coming youngsters that will have already been inspired to have prepared well and line themselves up for break out years (eg Tucker, Blakely, Weller, Langdon, Hughes etc).

Sandi - the new no 3rd man up rule should hopefully mean at stoppages big Sandi will only need to focus on winning the tap and giving our key ball winners an advantage to win the clearance. Along with Fyfe he'll also wreak havoc for any opposition that chooses to kick indirectly inside 50. And be a get-out-of-jail option for our defenders trying to transition the ball down field. Hopefully this last resort kick to the pack will need to be used less as the season progresses though.

Bennell - all the critics will finally be silenced when Harley runs out on the park in purple some time in the first 10 rounds. His mere presence in our forward line will result in immediate contagious x-factor, releasing not only his own magic inside 50 but sparking all of our small forwards in to a frenzy. Kersten will also be a major beneficiary from the Bennell-factor up forward.

Johnson - written off and even expected to have retired last year by some, Johnson will quickly remind us why skills like his are so important for the effective transition from defence to attack. The big winners from a fit Johnno will be our many young half back options that will get an opportunity to learn from the master on field.

Neale - missed out on AA only because of questions about his game impact. With more support he can get back to his primary role of winning first possession and extracting the ball to others for the clearance. With the opposition unable to tag all of our inside talent, Neale will have extra space to work in, resulting in better disposal and him regularly pushing forward in to space to kick the biggest goal tally of his career to date.

Mundy - with both Sandi and Fyfe back in the mix, Blakely becoming a more rounded midfielder, and Neale stepping up his game impact Mundy will re-find some of his 2015 AA form, primarily as our classy distributor in the middle. With Johnson fit Mundy will need to spend less time off half back but will still rotate through there to provide some class kicking.

Walters - not needing to play as a mid this year should mean a more dangerous forward line. A lot will depend on the support from our other small forwards. If Bennell comes in fit, and Ballas manages to refocus then there is no reason Walters couldn't be pushing for AA and be our best goal scorer once again (hopefully with much more competition for that honour this season).

SHill - will spend his time between the wing and in the middle. With the addition of his brother, Bennell, an improved Langdon, and others in the middle when he is there I can see him finding space more often and working with those other runners to open up games coming in to our forward 50. Hopefully all four will be given a licence to take a ping from long range if there aren't suitable marking targets inside 50.

BHill - our ability to spread to provide an outlet was a massive weakness last year and is probably the most important thing that Brad brings to our team. He may not be a ball winner but his elite endurance, speed and skills is exactly what we need more of on the outside. If our forwards are getting silver service from our mids like Brad then they'll instantly look better than the mess that was the 2016 forward line.

McCarthy - he shouldn't be classified in the same category as the others yet but I think all the planets will align for Cam in 2017 and he'll quickly rise up as one of our most important players. Nobody should benefit more from the anticipated better inside 50 service than McCarthy. If he can find space and we can kick to his advantage (Danyle!) then he should easily be in our top 2 goal scorers. The only concern I have for him is if our other tall forwards aren't coordinating their movement inside 50. If we play 3 talls in our forward line, all three need to be viable targets for our mids to hit up. If not, Cam could find himself in the same shoes as Pav did last year and be double or triple teamed out of the game.

More to come...

Don't think so , this will only happen if Tab, apeness mark everything and convert. Semi optimistic for me.

I would not be surprised if we have another start like 2015.
I can see us going 9-0.

Would require our best 22 to stay fit and healthy for those 9 rounds and even then, the forward line would need to excel beyond expectation.

Re the forward line, we know Sonny will go well and McCarthy also should, but we need Balla to perform like he did in his AA season and Tabs, Ape and Kerstin to play out of their skins. And Bennell to get out on the oval!

Then we're a chance.

Would require our best 22 to stay fit and healthy for those 9 rounds and even then, the forward line would need to excel beyond expectation.

Re the forward line, we know Sonny will go well and McCarthy also should, but we need Balla to perform like he did in his AA season and Tabs, Ape and Kerstin to play out of their skins. And Bennell to get out on the oval!

Then we're a chance.

The forward line won't need to excel beyond my expectation because I expect it to be the best forward division we have ever had. We just need the quality midfield to keep up a quality supply and that should come from the returning stars and the others we have added to both the midfield and defence.
Right now with all players fit and available we have the best 22 this club has ever had.

The forward line won't need to excel beyond my expectation because I expect it to be the best forward division we have ever had. We just need the quality midfield to keep up a quality supply and that should come from the returning stars and the others we have added to both the midfield and defence.
Right now with all players fit and available we have the best 22 this club has ever had.
Really don't see that happening , I believe this year competition is very close , all team top 10 is capable of beating any team.

Tend to agree with your last line but the bolded bit will be the key.

Really don't see that happening , I believe this year competition is very close , all team top 10 is capable of beating any team.

Absolutely, and 11 - 16 will win quite a few as well. Very even comp. 10 good wins could see a top 8 finish!

Who's everyone's bottom 3?

Absolutely, and 11 - 16 will win quite a few as well. Very even comp. 10 good wins could see a top 8 finish!

Who's everyone's bottom 3?
To me only Brisbane, N Melbourne, is almost certainly .

The last spot ( tiger , port , gold coast ,Carlton ) but if freo is not careful will fall into that categories also , eg depend too much on mundy, fyfe ,johnson and Sandi when any injuries occur thus will cause a lot of trouble due to second tier young players lack of afl experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think so , this will only happen if Tab, apeness mark everything and convert. Semi optimistic for me.

I was the only person on this board that called the 2015 start. I missed by one as I predicted we would get to the first bye undefeated.
There are a lot of similarities this year, not the least of which is the draw.
Fyfe is looking better and stronger this year plus we have just completed the most successful trade and draft period in our club's history and we have added Bennell who I am confident will play for us in the early rounds.
The developing youngsters we had in 2015 have now reached the stage where they're ready to turn it on.
I am referring to Weller, Blakeley , Langdon in this group.

I have witnessed every pre-season this club has done but I have not seen a better one than the present one.
Like I said we need a good run with injuries and if we do I will not be shocked with a 9 - 0 start.
Suffice to say I predict a top four finish.

We've got the strongest list and potentially best starting 22 since inception agreed.
Almost every other club has progressed too,which is where it gets hard to calculate.
No doubt we're finals bound with a bit of luck on the park and injury front.

Absolutely spot on. We were in the majority of our games last year with half a squad. Good things are coming.

I've absolutely no idea where we will finish, but I'm certain wherever it is it will be due to umpire bias, travel, injuries, the tribunal, AFL house conspiracies, the West or Hagdorn. In no particular order.

The first 6 weeks are all important. If we gel quickly and win games, then top four is a good possibility.
If we lose the home games against tough opponents, or the away games against easier opponents, then it will be another long season.

Great or terrible. I can't see a middle ground. (Given my track record, that's probably where we end up).

For me, best case = 6th, worst case = 11th. I know it's a wide spread but so much can either go right, or wrong depending on so many unforeseen variables.
I think yours is a lot more realistic , injuries, suspension and umpire decision all can affect variables, especially in a young squad, much will br dependable on management of game on older but classy players eg Sandi and MJ. Freo will lost the easy one as those who step in can't gel with the squad quickly enough.

Last edited:
I was the only person on this board that called the 2015 start. I missed by one as I predicted we would get to the first bye undefeated.
There are a lot of similarities this year, not the least of which is the draw.
Fyfe is looking better and stronger this year plus we have just completed the most successful trade and draft period in our club's history and we have added Bennell who I am confident will play for us in the early rounds.
The developing youngsters we had in 2015 have now reached the stage where they're ready to turn it on.
I am referring to Weller, Blakeley , Langdon in this group.

I have witnessed every pre-season this club has done but I have not seen a better one than the present one.
Like I said we need a good run with injuries and if we do I will not be shocked with a 9 - 0 start.
Suffice to say I predict a top four finish.
good on you Fred. I've got a case of the optimisms as well. I'd probably add to your excellent rationale that I think Lyon is a very motivated individual, and while he is an outstanding leader, he definitely has something still on his To Do List. It is clear that the club has identified weaknesses and put in strategies to address them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back