List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

Wondering what you mob think of Hagdorn's 22

Fremantle's possible Round 1 "starting" line-up.

Backs: Garrick Ibbotson, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr.

Half-Backs: Cam Sutcliffe, Michael Johnson, Tom Sheridan.

Centres: Stephen Hill, Nat Fyfe, Brad Hill.

Half-Forwards: Lachie Weller, Shane Kersten, Ed Langdon.

Forwards: Michael Walters, Cam McCarthy, Hayden Ballantyne.

Followers: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Lachie Neale.

Interchange from Jon Griffin, Griffin Logue, Matt Taberner, Connor Blakely, Danyle Pearce, Nick Suban and Darcy Tucker.
AFL Teams

Looks pretty strong in the middle and dynamic up forward, but I wonder how well that team would rebound off half back (which for mine was our biggest problem last year). I'm hoping Mundy spends some time in the floating defender/ distributor role this year, but I reckon we really need one or two blokes to step up this year into that role.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/frema...-likely-round-one-lineup-20170216-guefgr.html

Backs: Garrick Ibbotson, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr.

Half-Backs: Cam Sutcliffe, (Weller) Michael Johnson, Tom Sheridan (Tucker).

Centres: Stephen Hill, Nat Fyfe, Brad Hill.

Half-Forwards: Lachie Weller (Kertsen), Shane Kersten (McCarthy), Ed Langdon.

Forwards: Michael Walters, Cam McCarthy (Apeness), Hayden Ballantyne.

Followers: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Lachie Neale.

Interchange Connor Blakely, Danyle Pearce, Sheridan and Taberner.
AFL Teams

I know bennell and a.Pearce are very good players , but to assume there are best 22 without much pre season is way off. I believe Ross and his assistant had done some planning for both to play for peel before getting select, this including avoiding injuries playing these matches . by saying that I do like the above dream line up.

Last edited:

From what I have seen Tucker seems to be playing exclusive with the midfield group. Haven't seen or heard him mentioned playing off the half back this off season.

Interesting with how tall Geelong went last night. Hawkins, Taylor, Black + the rotating ruck/fwd + Blicavs. Do we need 3 KPD's to counter or do we risk going smaller.

Not a fan of Crozier?
It is tricky if everyone is fit and available. Crozier is in a bunch of possibles, but he has lacked consistency. I also find it difficult to split guys like Sheriden, Tucker and Langdon in terms of who should be "in". I think their potential impact is similar; same same but different . On a practical level, Ibbotson and Spurr are probably locked in as smalls, MJ and Hamling as talls. Doesn't leave a heap of vacancies, and I think one of those vacancies needs to be a tall.

Having said all of that I am a fan of the Crozier/Weller combo and if at years end they are locked into our backline I have a feeling we will be in good shape.

It is tricky if everyone is fit and available. Crozier is in a bunch of possibles, but he has lacked consistency. I also find it difficult to split guys like Sheriden, Tucker and Langdon in terms of who should be "in". I think their potential impact is similar; same same but different . On a practical level, Ibbotson and Spurr are probably locked in as smalls, MJ and Hamling as talls. Doesn't leave a heap of vacancies, and I think one of those vacancies needs to be a tall.

Having said all of that I am a fan of the Crozier/Weller combo and if at years end they are locked into our backline I have a feeling we will be in good shape.

I think Ibbo may be unlucky for Rd1.
My backline is ;

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Weller Hamling Crozier.

If Crozier isn't fit I would think Ibbo steps in.

I think Ibbo may be unlucky for Rd1.
My backline is ;

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Weller Hamling Crozier.

If Crozier isn't fit I would think Ibbo steps in.
That is my rd 1 backline too. I am surprised that, from what I read, Croz didn't play back in the scratchie on Wed. Croz has got to make it there or not at all, I think. He has some of the strengths for providing the exit from defence, we need to find out if he can do some of the other bits well enough eg defend, operate under pressure, get into position to receive from teammates.

Tucker size already gone past croz just one year joining freo . I don't doubt croz talent but whether he is dedicated enough to realise his talent is another question ? last year he mention he want to add muscle like fyfe but after one year he is still the same size . sutty and sheriden also add certain amount of size or muscle. Luke Ryan as a mature age recruit will take his position if he perform well for peel .

That is my rd 1 backline too. I am surprised that, from what I read, Croz didn't play back in the scratchie on Wed. Croz has got to make it there or not at all, I think. He has some of the strengths for providing the exit from defence, we need to find out if he can do some of the other bits well enough eg defend, operate under pressure, get into position to receive from teammates.

Crozier not playing in defence in the scratchie I reckon was more to do with Ross wanting to see Logue in the backline.
Ross has seen what Crozier can do so the opportunity to see Logue and Cox there couldn't be passed up.
Brennan Cox spent some time there as well.

I still prefer Ibbo over Croz. I want our backline to be similar to 2013:

Spurr - Dawson - Sutcliffe
Duffield - McPharlin - MJ - Igbo

Round 1, 2017:

Spurr - Collins - Sutcliffe
Weller - Hamling - MJ - Ibbo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tucker size already gone past croz just one year joining freo . I don't doubt croz talent but whether he is dedicated enough to realise his talent is another question ? last year he mention he want to add muscle like fyfe but after one year he is still the same size . sutty and sheriden also add certain amount of size or muscle. Luke Ryan as a mature age recruit will take his position if he perform well for peel .

Your observations about Crozier are very interesting and I must admit I have been wondering the same things. Sometimes I think Crozier is a little to happy with just being a footballer and with the social life that goes with it rather than being the driven individual like a Neale or potentially Tucker. If we are right, despite his talents and kicking skills he is still more likely to be an occasional rather than full time member of the team.

Some people are stronger than they look, wiry frame, Crozier appears to have a strong core, tackles hard, good in the air. We need different shapes and sizes.
Sherro, Sutcliffe I have always thought were not suited to the roles played previously, lacked physicality, game not suited for half back.
Crozier's problem has always appeared to be above the shoulders, drifts in and out of games, but he looked good last year.

Some people are stronger than they look, wiry frame, Crozier appears to have a strong core, tackles hard, good in the air. We need different shapes and sizes.
Sherro, Sutcliffe I have always thought were not suited to the roles played previously, lacked physicality, game not suited for half back.
Crozier's problem has always appeared to be above the shoulders, drifts in and out of games, but he looked good last year.
I am fan of crozier, but we can't always find excuse to defend him . if he said to media he want the build of fyfe then work on it, even if it mean skipping his yearly America trip.

I am fan of crozier, but we can't always find excuse to defend him . if he said to media he want the build of fyfe then work on it, even if it mean skipping his yearly America trip.
How much would the club control the physical development of players? If they really wanted another beast like Fyfe, wouldn't they have had Crozier on a program to achieve that? I know it isn't that simple, but to me Crozier's assets include speed, agility, high marking, decision making and disposal. Things that don't need a Fyfe style build. His physical role model should be S Hill.

His physical role model should be S Hill.
Spot on , Hilly not fyfe should be his role model. But hilly arm size increase due to him spending a bit more time as inside mid.

I think footy is still a novelty to Croz. He's been in cruise control since he got here, or Croz control, perhaps. More an off field footballer than an onfield one. Unless he pulls his finger out, which I can't see happening, I think he'll be traded or delisted as soon as season's end.

Hilly's beefed a heap since being recruited, for whatever reason Crozier not so much.
He has, but it has built gradually compared to Fyfe whose development was reminiscent of the WC early days. I have faith in the substance testing protocols that are in place now, so I am not implying anything about Fyfe, but it has been spectacular and a testament to his determination.

I think footy is still a novelty to Croz. He's been in cruise control since he got here, or Croz control, perhaps. More an off field footballer than an onfield one. Unless he pulls his finger out, which I can't see happening, I think he'll be traded or delisted as soon as season's end.
Agree, Some player like Walters response been dropped . but for croz he is pretty happy to stay chill. Will be a waste if he is gone after this year, can mark , decent kick/speed , can tackle .

That is the thing. He is in a position where he can easily be replaced if others push up. But to date he has not really grasped his opportunities and held onto them. Playing back his role is clearer, and he has demonstrated that he can perform there. He doesn't have to be a match winner, but he can also be more than a role player there.

He can make himself a first choice selection by position kind of player, rather than a bench rotation. In reality he is pushing Sutcliffe out, and he should be able to do that with his better skill set.

If that were true there'd be no way in the world that Ross would allow it to have gone on for so long and he would've been traded or demoted by now. One thing that Ross has shown in his career he hates slackers and isn't scared to make the hard call to move a slacker on despite talent. As he's said, he's not seduced by talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back