Prediction 2017 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, best case = 6th, worst case = 11th. I know it's a wide spread but so much can either go right, or wrong depending on so many unforeseen variables.
In terms of win/loss, there won't be a lot separating those positions this year.

Plus, if clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong, WC and Adelaide are top 4 contenders, we are a show as well.

Between 6th and 12th for me. Transition the youth ie logue, cox, darcy, ryan and tucker into afl in the second half of the season. Finish with around 10 wins. Another great trade and draft. Setup for a 2019-2021 3peat.

Hard to tell, the form is all on paper at the moment. I believe we have a pretty good squad that has been rejuvenated and should be led well by Fyfe but there are too many unknowns at this point and there are plenty of other teams with good squads on the march.

GWS, Sydney, Dogs, Eagles, Hawks, Crows all have a claim to being better than us while I believe Collingwood, Melbourne and Saint Kilda have lists as good as ours and would be expecting to start laying claim to finals berths. Port could do anything and I don't expect Carlton to be easy beats much longer.

For whatever reason I don't think the planets are aligning for us just yet, the continued absence of Bennell and the injury to Alex Pearce, who I rate as important as McCarthy (and Bennell) to our youth led revival have taken the gloss off what has otherwise been a productive and positive off season. I'm not sure we will see much of A Pearce before the middle of the year and with Bennell we simply don't know.

I'll be pleased with being competitive and around the middle of the pack. GWS are about to enter their prime for the next couple of years anyway and will be close to unbeatable till salary cap & list management normality brings them back to the pack.
I'll be looking to around 2019 for our maiden GF win :)

Anything less than a flag this year is a fail, and will see both Fyfe and Lyon at Carlton next year.

Fyfe,Sandi,Johnson,Hill,Mcarthy,Hamling,Kirsten,Bennell,Logue and later on Pearce are important inclusions on last seasons playing list. All are experienced and incl a Brownlow ,2 all Australians and possibly in Bennell one of the best in the comp.. Throw in Connor,Tucker,Weller.Langdon,Tabs ,Apeness ,Collins, Sheridan, Crosier with another pre season under their belt and the experience of S Hill,Mundy,Spurr etc I can't see Freo not making the finals.The argument will be they all need to stay on the park but that applies to all sides . Finals for sure for Freo.

Fyfe,Sandi,Johnson,Hill,Mcarthy,Hamling,Kirsten,Bennell,Logue and later on Pearce are important inclusions on last seasons playing list. All are experienced and incl a Brownlow ,2 all Australians and possibly in Bennell one of the best in the comp.. Throw in Connor,Tucker,Weller.Langdon,Tabs ,Apeness ,Collins, Sheridan, Crosier with another pre season under their belt and the experience of S Hill,Mundy,Spurr etc I can't see Freo not making the finals.The argument will be they all need to stay on the park but that applies to all sides . Finals for sure for Freo.
All sides except GWS , Taranto already impressed in their win . their rookies gu look handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got the strongest list and potentially best starting 22 since inception agreed.
Almost every other club has progressed too,which is where it gets hard to calculate.
No doubt we're finals bound with a bit of luck on the park and injury front.
i think all this but reckon it will take a year to click as the young guys build experience and size, and the new guys get to know how their team mates play and learn the structures.

12 for me this year. back into the 8 in 2018 provided our injury curse has lifted and bennell gets on the park.

Im hoping for a big change in on field performance more than results, With the ruck rules changing, our inside mids being fit and the extra leg speed we have on the outside, i would be hoping for some blistering quick transition attacking and some more efficiency.

My expectations is Making the 8 this year, a few of our younger players hitting next level development whilst our recruits and veterans develop a chemistry that can be effective.

i think all this but reckon it will take a year to click as the young guys build experience and size, and the new guys get to know how their team mates play and learn the structures.

12 for me this year. back into the 8 in 2018 provided our injury curse has lifted and bennell gets on the park.
That is barely incremental improvement. Winning a couple more games per year, nothing more. I think Fyfe alone is more or less worth us moving up to 12th.

I will predict 6-10th next year. Missing the 8 is fine by me if we do not actually have a show of getting anywhere and decide to focus on developing youth. Otherwise I want us pushing hard for finals, then give everything in the finals. Nice learning curve.

I think Hamling is super important to our success, and could be similar to McPharlin in terms of controlling the oppositions leading forward. Our defense could be
really solid this year, and if we can find a couple of decent half backs, I don't see teams scoring easily against us.
Our midfield should win enough contests, but would love to see another Crowley type running around in purple, just to absolutely strangle teams, break their spirit.
The forward line may take time to gel, but looks the best we have ever had, especially if Bennell is running around.
7-8 on the ladder is a pass for me.

I am actually quite keen for this season to start!!....I think we have some something exciting happening down at Cockburn :)
I predict 5th place.
Fyfe for his second Brownlow.
(Dawson to play 18 of the best games of his long and industrious career ;))
Dr Fist is right up there ;)

The good - more wins than last year with 8, Bennell stringing the last 8 games together, Hamling showing he can hold down FB. Blakely becoming a first choice on. Weller and Fyfe kicking 30 goals in stints forward.

The bad - the forward line still struggles with Taberner & Ape not coming on & Kersten struggling. McCarthy shows some positive signs with one 6 goal bag but struggles for consistency.

The ugly - Ballantyne leaves the club and causes a bit of a stir on the way out after being sent to Peel mid-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back