Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulnare-Redhill also just spent the best part of $50,000 ++ upgrading the clubrooms at Redhill Oval including a new hall. I suggested a heritage display around the walls - eg take the photos out of the change rooms and put them in the hall, find some old guernseys and hang them up as well.

I know when the HFL started the Division three comp about 5-6 years ago there was rumours that some people were trying to revive Lenswood/Eastern Rangers as a Div 3 only club playing out of Ashton or Lenswood. But it got up unfortunately (Lenswood oval looks beautiful and it would be great to have some senior footy there again)

I thought they still had a team?

Deakin University Sharks (Warrnabool & District FL) folded this year because of the lack of student numbers at Deakin's campus at Warrnabool, which means that you won't be seeing the "SHARK SHUFFLE" performed this season.

Wakool in Golden Rivers will not be playing in 2016 due to lack of player numbers. If it were a single team comp they might have survived.
Wakool's managed to come back in 2017, but they've had to revise the points system for them, because they're so reliant on players coming from outside of Wakool.

Reservoir has been confirmed as a starter in a 9 team Northern FL Division Three with junior club, Laurimar Power (Doreen) fielding a Seniors, Reserves and possibly and Under 19's side in the NFL

Good to see Reservoir coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ardmona (Kyabram DFL) will not field a senior team for the rest of this season, after getting beaten by over 40+ goals in their first two games by Undera and Rushworth (two clubs who aren't particularly strong this season), they will drop down to the reserves of the KDFL (They haven't fielded a reserves side at all this season) for the rest of the season, they still have an Under 18's & healthy numbers at Netball.

Finley (Murray FL) have had a mass exodus of players and won't be fielding a reserves team this season either (they weren't allowed to have their seniors drop down to the reserves this season), they will be fielding a very weak senior side (with two's players and kids) and will have an Under 17's & 14's and a full allotment of netball teams.

Did crawf play for finley?
Yes, Shane Crawford was recruited from Finley as well as Tom Hawkins and his dad Jack, basically they spent too much money to get a flag, failed twice (they were beaten in the grand final in 2013 & 14), their players left en masse (a few left for money, but they had a few players who are going overseas to travel, and a few locals that decided not to come down from Melbourne and Geelong, and instead are playing in surburban leagues) and that's where they are, they'll come back because thier juniors are strong, but it'll be a while.

Ardmona on the other hand, have been terrible for a few years now, and they'll be competitive in the reserves now that they've dropped back, but it'll be interesting to see what'll happen if they don't get a senior side next year.

Unfortunately it's unviable to keep a football club sustainable or as a single identity especially when low on players or small facilities, or when other clubs with more success and players are far more attractive. Also keep in mind a lot of Netball Clubs are combined or aligned with their respective football clubs and this can also be a factor.

How many Football Clubs can you think of around Australia, that have disappeared from the scene as a single entity, Senior football club by way of either a) a merger or b) folding, in the lat 25 years?

From Tasmania the list would be:

Southern Districts Cats (TFL)
Sandy Bay (TFL)
Cooee (NWFU)
Burnie Tigers (NTFL)
East Launceston (NTFA)
City South (NTFA)
Franklin (HFA)
Lachlan (STFL)
Risdon Vale (TFA)
Cambridge (TFA)
Port Arthur (PFL)
Eaglehawk Neck (PFL)
Nubeena (PFL)
Premaydena (PFL)
Colebrook (TFA)
Upper Derwent (ODFA)
Railway (TFA)
Bridgewater (Sthn Amatuers)
Campania (Sthn Amatuers)
Woodsdale (ODFA)
Parattah (ODFA)
Kempton (ODFA)
Strahan (WTFA)
Lyell-Gormanston (WTFA)
Smelters (WTFA)
Zeehan (WTFA)
Maydena (UDFL)
New Town (OSFA)
Beauty Point (NDTAFL)
Exeter (NDTAFL)
Northern Districts (NDTAFL)
Beaconsfield (NDTAFL)

These are some of the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
Here's a few more from Tassie. Will list some more later.
North Derwent (TFA)
Channel (SFL and later Old Scholars FA)
Friends' (OSFA)
Kermandie (SFL)
Latrobe Saints
Trowutta-City
Castra
Branxholm (NEFU)
Ringarooma (NEFU)
Ross (ODFA)
North Hobart (TSL)
Railton

Yes, Shane Crawford was recruited from Finley as well as Tom Hawkins and his dad Jack, basically they spent too much money to get a flag, failed twice (they were beaten in the grand final in 2013 & 14), their players left en masse (a few left for money, but they had a few players who are going overseas to travel, and a few locals that decided not to come down from Melbourne and Geelong, and instead are playing in surburban leagues) and that's where they are, they'll come back because thier juniors are strong, but it'll be a while.

Ardmona on the other hand, have been terrible for a few years now, and they'll be competitive in the reserves now that they've dropped back, but it'll be interesting to see what'll happen if they don't get a senior side next year.

Ardmona so far have fared little better in the reserves, they still haven't won a game and their average losing margin since moving down to the reserves is around 20 goals, their Under 18's side is struggling as well (but they're not the only ones in that regard as far as the Kyabram DFL goes), although their netball sides have been doing much better, it'll be interesting to see what happens there I hope they don't fold, but I can't see them getting the 20-30 extra players required.

Finley on the other hand, have fielded a side a few times in the reserves in the Murray League, and nearly had thier first win against Rumbalara, if it wasn't for horrible kicking, they'll bounce back but they won't be the side they were two years ago.

More to the Tasmania list:
Fingal (FVDFA)
St Marys (FVDFA)
These two, and the remnants of Avoca which falls a little outside the 25 years, now form Fingal Valley in the NTFA.
At one point only 2 of the 6 teams that existed in the Fingal Valley District Football Association in the mid-80s were still around, St Helens and Swansea. I believe Campbell Town has since reformed and plays in the Oatlands league.
Since I wrote that the merged "Fingal Valley" no longer exist, and St Helens have changed name to East Coast Swans.
Swansea and (a revived) Campbell Town survive from the old FVDFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back