Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Very German name (lit : sky mountain) but I think I've heard his old man spoke with an American accent in one of the afc videos.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-06-15/dons-draftee-update

Coach Don Pyke provides an update on the Club’s 2016 draft crop:

Pick No.55 – Elliott Himmelberg, key forward
SANFL games: 9

“It’s always interesting with the big guys because they generally take a little while to develop.

“Elliott came off not playing a lot of footy through injury last year, so the real pleasing part is that we’ve been able to get him trained up and he’s got continuity in playing now.

“We’re seeing the reason why we drafted him.

“There have been some really positive signs for him, but he’s a work in progress and he’ll take a little while longer to come along. Some of the things he’s doing at SANFL level, we’re really happy with.”

Been pretty good so far in an inconsistent side. Keen to see him get some JLT game time next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky Mountain made his debut in the 100 point walkover vs Carlton this week.

I thought he was very promising!

13 possessions, of which 8 were score involvements. 1 beautifully composed goal, 1 behind which should also have been a goal.

What I liked most was his intuitive use of the ball to a teammates advantage.

- couple of quick pickup and handballs
- couple of lead, mark, then quickly pivot and kick to a teammate in space

This is something Tex and Lynch have had from day one. Whereas in that situation Jenkins has always looked like he is in treacle, and MGov too to a certain extent.

Ie I am not sure it can be easily taught, and he has got it.

His defensive pressure was reasonable considering his height.

He didn’t show too many signs of being a contested marking beast, which is okay. I reckon he will be an intelligent lead up player. He could turn out to be a nice complimentary player with Fogarty.

Really looking forward to his development and hope he makes it to being an AFL regular in the next couple of years.

Sky Mountain made his debut in the 100 point walkover vs Carlton this week.

I thought he was very promising!

13 possessions, of which 8 were score involvements. 1 beautifully composed goal, 1 behind which should also have been a goal.

What I liked most was his intuitive use of the ball to a teammates advantage.

- couple of quick pickup and handballs
- couple of lead, mark, then quickly pivot and kick to a teammate in space

This is something Tex and Lynch have had from day one. Whereas in that situation Jenkins has always looked like he is in treacle, and MGov too to a certain extent.

Ie I am not sure it can be easily taught, and he has got it.

His defensive pressure was reasonable considering his height.

He didn’t show too many signs of being a contested marking beast, which is okay. I reckon he will be an intelligent lead up player. He could turn out to be a nice complimentary player with Fogarty.

Really looking forward to his development and hope he makes it to being an AFL regular in the next couple of years.
It is pleasing to see he learnt to get his own ball.

As you say Tex and Lynch also have this ability whereas Gov and Jenkins dont.

Tex and Lynch spent a bit of time in SANFL and VFL footy. Gov and Jenkins didnt. I wonder if that has much to do with this ball winning ability.

Berg has also done a fair SANFL apprenticeship and seems.to have learnt.thus as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Contested marking will get to a solid level, as after all at that size, all you really need is a bit of bravery and good hands. Himmelberg has both.

I have to say, his goal made me very excited about him as a forward. He's certainly got something.

For some bizarre reason we've given him a two year contract extension

Frustrating as hell player.

Can take contested grabs and kick goals from outside 50 off one step, but can also stuff up the most simple plays.

McAsey is now firmly in the gun to be traded or to have his contract paid out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back