Shahid Afridi - Will he ever grow up?

May 5, 2016

If nothing else he always made watching cricket fun.

One of my favourite passages of play of all time was only very brief (like most bit of play with Afridi) but it was at the height of my Watson hatred, durain't the neutral Pakistan Australia test series in England. Afridi only made about 39 or something and I'm pretty sure Watson eventually got him out (and celebrated like he'd bowled Bradman behind his legs I might add), but beforehand Afridi put him in the stands about 3 times and hit him for 4 a couple more, in the space of a few overs.

It was the most unadulterated slogging I've ever seen from a top 6 batsman. And I loved it.

Sammo360

Aug 15, 2009

One of my favourite passages of play of all time was only very brief (like most bit of play with Afridi) but it was at the height of my Watson hatred, durain't the neutral Pakistan Australia test series in England. Afridi only made about 39 or something and I'm pretty sure Watson eventually got him out (and celebrated like he'd bowled Bradman behind his legs I might add), but beforehand Afridi put him in the stands about 3 times and hit him for 4 a couple more, in the space of a few overs.

It was the most unadulterated slogging I've ever seen from a top 6 batsman. And I loved it.

It was classic Afridi at his best :)

Returning after a 4 year absence, made captain, comes in at 5/88 , smashes Watson all over the ground, gets out, retires again.lol

roscreasl98

Nov 12, 2016
Over The Hill
All Local Footy

Most overrated player of all time.........

May 5, 2016
I liked Afridi but his batting was fairly overrated, although his bowling imo probably underrated.

On Shane Watson would take him over Afridi as a player.

I probably would too - he was somewhat steadier. But Afridi's record in Tests, despite his ridonkulous approach to batting, proves he had a fair bit of natural ability. His bowling was more than serviceable, especially as someone who was never used in tests as a front liner.

And any ODI team in the world would take a spinner that takes a wicket per game, with an economy rate of 4.5 - who happens to occasionally play innings' that single handedly swing matches.

Jan 26, 2006
East Fremantle
I probably would too - he was somewhat steadier. But Afridi's record in Tests, despite his ridonkulous approach to batting, proves he had a fair bit of natural ability. His bowling was more than serviceable, especially as someone who was never used in tests as a front liner.

And any ODI team in the world would take a spinner that takes a wicket per game, with an economy rate of 4.5 - who happens to occasionally play innings' that single handedly swing matches.

The real problem with Afridi, and why opinion of him declined, is that he really stayed on for a good 4-5 years too long.

Jan 26, 2006
East Fremantle
If his age is actually fair dinkum, he hasn't played a test since he was 29 and he was 33 last time he played an ODI so that's perhaps a tad harsh, I understand where you're coming from though.

No way his age is fair dinkum.

Tests he retired early but nobody really remembers him as a test player anyway.

May 2, 2007
WA
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Sep 23, 2007
Geeze, I know time has gone by if I've seen Boom Boom finally retire. He was a cult hero growing up, until it seemed like everytime I'd take a piss or clicked back from another tab, he'd be out. The most frustrating thing about him is he was such a naturally gifted batsman, I remember a lot of innings in the middle order where he played within himself and was fully in control against the bowlers, until he realised there was still some work to be done with the tail and suddenly go for some crazy swipe across the line or hit it straight up in the air. He didn't seem to want to take responsibility for his team and do the hard yards, it smacked of childishness (no pun intended), which was a real shame. Still, a very handy legspinner and an entertaining campaigner, shame we didn't see more of him in the BBL too.

May 5, 2016
Geeze, I know time has gone by if I've seen Boom Boom finally retire. He was a cult hero growing up, until it seemed like everytime I'd take a piss or clicked back from another tab, he'd be out. The most frustrating thing about him is he was such a naturally gifted batsman, I remember a lot of innings in the middle order where he played within himself and was fully in control against the bowlers, until he realised there was still some work to be done with the tail and suddenly go for some crazy swipe across the line or hit it straight up in the air. He didn't seem to want to take responsibility for his team and do the hard yards, it smacked of childishness (no pun intended), which was a real shame. Still, a very handy legspinner and an entertaining campaigner, shame we didn't see more of him in the BBL too.

I think what made him easier to like though was that he knew it - that he just couldn't manage the obvious natural talent he had.

From memory he said as much when he retired from tests after the brief 2010 comeback. He basically said 'I can't help myself, I can't hold back and play properly' which is a shame but at least he could acknowledge it rather than just try and say 'that's the way I play, take it or leave it'.

May 5, 2016
When he was first in the Pakistan team Wasim Akram said something like, look most of us have tried to tell him many times to use some sense when batting but he simply refuses to listen.

I don't doubt that he was very much like that early on. For a teenager (even if he wasn't 15, he still had to be quite young) to come into international cricket and smack a 37 ball hundred almost immediately, I reckon any little bit of arrogance would have suddenly multiplied tenfold.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
WA, Australia
Batting overrated, bowling underrated is a great descriptor for his career.

Have always wondered how good he could have been if Pakistan had treated him like a Shaun Pollock-Klusener hybrid. Play him chiefly as a bowler at 7-8-9 but send him up the order if/when required for some demolition work.

Hellgood

10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
Batting overrated, bowling underrated is a great descriptor for his career.

Have always wondered how good he could have been if Pakistan had treated him like a Shaun Pollock-Klusener hybrid. Play him chiefly as a bowler at 7-8-9 but send him up the order if/when required for some demolition work.

He even opened at test level for a brief period.

May 8, 2007
vic
5 test centuries - 2 as an opener. In fact, he averaged 37 as an opener. With no Not-Outs (there's a surprise):D. In fact, of all P{akistani openers who have opened at least 20 times - he has the 10th-higherst average. Better than Mudassar Nazar, Aamer Sohail, - better than plenty. If you ignore not-outs, he has a better runs-per-innings than Mohammed Hafeez - Pakistan's main opener in the last 10 years.

With a bit of brains, he could have been a Warner or Sehwag.

Obviously, he rubbed a lot of people in the Pakistan set-up the wrong way. He was known as a bit of a celebrity playboy over there.

But.... he'll be back. He's only had 2 or 3 retirements so far. Pakistan cricketers are like boxers. PLay cricket, controversy, retire, come back (usually as captain), retire, come back (2nd comeback is usually successful, playing as the 'Old, Wise Head), get sacked for being too old - and then another optional come-back when the selectors 'put out a plea'.

The T20 world cup is next year. He'll be there.