List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

He's pretty much the only one who loses his lunch on a regular basis, which says to me he's not keeping up with his program.

I agree that he was greatly improved last year, but to me he's not off the hook unless he continues with it this year.
I definitely hope he continue , better to have more quality players fighting for spot than nobody.

I have Croz in my B22 (@ HBF) for four reasons: (1) he was pretty good at half back last season without actually having trained for the role during a pre-season yet; (2) he is capable of pinch hitting up forward or the midfield; (3) even with Mundy being able to drop back I'd go in with 7 defenders as both Weller and Crozier are flexible; and (4) I don't think our other half back options are banging down doors yet either.

I really hope he makes it and think he deserves first crack but if he doesn't come out firing then I'd have no problem with one of the other half back options getting a shot at it instead.

I'm not convinced by Crozier yet. Tucker is already a better player for mine.
We have a lot of players like Tucker on the list, built like a brick sh*thouse, and at his age will only get better. But Crozier
has an unique skillset, that I think we require.
I don't think Ross knew what position to play him, so he has been in and out of the team till last year.
I hope he and Tucker work together than competing, with Weller having the tools to replace D Pearce.

We have a lot of players like Tucker on the list, built like a brick sh*thouse, and at his age will only get better. But Crozier
has an unique skillset, that I think we require.
I don't think Ross knew what position to play him, so he has been in and out of the team till last year.
I hope he and Tucker work together than competing, with Weller having the tools to replace D Pearce.
Its easy to get seduced by talent (I was with Crozier) but footy smarts are necessary too. Crozier does impressive stuff at times, I'm just not sure how much nous he's got for actually figuring out where the ball is going to be and getting hold of it, hence why he looks better in defence being led to it.
What I saw of Tucker at training this year he's just everywhere the ball is and has a knack for gaining possession and using it well. I think he has the potential to be among our better players.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Crozier reach his undoubted potential, just not sure he has the necessary footy brain to do it. Hoping to be convinced otherwise.

Its easy to get seduced by talent (I was with Crozier) but footy smarts are necessary too. Crozier does impressive stuff at times, I'm just not sure how much nous he's got for actually figuring out where the ball is going to be and getting hold of it, hence why he looks better in defence being led to it.
What I saw of Tucker at training this year he's just everywhere the ball is and has a knack for gaining possession and using it well. I think he has the potential to be among our better players.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Crozier reach his undoubted potential, just not sure he has the necessary footy brain to do it. Hoping to be convinced otherwise.

I'm with you E Shed. I am very optimistic about Tucker's abilities. My understanding is that he came to us as a running, attacking half back, something that we needed desperately. The club chose to play him as a wing / midfielder I think. This is confusing to me, but such is life.

Given that we are not playing Tucker at half back we still need an attacking half back flank with some good decision making and good kick. Croz looked very promising there last year before his injury. Croz has shown inconsistency and an inability to find the ball over the course of his career. I hope he can provide what the team needs - my fingers are crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Tucker will be excellent for our midfield group. Has the strength and nous to win it on the inside and the speed and skill to do it on the outside. He could be our next Mundy. While Blakely looks like Mundy I think he is more the bullocking type of inside mid. (JPK and Cripps-like hopefully). I think it would be wasteful to have Tucker on the HBF.

I agree that Crozier looked better with the ball coming to him, but I don't think that's an issue. At least we've finally found a spot where he can be effective. I'm quite bullish on Weller and Crozier as our HBF's this year. Both have penetrating skillful kicks and both are capable of moving the ball forward through a forward press. Weller we already know can run the ball out but after re-watching some of our games (painful) I was surprised how well Crozier did on some occasions with running the ball out. Quite a few of our end to end goals last year started off Crozier's boot.

If he goes back to being inconsistent we now at least have other players that could take his spot (Ryan, Sutty, Logue). Crozier finished off the season well IMO and I hope he continues to grow into that role.

Side note:

Tucker v Duggan (A more apt and fun comparison)
upload_2017-2-20_10-4-6.png

• |- Ibbitson Hamling Dawson
  • |- Spurr Johnson Mundy
  • |- Hill Fyfe Hill
  • |- Ballantyne McCarthy Weller
  • |- Kersten Apeness Walters
  • |- Foll: Sandilands Blakely Neale
    • |- Int: Crozier, Suttcliffe, D. Pearce, Logue
    • |- Emergency: Sheridan Yarran

I find this to be a more realistic Ross Lyon starting 22 -- Due to injury I changed out Bennell with Ballas and put Spurr back into this with A. Pearce out. People without Dawson in are channeling twilight zone.

This team doesn't have Suban, Sheridan, Tabener, Clarke who have been Ross staples (and shaky contributors). If he changes his ways even this much with a healthy list we're on the right track :)

• |- Spurr Johnson Mundy
  • |- Hill Fyfe Hill
I find this to be a more realistic Ross Lyon starting 22 -- Due to injury I changed out Bennell with Ballas and put Spurr back into this with A. Pearce out. People without Dawson in are channeling twilight zone.

This team doesn't have Suban, Sheridan, Tabener, Clarke who have been Ross staples (and shaky contributors). If he changes his ways even this much with a healthy list we're on the right track :)
Yarran is not on freo list anymore .:)

I find this to be a more realistic Ross Lyon starting 22

You think it's realistic that we'd suddenly switch a guy (Weller) into the forward line, who has spent all pre-season continuing to train as a half back? Okay...

On OnePlus 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

• |- Spurr Johnson Mundy
  • |- Hill Fyfe Hill

That back line is slower than a wet week

You think it's realistic that we'd suddenly switch a guy (Weller) into the forward line, who has spent all pre-season continuing to train as a half back? Okay...

On OnePlus 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are quite right it would be madness. But I am not sure that Weller will become a permanent fixture down back. He is being groomed for flexibility isn't he?

Crozier was nothing short of a revelation for us and ofcourse for him off of half back/the pocket. He'd be my first selected small defender. He has clearly been out of position (no fault of anyone, seemed a forward) his entire career and I for one hope to watch him continue to improve in the coming years.

Can't help but get the feeling you guys are taking potshots because he's a bit of a pretty boy.

Welcome to the world of all young men nowadays, especially the wealthy and (somewhat) famous.
Crozier could have an Akermanis revelation - superbly talented forward that couldn't put it together until his coach made him play back pocket for a year or two.

I have not read this thread, but what are people's thoughts on Ibbotson?

I think he's this years Mzungu.

I have not read this thread, but what are people's thoughts on Ibbotson?

I think he's this years Mzungu.
I don't mind Ibbotson. In the right mix he will be an asset. Has the capacity to play beyond his type. If he was the slowest decision maker in the back line we would be okay, but include him with Dawson and there is an escalation of dumbarseness. But get him in the right role and matchup, and surround him with the likes of MJ, Weller etc, and he will be terrific.

I agree, Ibbo will be fringe unless he can find the form he display vs WBD consistently.

My best 22 for what it's worth:

Johnson Hamling Spurr
Weller A.Pearce Crozier
Langdon Fyfe B.Hill
Bennell Taberner McCarthy
Walters Apeness Ballantyne

Sandilands Neale S.Hill

Mundy Tucker Blakely Logue

Emg: Sheridan Ibbotson Kersten

If we manage to get that team on the park it would make for an exciting year. I've shifted S.Hill from the wing to give a bit of diversity with leg speed in the middle. I see Bennell when fit providing the same at times.

Spurr vs Ibbo and Taberner vs Kersten would be selected on form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back