List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Ibbotson. In the right mix he will be an asset. Has the capacity to play beyond his type. If he was the slowest decision maker in the back line we would be okay, but include him with Dawson and there is an escalation of dumbarseness. But get him in the right role and matchup, and surround him with the likes of MJ, Weller etc, and he will be terrific.
I think, contrary to popular opinion, our weakest point last year was our run from half back. While our midfield struggled, and our forward line was forgettable, what we acutely missed was what Johnson, Duffield and to a lesser extent McPharlin provided. Even Mzungu was good on transition but he was obviously on the out.

I think Ibbotson suited the old back six rather well, slow to make a decision, but also patient and not brash in moving the ball, knowing his limitations. And a good intercept mark. In a backline that probably needs everything reconsidered, does he get a gig, or do faster ball movers get more of a role?

Anyway, I am most excited to see how the new back six look.

I think, contrary to popular opinion, our weakest point last year was our run from half back.
I think you may have skipped over a few opinions that express the same thought. Including the clubs opinion. After all, they did go out and recruit Hamling and drafted Logue, Cox, Ryan and Duman, plus they relocated two of the more talented of our young guys in Weller and Crozier to the half back line. Pretty clear the thinking was that it was our weakest area.

I think, contrary to popular opinion, our weakest point last year was our run from half back. While our midfield struggled, and our forward line was forgettable, what we acutely missed was what Johnson, Duffield and to a lesser extent McPharlin provided. Even Mzungu was good on transition but he was obviously on the out.

I think Ibbotson suited the old back six rather well, slow to make a decision, but also patient and not brash in moving the ball, knowing his limitations. And a good intercept mark. In a backline that probably needs everything reconsidered, does he get a gig, or do faster ball movers get more of a role?

Anyway, I am most excited to see how the new back six look.

images

Yeah was going to say, that's probably the most popular opinion around here.

That, and a forward line that couldn't lead or mark coming a close second.

In that case its probably best not to preface your comments with "contrary to popular opinion", if you don't in fact know what that is.
Fremantle Bigfooty board is maybe 30 regular users out of a population of 1000s of voices in all forms of media.

Yep. And with Dawson and Ibbo you are not actually talking about leg speed.

That backline is the reason Weller and Crozier were moved there.

You mean the guy I have on interchange what would rotate while on through midfield and down back most likely? Yeah my 22 has speed covered. It's almost like some here think the Hill's can't move from their positions on the wing to give backline run ;)

You think it's realistic that we'd suddenly switch a guy (Weller) into the forward line, who has spent all pre-season continuing to train as a half back? Okay...
But I am not sure that Weller will become a permanent fixture down back. He is being groomed for flexibility isn't he?

That's what I feel too, hes in my 22... just not technical where people perceive he'll be positioned aka whats the difference? It's reading to me more like Weller has NO defence game and needs to spend a pre-season working on that so he has multiple positions he can reliably play. Hawthorn style. You can't judge on last year when we'd given the season away to play the youth.

Don't think we can play both Weller and Crozier and down back. Both are undersized and would make us too vulnerable imo. All good thinking it'll help our rebound but at what cost? I think we'd get slaughtered against the better forward lines. I do like idea of Crozier and Weller swapping from half forward to half back, it'd probably wouldn't work but would be interesting to see, both have different weapons as a forward.

That said they have been both training down back I'm looking forward to seeing improvement. In the practice matches I want to see how they go one on one and if they can hold their own. Can either of them read the play well enough to intercept mark/spoil/3rd man up like maybe Sheppard for WCE. Right now they're both just uncontested receivers and you can't play two of them. I would prefer logue with one of them as it currently stands.

Spurr Dawson/AP Hamling
Weller/Crozier MJ Logue (Mundy rolling back)

I think Crozier's training at HB as this will be his position going forward, but Weller will play a flexible role between HB/wing/HF as needed. However, Weller hasn't played much in the HB position and is currently being trained in Ross' defensive structures through the preseason and so he can 'understudy' for Crozier's role should Croz be off the field. I don't expect them to fill the two HB positions much at the same time. I expect Mundy and Igbu (Logue?) will fill the other HB position most of the time to help bring the ball forward and with the size and skills to intercept mark.

Don't think we can play both Weller and Crozier and down back. Both are undersized and would make us too vulnerable imo. All good thinking it'll help our rebound but at what cost? I think we'd get slaughtered against the better forward lines. I do like idea of Crozier and Weller swapping from half forward to half back, it'd probably wouldn't work but would be interesting to see, both have different weapons as a forward.

That said they have been both training down back I'm looking forward to seeing improvement. In the practice matches I want to see how they go one on one and if they can hold their own. Can either of them read the play well enough to intercept mark/spoil/3rd man up like maybe Sheppard for WCE. Right now they're both just uncontested receivers and you can't play two of them. I would prefer logue with one of them as it currently stands.

Spurr Dawson/AP Hamling

Crozier does not agree, also catch a few of Weller's chase downs last year(I get you're talking about marking situations but still). Yeh, they would get toweled against a proper KPF but that shouldn't ever be the match up, speed is more important against a 3rd tallish bloke

Spurr Dawson/AP Hamling

Not everyone that is required to help move the ball out of defence are actually stationed/positioned in the back 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can not remember another off season where freo have brought in 4 mature age recruits (mccarthy b hill hamling kirsten) that are all ready to go. If they all play, that means that 4 incumbents are squeezed out. Add in the natural progression of Tucker, Blakely, Langdon, A Pearce, Collins and Weller, and the fact that Bennell will be a starter when he returns, and suddenly you have a pretty darn hard side to crack into.
I reckon some of Suban, D Pearce, Ballas, Dawson, Ibbotson, Sheridan and Crozier, will be pushed out this year. To a lesser extent, the pressure might also be on Johnson, Mundy and Spur.
At this stage, I reckon there are only 5 locks in the best 22 for the entire team, and that is Fyfe, Neale, Sandilands, Walters and S Hill.

I can not remember another off season where freo have brought in 4 mature age recruits (mccarthy b hill hamling kirsten) that are all ready to go. If they all play, that means that 4 incumbents are squeezed out. Add in the natural progression of Tucker, Blakely, Langdon, A Pearce, Collins and Weller, and the fact that Bennell will be a starter when he returns, and suddenly you have a pretty darn hard side to crack into.
I reckon some of Suban, D Pearce, Ballas, Dawson, Ibbotson, Sheridan and Crozier, will be pushed out this year. To a lesser extent, the pressure might also be on Johnson, Mundy and Spur.
At this stage, I reckon there are only 5 locks in the best 22 for the entire team, and that is Fyfe, Neale, Sandilands, Walters and S Hill.
Don't forget Sutcliffe? In all honesty how do you compete with GWS? With that many draft picks, kids coming through.
The only thing that may help is GWS have too many quality picks to choose from, hindering development, don't stick
with a stable 22, and clubs poaching.
Three of the four from memory were 1-2 round draft picks, add Bennell, and a poor season gets us back into the game.
The biggest asset could be Lyon, just needs to think like Leigh Mathews, and with so many big bodies on the list, my
prediction is Pain.

I have not read this thread, but what are people's thoughts on Ibbotson?

I think he's this years Mzungu.
I think Ibbo will surprise everyone on here (on the upside) and get back to his 2013/2014/2015 form. I see him running all the time around Bicton and he's looking cherry ripe this preseason. IMO he was exposed last year because the pieces around him kept changing due to injury and form. His greatest asset has been his ability to read the play and the chemistry he's built with MJ and Spurr (and to a certain extent, Sutcliffe) allow the three to rotate and roll off their opponents like it's second nature.

I think we underestimate just how good our defensive system was in 2013/2014/2015 with a fully fit backline.

Prior quote from today re JLT squad: “I think there’s only thee guys missing from our best side in Aaron (Sandilands), Harley Bennell and Lachie Neale. We’re coming up against a pretty strong side as well in West Coast, so it’s going to be a good task for us.”

Alex Pearce doesn't like this. Neither does Logue, Ryan or Balic, but you'd think they'll probably all debut this year.

Prior quote from today re JLT squad: “I think there’s only thee guys missing from our best side in Aaron (Sandilands), Harley Bennell and Lachie Neale. We’re coming up against a pretty strong side as well in West Coast, so it’s going to be a good task for us.”

Alex Pearce doesn't like this. Neither does Logue, Ryan or Balic, but you'd think they'll probably all debut this year.

This is our strongest side we could have named, AP is injured and the rest have never played game. Not sure what your point is here.

I think he only missed A Pearce (and he coaches him). I am sure Alex will sort him out as soon as they get home.

They've rule AP out until mid season. We can't get ourselves caught up thinking he's best 22. He probably is in reality but considering we are about to go half the season without him and we don't know what to expect coming off an injury like that it's better to move on for now and back two of Dawson, Hamling and Collins in with MJ or Logue third tall.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he only missed A Pearce (and he coaches him). I am sure Alex will sort him out as soon as they get home.
Yep exactly. That was my point :D I think people like to over think the meaning behind posts. If available he should be B22 but he may not play until end of season, if at all.

It is a strong squad for today's game but those are some pretty big outs still (3 of our top 4 players I'd say) - best ruck, best possession winner, best x-factor and arguably our best KPD prospect.

I think Ibbo will surprise everyone on here (on the upside) and get back to his 2013/2014/2015 form. I see him running all the time around Bicton and he's looking cherry ripe this preseason. IMO he was exposed last year because the pieces around him kept changing due to injury and form. His greatest asset has been his ability to read the play and the chemistry he's built with MJ and Spurr (and to a certain extent, Sutcliffe) allow the three to rotate and roll off their opponents like it's second nature.

I think we underestimate just how good our defensive system was in 2013/2014/2015 with a fully fit backline.
I'll admit I totally got this wrong and to the other posters who I argued Susan wasn't best 22, I'll admit I got it wrong. Some players are just indefensible when the team loses when you're in and wins when you're out. After both showing their worth (or lack there of) to the starting line up for 2017 i'd like to revise my prediction for how ross will choose his team for round 1 and my preferred team for the year:

Round 1:

FB: Spurr - Dawson - Sutcliffe
HB: Croz - Hamling - MJ
M: Hilly - Fyfe - Billy
HF: Sonny - Cam Mac - Langdon
FF: Ballas - Tabs - Griffin
Foll: Sandi - Mundy - Neale
Int: Blakely - Weller - Sheridan - Tucker

Preferred line up if everyone was fit:

FB: Spurr - A.Pearce - Sutcliffe
HB: Croz - Hamling - MJ (loose) - Weller
HF: Harley - Cam Mac - Tabs
FF: Sonny - Ape
Int: Blakely - Langdon - Sheridan - Tucker

I'll admit I totally got this wrong and to the other posters who I argued Susan wasn't best 22, I'll admit I got it wrong. Some players are just indefensible when the team loses when you're in and wins when you're out. After both showing their worth (or lack there of) to the starting line up for 2017 i'd like to revise my prediction for how ross will choose his team for round 1 and my preferred team for the year:

Round 1:

FB: Spurr - Dawson - Sutcliffe
HB: Croz - Hamling - MJ
HF: Sonny - Cam Mac - Langdon
FF: Ballas - Tabs - Griffin
Int: Blakely - Weller - Sheridan - Tucker

Preferred line up if everyone was fit:

FB: Spurr - A.Pearce - Sutcliffe
HB: Croz - Hamling - MJ (loose) - Weller
HF: Harley - Cam Mac - Tabs
FF: Sonny - Ape
Int: Blakely - Langdon - Sheridan - Tucker
We actually never play a seven man defence. The extra man is created by most teams playing their half forward as a midfielder with the two half forwards matching up on one another. Cant see Crozier playing half back after playing half forward in the preseason games and at the moment Danyle Pearce would be ahead of Sheridan I think. We definitely played six forwards for most of the game yesterday.
My tip is
Round 1:
B: Spurr Dawson Johno
HB: Weller Hamling Sutcliffe
C: B.Hill Mundy S.Hill
HF: Blakely Tabs Langdon
FF: Walters McCarthy Ballas
R: Sandy Fyfe Neale
I/C Tucker, Griffin, D.Pearce, Ibbo

Personally Id play Crozier in defence and have him in the team with Ibbo missing out. Id also play Apeness and not Griffin.

My hope is that this is a year of transition with the following changes by the end of the year:
Alex Pearce in Dawson out if our forward line improves. Alex to play a lock down role on the opposition's best tall forward so Hamling and Johno can play attacking roles.
A.Pearce to play forward if we are still struggling to find tall goal kickers and Dawson to stay in the team.
D.Pearce out and Bennell in with Tucker and Langdon to play more wing.
Logue in and Ibbo out with Logue to start his career playing on mid sized rather than key position players.
Apeness in Griffin out.
That would give us a team looking like:
B: Spurr A.Pearce Johno
HB Weller Hamling Logue
C: D.Tucker Fyfe B.Hill
HF Bennell Tabs Langdon
FF Apeness McCarthy Ballas
R: Sandy Neale S.Hill

I/C Mundy, Blakely, Ballas, Suttcliffe or sheridan depending on form.

Christmas edition. Question marks after the ones not in full training:

Back: Spurr Pearce? Logue
HB: Weller Hamling Crozier?
C: Hill Fyfe Hill
HF: Sheridan Tabs Langdon
F: Walters McCarthy Balla
R: Sandi Neale? Mundy

Inter: Blakely, Tucker, Jonno?, Ape?

Emerg: Sutty, Ibbo, Kerstin, Clarke, DP, Balic, Ryan, Collins, Hughes, Griff, Dawson, Cox.

Think it's taking shape now.

B: Spurr Dawson Jonno
HB: Weller Hamling Sutty
C: Hill Fyfe Hill
HF: Tucker Kerstin Langdon
F: Walters McCarthy Croz
R: Sandi Neale Mundy

Inter: Blakely, Danyle, Griff, Ibbo

Emerg: Sheridan, Suban, Tabs, Logue, Cox.

No doubt the actual rd1 side will have Dawson in it though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back