Other Ways To Watch AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I may need a larger pay increase to afford Foxtel :D

#Onabudget

If you are a telstra customer (or you can buy a $2 sim card), they were offering free 3 month trial with free installation a while back. I did that and when I went to 'cancel' (I know they dont let you cancel without offering you a discount) they threw a heap at me to stay on. So currently I have the standard pack, sports, HD and Entertainment plus for $35 a month (which I have recently found out sports pack will be increased by $4 next bill). But anyway, If anyone who loves sport cant afford that then there is something wrong with their budgeting/priorities!!!

Plus being a telstra phone holder I get the AFL live app free. Previously I hooked this up to my TV with a HDMI but dont need to with Foxtel. But it worked seamlessly for me.

You have 100% made my f@#$ day sir... "Free" footy ( Thanks Dad!! :p ) for me!

Not to mention I can also watch the F1 on my projector instead of on a 4" mobile screen!!

I can confirm this absolutely works. Foxtel Go app on PC FTW! :):):)

100% foxtel Go. My parents have Foxtel at their place, i use their subscription to give me Foxtel Go through my PC. There are two football channels on the app now, one is fox footy+ and I cant remember what the other was off the top of my head. But i simply clicked that stream for the JTL games and plugged the laptop in via HDMI to the TV. Simple, Done!

Previosly they had the blackout but I read an article here saying its no longer blacked out for the 2017 season.Read this article below, thE new broadcast deal starts 2017 hence why its now avalible on foxtel go.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n/news-story/c5a5c857a4b02f8b1790b30e4dfba55d
That's great news for those with access to FOXTEL Go.
Now I can watch the footy from my projector (hooked up to PC via HDMI).
Previously I could only watch from tablet.

100% foxtel Go. My parents have Foxtel at their place, i use their subscription to give me Foxtel Go through my PC. There are two football channels on the app now, one is fox footy+ and I cant remember what the other was off the top of my head. But i simply clicked that stream for the JTL games and plugged the laptop in via HDMI to the TV. Simple, Done!

Previosly they had the blackout but I read an article here saying its no longer blacked out for the 2017 season.Read this article below, thE new broadcast deal starts 2017 hence why its now avalible on foxtel go.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n/news-story/c5a5c857a4b02f8b1790b30e4dfba55d
I tried this option on the weekend, and everytime I plugged the hdmi cord into my laptop the stream would stop and a message would come up saying not available. Took the hdmi cord out and the message goes away and the stream starts again. Absolute joke!

I have been using the AFL Live subscription the last 2 years and just watch it on my ipad. Like KM, I prefer saving the money instead of spending it on Foxtel which I really would only be getting purely for 1 channel. The other stuff is garbage.

I have always quite enjoyed watching the footy on the ipad. I like it because my wife doesn't complain as she gets the TV, and I can just put a headphone in, sit on the couch next to her and watch my game. I've also liked that you could tap the screen and instantly get the stats etc.

But now that they've reduced the size of the screen, this option has gone. I tried watching a game the other day on ipad and the video was just too small. I really struggled to make out the players, and it was just unenjoyable and frustrating.

I'll keep the subscription until it expires, and then cancel it.

I have the Foxtel go app at the moment and am getting the foxfooty channel. However, I'm not sure if the channel will still be available for the season proper. It hasn't been in previous seasons....only on the ipad. I also use my parents login so I can access it.

I also have it on my Samsung phone. So I thought I'd be smart and I bought google chrome so I can stream it onto the TV. But it doesn't let you with Foxtel.

There are just so many barriers to watch the game now. This is our national game, and it should be accessible to all. If there was a fair package with Foxtel I'd get it...but I can't justify spending $55 a month for one channel.

I have been using the AFL Live subscription the last 2 years and just watch it on my ipad. Like KM, I prefer saving the money instead of spending it on Foxtel which I really would only be getting purely for 1 channel. The other stuff is garbage.

I have always quite enjoyed watching the footy on the ipad. I like it because my wife doesn't complain as she gets the TV, and I can just put a headphone in, sit on the couch next to her and watch my game. I've also liked that you could tap the screen and instantly get the stats etc.

But now that they've reduced the size of the screen, this option has gone. I tried watching a game the other day on ipad and the video was just too small. I really struggled to make out the players, and it was just unenjoyable and frustrating.

I have the Foxtel go app at the moment and am getting the foxfooty channel. However, I'm not sure if the channel will still be available for the season proper. It hasn't been in previous seasons....only on the ipad. I also use my parents login so I can access it.

I also have it on my Samsung phone. So I thought I'd be smart and I bought google chrome so I can stream it onto the TV. But it doesn't let you with Foxtel.

There are just so many barriers to watch the game now. This is our national game, and it should be accessible to all. If there was a fair package with Foxtel I'd get it...but I can't justify spending $55 a month for one channel.

there seem to be a variety of options floating around on other boards in similar threads - take time to read them.

As mentioned above, it will be available now on PC as of the 2017 season.

Under this deal, for the first time, Fox Footy will be able to be broadcast on all devices, which means that if you subscribe to Foxtel Play or use Foxtel Go, you’ll now be able to watch all games on PCs and Macs as well as tablets, phones and games consoles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried this option on the weekend, and everytime I plugged the hdmi cord into my laptop the stream would stop and a message would come up saying not available. Took the hdmi cord out and the message goes away and the stream starts again. Absolute joke!

Yeh mine had the same issue, you can simply click on the "live now" tab on the app again and that also works if its easier than removing and reinstalling the HDMI cord.

Whats a kodi?

https://kodi.tv/

http://forum.kodi.tv/

At it's purest, it's simply software (that runs on Windows, Android, Linux etc) that allows you to play your media files in a neat manner, with movie descriptions etc.

However, there are also unofficial addons (kind of like apps within the software) that allow it to do much more.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a way to get the afl live pass to mirror through Apple TV? I know they've blocked, but i was hoping some clever person out there had found a way around it. I'm in the same boat as many by the sounds of it, I don't want to pay $50 per month purely for the footy channel as i only need it to watch 1-2 games per round. I just got a months worth of afl live pass, but watching on my phone screen doesn't do it for me. Last season was great, I bought a season pass, airplayed it through Apple TV, and Bob was my uncle. This year it seems as though the AFL have said, "actually, you know what? F**k you all".
Suggestions anyone??

Has anyone found a way to get the afl live pass to mirror through Apple TV? I know they've blocked, but i was hoping some clever person out there had found a way around it. I'm in the same boat as many by the sounds of it, I don't want to pay $50 per month purely for the footy channel as i only need it to watch 1-2 games per round. I just got a months worth of afl live pass, but watching on my phone screen doesn't do it for me. Last season was great, I bought a season pass, airplayed it through Apple TV, and Bob was my uncle. This year it seems as though the AFL have said, "actually, you know what? F**k you all".
Suggestions anyone??
I'm hoping someone can do the same thing for Android as well. As of today I can't stream the game to my chromecast. Those turds at Telstra hve rejigged the app so that it won't work anymore.

I was against the Foxtel AFL monopoly until I was forced to pay to see all F1 races live.
It has been a revelation.
I pay $65 a month for the sports package with HD. Of course you have to have the entertainment before you can get the sports package. And if you don't want HD then it's $55 per month.
Recently it has gone up $5 a month for my package.
$65 a month is $16.25 per week.......
About half a pack of cigarettes, or three full strength beer pots at the pub.
If you can't find that per week then your not trying.

For a bit of extra value I have my parents on Foxtel Go, hooked up to the TV via computer. (Not via HDMI because that simply doesn't work as Foxtel state) My mother is football/cricket mad so definitely value there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back