One rookie to be elevated...

Remove this Banner Ad

Seals it for me ... Moore or Stengle.
In both cases we can do both. We have two open spots One for Yarran LTI and with the other we are allowed to promote one rookie at the start of the yr like all clubs can.

I think with Rioli, Lloyd and Bolton we can pick a greater need than Stengle. Would certainly be happy with two of Moore Chol or Castagna.

I thought there was only one round of rookie promotions for all clubs, after round 11? At the start of the season, clubs with less than 40 players on the main list can upgrade rookies before the season to make up the 40, but we aren't one of those clubs. Or have the rules changed again this season?
One rookie only for us, to replace CY. I'd go with George.

No brainer castagna and Moore
Exactly my view and is a no brainer

Castagna is ready to step up and needs to be upgraded before any other player
Moore has also come along way and from whats been said and written he is our most likely best KPF option

Chol - Still 2 years away from being ready both physically and also game sense ( but im a huge wrap for the kid, I like him as our future CHB)
Stengle - Fitness , Speed and also experience needed , Looks good in patches but still away off
Soldo - No Chance yet and similar to Chol still 2 years away and needs to learn his craft under Hampson / Maric / Nankervis 2019 and beyond

Why rush into promoting anyone. We have something like 38 or 40 non rookie players to pick from so we are only promoting for the sake of it.
Maybe if a ruck man goes down early in the season we can upgrade Soldo. If we're looking for a small around goal - it's Stengle, a running player = George and KPP = Chol. Wait until we need it rather than rush in unnecessarily I say.

I thought there was only one round of rookie promotions for all clubs, after round 11? At the start of the season, clubs with less than 40 players on the main list can upgrade rookies before the season to make up the 40, but we aren't one of those clubs. Or have the rules changed again this season?
You're correct

I feel Stengle and Castagna are both in the frame somewhat for round 1 at this point. Both will probably get a chance over the next few weeks and whoever takes it better probably gets the nod.

I do believe your right ive not been including Yarran when doing a count of the players on the list proper because hes not there.
Just one for us unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why hurry?

Stengle has serious competition ahead of him, so is unlikely to get the gig. Castanga is worth a shot. Talls might be needed if we get injuries/poor form. No rush.

Yep, think it will be just the one upgrade. Another can happen later. Form will dictate this - if George continues to be the most dominate small other than Rioli he'll be upgraded. He looks good running the forward patterns and getting front and sq.

Moore is a wild card - he has enormous upside and people closer will know if he up to it just yet. Could help Jack.

Why rush into promoting anyone. We have something like 38 or 40 non rookie players to pick from so we are only promoting for the sake of it.
Maybe if a ruck man goes down early in the season we can upgrade Soldo. If we're looking for a small around goal - it's Stengle, a running player = George and KPP = Chol. Wait until we need it rather than rush in unnecessarily I say.
If you have open spots for upgrade at the start of the year, you cant bank them you have to use them.

We're covering a long term injury though. We can upgrade whenever we like
Exactly. But there are those 2-4 week injuries when an upgraded rookie could be given a go because LTI is not in play. As I said a few posts up and Dr. mentions, Stengle I 'assume' is behind Bolton who is also trying to get a gig.

JLT will be obviously a good indicator if any of the rookies are worth promoting before R1. Chol perhaps, but is coming from a long way back.

Otherwise, I'm with you, wait for LTI.

I think we should upgrade based on positional need, and the weakest area of the ground for us at the moment is our key position stocks.

We have 2 players to bring up out of 5 options:

Moore
Chol
Soldo
Castagna
Stengle

I think while it's normally good practice to promote based on form, this time I think we also must promote based on positional need as well.

Although Stengle has shown great signs, his type of position is one that we have some decent depth in right now with Edwards, Rioli, Bolton, etc. Plus Stengle is the newest recruit, and he'll get an opportunity down the line.

Castagna seems an obvious choice as well, but again we've built some solid depth with Markov, Short, etc coming into the side last year, and we probably don't need to bring him up just yet either. Again, he'll come up at some point in the future, but he's not what we need right now.

Callum Moore showed some signs as a Key Forward in his couple of games last year, and looked good at VFL level as well. He might not have the best form of the 5 players on our rookie list, but he's the only genuine key forward on that list, and we can't afford to treat him like we've done with Elton, so for me, he gets one of the spots, and he also gets some games in 2017 for the senior team too.

Which leaves 1 spot between Chol and Soldo, and as much as Chol has developed, we've had Soldo on the books for a few years now, and he killed it in the intra-club match recently with some strong contested marking and I think he nailed a goal or two as well playing as a ruck. Chol and Soldo are both ruck players, and while I believe Chol will ultimately end up becoming the better player of the two, I think now is the time to give Soldo the chance to prove himself.

So my two elevations would be Callum Moore and Ivan Soldo.

With all that said, my belief is that the RFC are going to promote Chol and Castagna, which I would disagree with for the reasons above, but if that's what they decide to do, I'm willing to trust that they're doing it that way for a reason, because they have far more knowledge about the progress of these 5 players and their standing within our list, than I or anybody else on this forum does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back