Shahid Afridi - Will he ever grow up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost impossible to forget this;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66057.html

Say whatever you like... maybe he was a older than 16, but he was almost certainly still very young and he was only playing in his second one-day international. And I'm sure the ground was small... but many of his shots would have cleared the largest boundaries in the world. And it was against a relatively full-strength Sri Lankan team -- the same one that had won the World Cup earlier that year.

People say that Jayasuriya changed the face of one-day cricket batting. But I reckon it was Afridi that took it to the next level... particularly on that day.

If we substituted the name Sehwag for Afridi I don't think immature would be the
term used, even though as batsmen they suffered from similar ailments (Sehwag just happened to be better)

Whilst Afridi does warrant a bit more credit than the flippant disregard from the above poster, Sehwag was a slasher rather than a slog across the line type which is a far higher percentage approach to take.

316262-3x2-340x227.jpg

The bloke ate pace bowlers for dinner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If what he says is true then my respect for him has increased significantly.

I wonder if he touches on that biting scandal at the WACA in his book?

Predictable focus on irrelevant guff like his age aside, this is a pretty remarkable account of what was going on back in 2010 or so. I do recall watching his innings' in that Australian series thinking what the hell is going through this guys mind. Thought it was just nonchalance or T20, but no.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26666171/how-shahid-afridi-helped-unearth-2010-spot-fix
Very interesting read. It's hard to know how much is true though. If it's true, then it could help explain some of Afridi's more erratic behaviour ... but the argument could be made that his erratic behaviour makes him not the most reliable of witnesses.

If what he says is true then my respect for him has increased significantly.

I wonder if he touches on that biting scandal at the WACA in his book?
It was probably just a brain fade like Rampe climbing a goal post.

You wouldn't make it so blatant if it was intentional cheating

If you watch the footage of his debut in Nairobi, his profile shows him as being 21 years of age so I'm not sure how it came about that he was supposedly born in 1980.

There is a saying, Pathans are dumber than donkeys. I can explain better in my language but most Indians / Pakiatani here are like Grunder Sandhu or Usman Khwaja, they won't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back