tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Well here we are again new season , some players lost to the area, others returning, and a host of new ones as per usual. Must say well done Port Douglas on their 2016 Premeriship win , Souths Reseves did an outstanding job their 1st since 2009 just
a kick just before the siren. Best of luck all clubs let the Rivilary egain once more . Tamba is back

Placing up for :-

CAIRNS CITY LIONS ARE SEEKING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR;
SENIOR COACH
RESERVE GRADE COACH
COLTS COACH
for 2017 SEASON
We are seeking applicants who are committed to building a strong culture and long term success.
The roles require exceptional communication and people skills, a belief in the development of youth, knowledge of best practice training and preparation standards
The roles of Senior & Reserve grade coaches can be playing or non-playing and will be supported by a strong committee, football department and leadership group.
Previous experience is not necessary; however a love of football with a desire to be successful and develop those around you is a prerequisite
Level 1 Coaching qualifications are required prior to season commencement
The Colts coach will foster our youth to develop into great seniors while focusing on season success at Colts level
Level 1 Coaching and a QLD Blue card is required to coach junior sport
The roles of Senior, Reserve and Colts coaches are expected to work together to develop a strong inclusive club.
Applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence.
All applicants are directed in the first instance to Rob Taranto 0407639051 or Syd Fatnowna 0417627369 or info@cairnscitylions.com.au

Lets get this chat really going again after a few years lost in the wilderness. Cities are obviously struggling, Souths have picked up some handy players, Saints have had good numbers but no signs of any gun recruits yet. Anyone got any names of adds or loses?

Cities have lost gross to port for $350 a game. Cam Adam to centrals with 1 other. Seden to hawks with a Myriad of others and 2 to Souths apparently. Add that to the 4/5 gone back to tassie and possibly Lewis gone with mcnab to eastern vic

Cities have lost gross to port for $350 a game. Cam Adam to centrals with 1 other. Seden to hawks with a Myriad of others and 2 to Souths apparently. Add that to the 4/5 gone back to tassie and possibly Lewis gone with mcnab to eastern vic

Must be doing something terribly wrong up there?

Looks as thought they don't have a ressies side and are somewhat teaming up with Power.

Have personally spoken to a few of the outgoing players who all had a problem with last years coach But even after he left they still wouldn't return even if it meant the club would fold without them. I'm talking players who have played at the club for the last 4-5 years or even longer. Have had solid numbers on the track with the exception of a few kids but I personally think they are 4-5 senior players short of being a competitive team that could win a couple games against the likes of manunda/norths and maybe centrals

Have personally spoken to a few of the outgoing players who all had a problem with last years coach But even after he left they still wouldn't return even if it meant the club would fold without them. I'm talking players who have played at the club for the last 4-5 years or even longer. Have had solid numbers on the track with the exception of a few kids but I personally think they are 4-5 senior players short of being a competitive team that could win a couple games against the likes of manunda/norths and maybe centrals

Don't expect Norths to be the pushovers of last season.

What i see as the Lions biggest problem is the lack of a true identity. People don't want to be a part of something that changes five minutes after they start to feel a part of.

Stop being Cities or Cairns City or Redlynch Juniors and start being Valleys Beaches or just plain Lions and build off of that.

I think all teams will be hard pressed to match it with port and Souths with the likes of centrals and saints to maybe pinch a game or 2. At the moment the club has no real identity with all but a handful of blokes left there. However they are in a good position to start a new and re create a club culture that it has been missing the last 10+ years

agreed, I have also spoken to a number of very disgruntled players re last years coach. Seems the incident between McNabe and Webb did the club some damage. I would suggest in hindsight that they kept the wrong coach on after the incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Committee at the time did nothing about the situation nor listen to the players concerns hence why some won't come back while they are still there. Whispers around about a senior coach from an opposing club last year is willing to help out where he can also

Committee at the time did nothing about the situation nor listen to the players concerns hence why some won't come back while they are still there. Whispers around about a senior coach from an opposing club last year is willing to help out where he can also

Sad thing is I watched every game they played last year and up until this incident they were playing some good footy

They need to take whatever help they can.
Why did Pollock pull out of the coaching gig?

Sad thing is I watched every game they played last year and up until this incident they were playing some good footy

Very true, but they imploded in a bad way which will hard to get that stink off.

Is one game from Dempsey really going to bring in an army?

Anyone catch the "salary cap" in the paper today?

From what I heard pollock had prior commitments maybe ? In terms of announcing getting Courtenay over for a game has already bought a few of past seasons players that hadn't been training out of the woodwork. This round 1 game could possibly draw a crowd with talks of Courtenay bringing another ex afl player and Palmerston team mate with him however it's only going to benefit cutters with it being their home game. In terms of salary cap in the paper I'm not much for it. I came up her 12/13 years ago and the quality of football was pretty poor but have seen vast improvement in the past 7/8 years and I put that down to being able to recruit from southern states and you can't do that without $$$. It showed with lions last season when the spent some $$ recruiting from down south. Even though now they wish they hadn't.
Will love to hear all your opinions on the salary cap. I can only see it as a negative and yes it will level the playing field but will bring the level of football down along with it.

From what I heard pollock had prior commitments maybe ? In terms of announcing getting Courtenay over for a game has already bought a few of past seasons players that hadn't been training out of the woodwork. This round 1 game could possibly draw a crowd with talks of Courtenay bringing another ex afl player and Palmerston team mate with him however it's only going to benefit cutters with it being their home game. In terms of salary cap in the paper I'm not much for it. I came up her 12/13 years ago and the quality of football was pretty poor but have seen vast improvement in the past 7/8 years and I put that down to being able to recruit from southern states and you can't do that without $$$. It showed with lions last season when the spent some $$ recruiting from down south. Even though now they wish they hadn't.
Will love to hear all your opinions on the salary cap. I can only see it as a negative and yes it will level the playing field but will bring the level of football down along with it.
Bringing quality footballers into the local comp has to be a good thing. Watching Taylor (Lions) playing last year clearly added a touch of class. I guess there is a balance and I know some of the lions players were not paid correctly, which makes it hard when you fly players in. Who would want to be on a football club committee trying to get the balance right between developing juniors, looking after local players and recruiting quality players to boost the standard. I take my hat off too them.

Completely agree !!
I heard centrals captain from last year wasn't in the 10 paid players.
Would having a lower salary cap force clubs paying 5k+ a game to put a bit more time into promoting the talent at their junior clubs ?
Most Junior clubs up here have no real affiliation to their senior teams and it shows when they turn 18 they lose interest and probably don't even know they have a senior team because they don't train the same nights or play the same day.
Growing up and playing junior football in Victoria playing before the reserves and seniors I always stuck around with my mates to watch my favourite senior players.

Completely agree !!
Would having a lower salary cap force clubs paying 5k+ a game to put a bit more time into promoting the talent at their junior clubs ?
Most Junior clubs up here have no real affiliation to their senior teams and it shows when they turn 18 they lose interest and probably don't even know they have a senior team because they don't train the same nights or play the same day.
Growing up and playing junior football in Victoria playing before the reserves and seniors I always stuck around with my mates to watch my favourite senior players.

At Norths it's been hard the past 4 or 5 seasons not having a colts side, but our womens juniors and mens all train on the same nights but i get were you are coming from.

As for the salary cap i understand the reasons for it and against it with some of the clubs having endless revenue behind them and the hawks basically being a free ride.
The way i would fix it is that every dollar spent on a player not local the club has to pay half that into a support fund and then that gets pumped back into the local junior clubs.
IE. Centrals pays a player $10,000 from Adelaide $8,000 to a player from tassie and $15,000 for an ex-AFL player then $16,500 into the support fund that then gets added to the rest to be circulated later.
Would improve juniors by lowering their rego, help out with tournaments etc.

Basically i'm going with the you can pay for players you can help out the league improving the juniors option.

At Norths it's been hard the past 4 or 5 seasons not having a colts side, but our womens juniors and mens all train on the same nights but i get were you are coming from.

As for the salary cap i understand the reasons for it and against it with some of the clubs having endless revenue behind them and the hawks basically being a free ride.
The way i would fix it is that every dollar spent on a player not local the club has to pay half that into a support fund and then that gets pumped back into the local junior clubs.
IE. Centrals pays a player $10,000 from Adelaide $8,000 to a player from tassie and $15,000 for an ex-AFL player then $16,500 into the support fund that then gets added to the rest to be circulated later.

Basically i'm going with the you can pay for players you can help out the league improving the juniors option.
I guess no matter which way they go it isn't going to please everyone. Saints seem to get the balance right and it shows with their success. Agree that whatever can be done to reduce fees for juniors and make the sport appealing need to be done. It is a long way back for clubs struggling with juniors not progressing through to seniors and the young players don't seem overly interested in serving an apprenticeship in the reserves. If they don't think there are opportunities at senior level then a lot of them walk away from our great game.

Completely agree !!
I grew up with the same situation in SA. There is sadly no connection between junior and senior clubs in Cairns at it almost seems like an "us versus them". Good clubs nurture their juniors and identify opportunities for junior players to train and assimilate with seniors throughout the season. Problem is the junior numbers are not great so there is a real reluctance for allowing player promotion any earlier than required.

All very valid points gents !!!
I think a lot more can be done for the juniors not just by the senior teams but also by afl cairns/Queensland.
One reason most parents don't get their children involved in any sport is because of the cost involved.
If they do go with a salary cap and want to even the comp up it will have to be low say like 50-60k however back when I was playing we used to get paid cash. There's no way afl cairns can police 30-40k getting paid off the books

Please explain "... and the hawks basically being a free ride".

Please explain "... and the hawks basically being a free ride".

What do you mean?

Thought everyone knew that the Hawks basically get a pristine ground to play on at minimum cost to the club.
Do they pay for the lights?
Do they get players due to the ground they play on?
Do they pay to have the Hawks Bar?

I mean come on we all know about the handouts they got to rejoin the AFL Cairns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back