gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Marchbank will be a good player, I think there were a lot of good signs from first and second year recruits last week. Curnow, Fisher, Pickett, Marchbank, Weitering and Lebois showed plenty. Silvagni showed plenty last year. Haven't seen Petrevski-Seton or Polson yet. No Cripps. I think our forward line struggles from a midfield that just isn't great, I think with quality and plentiful supply they would do ok.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Troy Menzel's 40 games at Carlton:
356 disposals
151 marks
46 goals
25 tackles

Kerridge + GWS 4 from 5 games average this year:
353 disposals
94 marks
16 goals
68 tackles

If the 5 players continue at the exact trajectory as they currently are, then by the time they reach Menzel's 40 games at Carlton:

2824 disposals
752 marks
288 goals
544 tackles

Apart from being an all time great of our football club,full back of the century, establishing a father/son academy which is required to accommodate just your sons alone, Stephen Silvagni, what have you done for us lately?
It's actually better than that.

Menzel has not played another AFL game since we traded him.

Every single stat. by Kerridge and GWS4 puts us ahead...:)

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Get Fyfe...
Would be great but not if it costs us a few quality players.

RFA = big $1m+ pa contract for 5 years - so CFC lose the opportunity to draft 2 good alternative players (if we can access them).
IF forced to trade then probably lose Gibbs and our first round pick this year or next.

Really would like Fyfe but his injury history and likely cost make this very high risk list management.
But then no risk = no reward...

I am so :huh:

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldn't come to CFC. He wants to be part of a flag now not in 5 years time. We need to keep our draft picks and rebuild our midfield and ruck division.
St.Kilda & Melbourne stuck to their plan and are now ready to make a launch for a flag in the next few years.
STK and the Dee's are not the model for CFC.

I want another flag in my lifetime...

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
He looks the goods but let's not go too early, Kristian Jacksch starred in his first pre-season games for us as well.
While I can recall him getting a few grabs in defence and disposing of it well, I don't think he showed the run that Marchbank did.

I don't think Jaksch has played at that level of intensity since he was at GWS.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Troy Menzel's 40 games at Carlton:
356 disposals
151 marks
46 goals
25 tackles

Kerridge + GWS 4 from 5 games average this year:
353 disposals
94 marks
16 goals
68 tackles

If the 5 players continue at the exact trajectory as they currently are, then by the time they reach Menzel's 40 games at Carlton:

2824 disposals
752 marks
288 goals
544 tackles

Apart from being an all time great of our football club,full back of the century, establishing a father/son academy which is required to accommodate just your sons alone, Stephen Silvagni, what have you done for us lately?
I actually think this is going to turn out a very interesting trade. For me it's still a toss of the coin. Personally I think we will end up taking 4 list cloggers who will have taken near $1,000,000 of salary cap space and got one handy to good player in Plowman.
We have given up Menzel who to this point has done nothing but is extremely talented.

We needed depth but by front loading contracts then using the saved money on future FA's and keeping Menzel we may still have been better off. Only time will tell but

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I actually think this is going to turn out a very interesting trade. For me it's still a toss of the coin. Personally I think we will end up taking 4 list cloggers who will have taken near $1,000,000 of salary cap space and got one handy to good player in Plowman.
We have given up Menzel who to this point has done nothing but is extremely talented.

We needed depth but by front loading contracts then using the saved money on future FA's and keeping Menzel we may still have been better off. Only time will tell but

Menzel still has the same game he has when he left us, does things that make you think wow, this guy could be a seriously good footballer, but spends most of his time hands on knees, blowing up, not to mention the constant worrying about him doing another knee.
Think Plowman and Sumner have plenty of talent and could be regular best 22 players, Phillips at worst is handy depth, Lamb is list clogger material, but GWS wanted the salary dump and Kerridge has obvious limitations but still gives us a big bodied mid, at a time which we very much have a need.
Let's not forget Kerridge was the stake knifes in this deal, pick 28 was what SOS really needed. We got a 5 for 1 in this trade, imagine which spuds we'd could still have on our list if SOS hadn't made this trade.

Last edited:

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Menzel still has the same game he has when he left us, does things that make you think wow, this guy could be a seriously good footballer, but spends most of his time hands on knees, blowing up, not to mention the constant worrying about him doing another knee.
Think Plowman and Sumner have plenty of talent and could be regular best 22 players, Phillips at worst is handy depth, Lamb is list clogger material, but GWS wanted the salary dump and Kerridge has obvious limitations but still gives us a big bodied mid, at a time which we very much have a need.
Let's not forget Kerridge was the stake knifes in this deal, pick 28 was what SOS really needed. We got a 5 for 1 in this trade, imagine which spuds we'd could still have on our list if SOS hadn't made this trade.
I'm not saying I don't like the trade but for me personally I only rate one of the five players we got and we have taken up a lot of cap room on the others that I think could have been spent a lot better. I do hope I am proven wrong and I do still hold out hope for Sumner and Phillips

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not saying I don't like the trade but for me personally I only rate one of the five players we got and we have taken up a lot of cap room on the others that I think could have been spent a lot better. I do hope I am proven wrong and I do still hold out hope for Sumner and Phillips

We had to spend 95% of the cap and we needed a full roster of players so I am very happy with SOS work. Remember Malthouse said 'nobody wants to come to CFC' so who else did you have in mind that we could have got for $ unders/limited trade collateral?

In the unlikely event those 5 do not make the grade, SOS will cut them and spend that $1m on 5 other players who deserve a chance to play AFL.
But I rate Plowman and Sumner, plus think Phillips, Lamb and Kerridge are useful for CFC depth and will play more AFL games before our list is rebuilt. They are all far from the worst on our list.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
We had to spend 95% of the cap and we needed a full roster of players so I am very happy with SOS work. Remember Malthouse said 'nobody wants to come to CFC' so who else did you have in mind that we could have got for $ unders/limited trade collateral?

In the unlikely event those 5 do not make the grade, SOS will cut them and spend that $1m on 5 other players who deserve a chance to play AFL.
But I rate Plowman and Sumner, plus think Phillips, Lamb and Kerridge are useful for CFC depth and will play more AFL games before our list is rebuilt. They are all far from the worst on our list.
I agree they have made us more competitive but there was nothing stopping us front loading the money onto Cripps, Gibbs ect contracts so we would have still had an extra $2million up our sleeve at the end of this season.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree they have made us more competitive but there was nothing stopping us front loading the money onto Cripps, Gibbs ect contracts so we would have still had an extra $2million up our sleeve at the end of this season.
And if Gibbs heads back to SA...
We cannot rely on a few stars.
We need 21 high quality players plus Cripps:cool:.
SOS is trying to get there be patient and enjoy the journey

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
And if Gibbs heads back to SA...
We cannot rely on a few stars.
We need 21 high quality players plus Cripps:cool:.
SOS is trying to get there be patient and enjoy the journey
I'm really just playing the role of the devils advocate. I'm extremely excited and happy with the path we have and are taking even if I don't agree with every single decision

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

Yes that last sentence is key. Typically we wouldn't have been able to get a trade like that. Without those 5 the season could have been a lot worse. I was disappointed in Menzel going to Adelaide for not much but hopefully the gws deal will make up for it, which was sos's thinking.

I have similar hopes for sumner and plowman as above post. They have talent.

It's been said many times that lamb lacks x factor but he still has good decision making and skills l think. Typically when you describe a forward like that he ends up playing in defence. I wonder if there any thoughts about him playing as a small defender.

I'm becoming more disappointed in kerridge by the week. I turned on the TV and within a matter of minutes he turned it over. His skill level should have been known by the recruiters, it didn't just happen over night. Adelaide would have surely known about this as they weren't playing him. He would have been close to delisted. The trade is looking like Menzel for pick 28.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It's been said many times that lamb lacks x factor but he still has good decision making and skills l think. Typically when you describe a forward like that he ends up playing in defence. I wonder if there any thoughts about him playing as a small defender.

Hope so. I have been pushing for it for a while now.

Not sure Bolton is listening to me though? :straining:

Back