Switch Nintendo Switch News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Nintendo Friend Codes Because We Can't Just Have A Username System Like Everything Else In The World Below (Tag me if you want to be added to the list):

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! 5833-6213-1812
Donakebab 6752-4749-7681
D_P_S 3376-2374-8801
Hooligan87 3506-7027-4806
JordanWCE 2593-6592-0417
kangle4 0500-8391-0541
MakeshiftMartyr 3723-3685-1896
Nostradumbass 2276-5101-5051
Premiers04 6086-9267-1025
Runnin Blue 1241-1513-3057
Seanybruz 2712-4467-2316
suedehead 2069-4176-7608
Valentino Dmitri 7673 3657 6397
Mr Mojo Risin SW-4028-9426-9117
Quivorir - SW-3256-3624-5222
dtm06 - 7508-4217-8208
Mister Carlton - SW-1311-0833-0826
Loonerty - 0212-1529-7520

The not so long awaited Nintendo Switch is finally out. Please keep all post Switch launch discussion in here.

Wired - 5/10
And right now, that’s about all one can say about Switch: It has a new Zelda, you can definitely play it in handheld mode, and you might be able to play it in TV mode if you’re lucky. Switch has the potential to be all things to all people: TV console, next-gen Game Boy, wacky motion controls, traditional hardcore game machine, even multiplayer-in-a-box. But today, with just hours to go before launch, Switch is lacking some basic functionality.
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/review-nintendo-switch/

IGN - 6.7/10
As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/03/01/nintendo-switch-review

Engadget 84/100
The Switch fixes all of the mistakes of the Wii U and doubles-down on that system's best feature. But there are still plenty of issues and unanswered questions that leave us worried
https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/01/nintendo-switch-review/

The Guardian - 80
The Nintendo Switch is a brave and fascinating prospect. ... Whatever happens, Nintendo has once again done its idiosyncratic best to challenge the way we think about games hardware. Right now, it has the best launch game in at least a decade, and enough compelling possibilities on the horizon to warrant enthusiasm and hope.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/01/nintendo-switch-console-review

So as interesting as the Switch is as a piece of hardware design, you'll probably be fine taking a wait-and-see attitude for now. ...
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

Zelda is flat-out phenomenal, but otherwise, the Switch feels like an empty vessel, waiting for a deeper catalog of games and online features to take advantage of what is arguably Nintendo's most ambitious and risky effort to date
https://www.cnet.com/products/nintendo-switch/review/

Nintendo isn't afraid of thinking outside the box, but it feels like the company made major compromises for the Switch.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...witch-sizing-up-nintendos-newest-console.aspx

nintendo-switch.jpg

Retail Launch Titles

211345_packshot_lv5.jpg
217631_packshot_lv5.jpg
217396_packshot_lv5.jpg
225643_packshot_l_03.jpg
225654_packshot_lv3.jpg

E-Shop Launch Titles

Snipperclips $30
Fast RMX $27.99
Shovel Knight Spector of Torment $13
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove $32.50
Voez $27
ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters 98 $9.10
ACA NeoGeo Waku Waku 7 $9.10
ACA NeoGeo Shock Troopers $9.10
ACA NeoGeo World Heroes Perfect $9.10
ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug 3 $9.10
New Frontier Days Founding Pioneers $13
Othello $6.50
Vroom in the Night Sky $11.99
I Am Setsuna $59.95

Coming Soon

217626_packshot_lv5.jpg
225652_packshot_lv4.jpg
217632_packshot_lv4.jpg
217629_packshot_lv4.jpg

Mod Edit:
view the pre-launch thread at https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nintendo-switch-teaser-trailer-page-11.1090435/

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Meh. I live a happier life by ignoring critics. Nintendo can't get away with nuthin nowadays.

My hand hurts from holding the annoying handles of the EB bags for 25 minutes though.
Critics can be helpful but you gotta filter them a bit. Personally I'm ignoring the ones that compare it to the PS or Xbox based on power cause that's missing the point entirely. It's like comparing a hat hatchback to a 4wd based on their power, they're used for different things.

Can we get the title changed to match the PS4 and Xbox One threads?

Should be

Nintendo Switch News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)
Good call, done.

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can I just say I honestly hate how averse to criticism this board is... People get so emotionally invested into their purchase that they want to block out any and all negatives. You say something negative and you just get people jumping down your throat.
Well in this case it's a bit different because if we post anything positive you label us as fan boys, but if you post anything negative and we question it we're being unreasonable.

Was just in Big W, had about ten on the counter, all available, I certainly thought about it but just couldn't bring myself to purchase it for one game.

Oct 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, West Perth, All Blacks
Was just in Big W, had about ten on the counter, all available, I certainly thought about it but just couldn't bring myself to purchase it for one game.
I did the exact same thing, Big W was empty and there were plenty of systems behind the counter but I just can't justify it. If there was a Mario Kart, Super Mario, Smash etc. available now I'd be all over it.

I did the exact same thing, Big W was empty and there were plenty of systems behind the counter but I just can't justify it. If there was a Mario Kart, Super Mario, Smash etc. available now I'd be all over it.
I said to the missus that if Mario was a launch I'd have buckled.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hope it stays that way, might be able to pinch a cheaper Switch off failed flippers on ebay. $400 is my breaking point, thought I'd get enough if I sold my Wii U/games....curse the Wii U for being worthless now.

Brief thoughts

• UI a bit bland. Simple though.
  • Screen and sound in handheld mode are beautiful
  • Joy Con grip was nice, likely to get a Pro version down the line but not a necessity.
  • Setup was easy and a piece of piss.
  • No issues with connection dropping from Joy Con
  • The need to buy an extra USB-C cable is a pain and a bit cheap on Ninty's part, that should be standard, not just the AC adapter for hybrid console like this.

In summary, some of the reports from places like Kotaku were a bit off with their criticisms IMO, overall the issues that are known have been known for sometime. (not giving them a pass Quiv/Pants :) )

Basically, if you want Zelda (which is amazeballs) then sell your kids now. Otherwise hold off, as it definitely screams "we're giving you the barebones software required to play Zelda now rather than 3 months time when we actually have a library"

Love it, but can understand why people are holding off.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Picked up the console and breath of the wind. Made the most of the 50% off loot and bought a couple of coffee cups and a pikachu plush for the upcoming baby. Also people who decide to trade consoles etc on launch morning should be sent to the back of the line

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
So having opened the console but not tested playing yet, heres a view on the build quality itself.

The screen is small, i didnt realize just how small it was until i had it. its certainly legitemately portable, and i can see the idea of having 4 people splitscreening on 1 to be tough. However if theres just the two of you it should be ok, but you will need to be up close to get a good look. I feel like the criticisms of the stand are a bit unfounded. Ok its pretty small, but it doesnt feel to me like a cheap tack-on to the console. The screen will wobble a bit it you poke at it while its sitting up, but i was punching the table to see if it would fall over and it was fine. If you are going to be shifting the table around while this thing is standing up yes it will fall over but thats not really a real world scenario.

The joycons are honestly pretty good. they have a great feel to them, they certainly feel betetr made than any other controller from any system ive held. Design wise I think they will be perfectly fine to use for arcade style games. granted i dont have big hands, but theyre not small either. I did find it amusing how one reviewer stated that the controllers were both too small, but then they couldnt reach the plus buttons. Honestly the only problem is that you cant hold them without accidentally pressing the trigger side buttons, but i presume no game that uses the cons on their own will use these buttons. The joycons also slide on and off the screen very easily but they arent loose when on the system so thats reassuring.

The handle thingy is nice, and definitely turns the joycons into a pretty reasonable standard style controller. The joycons slide in and out nice and smoothly. You can reach all the buttons nice and easily and it feels pretty good in the hand. It has the same look and solid feel of the joycons, although its obviously made out of slightly lower spec materials. In all its like any game system controller, Its a slightly newly shaped controller that people just have to get used to using. Nothing outstanding, nothing terrible, just a controller shaped controller. Controller.

The strap things on the other hand feel pretty cheap and toyish. The top buttons are pretty loose and you can jiggle them about quite a bit, although i guess they need to be fairly loose to plug into the top buttons on the joycons. Still there is a very noticeable build quality difference between the joycons and the strap accessories, although they should be fine to use in the end. They are also quite hard to get off the joycons, i think because they are very tightly fitting. This will perhaps loosen up with some wear, but thats not a great thing to be relying upon.

The dock also feels a bit on the cheaper side. Perhaps this is just because it is a matt egshell style plastic compared to the slightly tacky metallic feel of the screen and joycons. Again though it looks fine and really just like a typical console type of plastic. The only complaint i really have is that the switch sits in it a little loosely, you can definitely jiggle it around a bit. Again though this shouldnt really be a problem, since when youre using it its just going to be sitting there not being touched. If youre going to sit there shaking the console and then complain it doesnt work then you need to figure out whats going wrong in your head.

If i were to hazard a guess from build quality alone, id say nintendo see this primarily as a portable.

Now to play some (1) games.

I'm buying it for the great exclusives down the track. Had the money and EB are doing a good trade in deal for a console that I have no fondness for. I do agree though that many won't be buying it just for Zelda at the moment.

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
I couldn't be arsed making a thread last night so i'll post some stuff up you may want to add to the OP Quivorir

nintendo-switch.jpg

Retail Launch Titles

211345_packshot_lv5.jpg
217631_packshot_lv5.jpg
217396_packshot_lv5.jpg
225643_packshot_l_03.jpg
225654_packshot_lv3.jpg

E-Shop Launch Titles

Snipperclips $30
Fast RMX $27.99
Shovel Knight Spector of Torment $13
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove $32.50