Game Day JLT 2 Saints v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

In January 2008, i spent a few weeks at Hawthorn. I remember Clarko saying that when the pre-season games started - that he didn't care about the scoreboard. It was all about implementing the work they put in over the off-season break. The following year, i was listening to Ross Lyon deliver the same speech to our boys at the same venue. Again different coach - but the same message. Didn't care about the win or loss - Just that we delivered on the work we put in over the summer.

Today was almost a carbon copy with the same message. It is always great to destroy Carlton. But whether it was Carlton, the Carlton women's team or the Carlton under 9's. It was the way we went about it that excited me. We chased both ways and out tackled a team that we also had more possession against. We were unselfish and we were bold. If we bring the same trademarks to the season proper - we will play finals. Not because we pumped an inexperienced Carlton side, but because we took the effort from quarter 1 against port and turned it into a more even performance today.Next week against Sydney - should see the round 1 team and possibilities and hopefully we bring the same mentality and intensity.

To be honest I'm sick of the Bont talk it doesn't bother me with the comparisons. We have what we have and we will keep fighting like we've always done. Dal when interviewing Richo pre game said "We" included in a question as if he was apart of the club at this time. It was touching. Was good to have Sandy Roberts and Dal.
Considering dal's been gone 3 years. It was touching

I think the weakness of our midfield is greatly over exaggerated. Think we have the players there now to at least break even with most teams. Lot of good young players in billings,Steele, acres and lukey D. Hopefully as they develop at least one of them becomes a true a grader. Hopefully trade/fa/draft another and will be a very thought team to play against.

The problem is if the club trades in another midfielder/forward we will have to much talent or potential talent playing for Sandy and depending on contracts date’s players might move to other clubs to get game time before we realized their full potential. It's a bit of a juggling match to get the players you need and not lose or trade away the ones you have to get another player. Saints have heaps of midfielders and 2 great rucks and some really good small forwards who are fighting for a positions in the 22. Be interesting to see who the clubs targets at the end of the year as previously mentioned they have a bit of fat in the salary cap to pursue a big name player.

I was wondering if anyone else picked up on the we comment from dal. He loves the club and I believe his sons will be saints fans if he has his way.

He offered to move to help us with our rebuild. If we had asked him to stay with roo and Joey, dal would have.

heard that dal santo leaving was an foreseen event due to watters bullshit. came up late

Unpopular opinion but Longer should be our first choice ruckman

Why?

Today's games was against a rookie ruckman, and a USA one at that.

Despite that he still only racked up 5 disposals and 1 mark. One mark in such a dominant team is a poor effort.
He did lay 6 tackles though.

Hickey wins a lot more of the ball, and importantly also uses it well. His handballs last season were very creative often handballing out of heavy traffic to gus in space.

At this stage I would still be playing Hickey.

Why?

Today's games was against a rookie ruckman, and a USA one at that.

Despite that he still only racked up 5 disposals and 1 mark. One mark in such a dominant team is a poor effort.
He did lay 6 tackles though.

Hickey wins a lot more of the ball, and importantly also uses it well. His handballs last season were very creative often handballing out of heavy traffic to gus in space.

At this stage I would still be playing Hickey.
Because his tackling is worth more to us then hickeys disposals

Ben Long is hard as a cat's head. Loved the way he went about it today in the half of footy he played.
Watched him specifically. The way he moves around the contest, to get into dangerous areas and the desire to get involved as evident by his tackling was excellent. He was so composed in his shot for goal.
It is only a half of footy but if that continues we have ourselves another little gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the top 8 during this pre-season, for what it's worth...

egFRrNl.png
Best defence in the league

What a nice day. Played golf, then came home and watched replays of the Test cricket, and us thrashing the Blues.

Agree with a few that is wasn't the result, but the way they went about it that was so impressive. Lots of game time, working on touch and structures. And some impressive performances.

Was interested in Long. That guy has some innate football skills and nous. He is a guy who would win you a game. He just goes to the right spots instinctively. And is a fierce tackler. Am really looking forward to his career.

Competition for spots is a great position to be in. We haven't been in that position for a long time!

What a nice day. Played golf, then came home and watched replays of the Test cricket, and us thrashing the Blues.

Agree with a few that is wasn't the result, but the way they went about it that was so impressive. Lots of game time, working on touch and structures. And some impressive performances.

Was interested in Long. That guy has some innate football skills and nous. He is a guy who would win you a game. He just goes to the right spots instinctively. And is a fierce tackler. Am really looking forward to his career.

Competition for spots is a great position to be in. We haven't been in that position for a long time!

The best depth ever in clubs history .

It means players have to perform each week , past reputation counts for nothing

Comments about who is better in each position meaningless all about performance on the day.

Eg we have 4 guys that can play 1st ruck no other team this year has that !

The only area I hope to see significant improvement is field kicking.

I was at the game. First thing, it was incredibly hot. The players did well to cope with that for a start. Carlton pressured in the first quarter and I thought that Brown, Webster and Bailey Rice played it really well. When the game fell apart it was McCartin and Wright who really stood out. Bruce was back to his arrogant best.
I don't understand the Acres knockers. His ability to find a player in space makes him a very special player. Some of his disposals are uncanny.
I also thought that big Billy really battled hard in the ruck.
What I really liked was our tackling pressure and the ability to force turnovers as well as some really slick ball movement down the ground. Considering that Armitage and Ross played only a small part it was great that we dominated around the ground.

I agree with what you said. The only thing that worries me is that Longer had to struggle to beat a guy on their rookie list. He Did beat him but I feel if he wants to be number one he has to do better.

Sent via HAL

I just sat down and watched the whole game so I thought I would make some points most of which have probably already been made but who cares.
Steele was very impressive, I think he will be in round one team.
Acres who only played a half , really shown with his disposal.
Bruce was just too good for any Carlton back man but also a few of his goals were due to turnovers from saints players up field.
Longer played well but most of the time he was up against a rookie
Carlisle and Brown look super strong and will really help our backline.
Sinclair and Lonnie blew a good chance to put their names forward, they tried hard but didn't stand out.
Wright will be in best 22 along with about 28 other players lol.
McCartin will be playing chf and Bruce closer to goal .
Membrey had a quiet game but he's still in round one side.
Going to be some very unlucky players who miss out in the early rounds especially.
Ben Long look the goods , a lot stronger than I thought , goes hard at it, but might struggle to get a game until we get some injuries .
Still think Hickey is our best ruckman but let's see how he goes next week but remember he will be up against much tougher opposition.
Webster got a lot of the ball but seem to have a lot of miskicks . Roberton and Joey and Savage and Dempster will probably push Webster out of side . I'm assuming Gilbert will be the reserve backman on the bench .
Dunstan must be played , he's played three good games in a row . Going to be hard to pick the side for round 1 etc .

Sent via HAL

I just sat down and watched the whole game so I thought I would make some points most of which have probably already been made but who cares.
Steele was very impressive, I think he will be in round one team.
Acres who only played a half , really shown with his disposal.
Bruce was just too good for any Carlton back man but also a few of his goals were due to turnovers from saints players up field.
Longer played well but most of the time he was up against a rookie
Carlisle and Brown look super strong and will really help our backline.
Sinclair and Lonnie blew a good chance to put their names forward, they tried hard but didn't stand out.
Wright will be in best 22 along with about 28 other players lol.
McCartin will be playing chf and Bruce closer to goal .
Membrey had a quiet game but he's still in round one side.
Going to be some very unlucky players who miss out in the early rounds especially.
Ben Long look the goods , a lot stronger than I thought , goes hard at it, but might struggle to get a game until we get some injuries .
Still think Hickey is our best ruckman but let's see how he goes next week but remember he will be up against much tougher opposition.
Webster got a lot of the ball but seem to have a lot of miskicks . Roberton and Joey and Savage and Dempster will probably push Webster out of side . I'm assuming Gilbert will be the reserve backman on the bench .
Dunstan must be played , he's played three good games in a row . Going to be hard to pick the side for round 1 etc .

Sent via HAL
Thoughts on Koby Stevens (especially from a supercoach perspective)?

Because his tackling is worth more to us then hickeys disposals

I think todays game showed why Longer cant be our first ruck and I'm sure we will see Hickey as our only ruckman in the next practice game. On the game today it seemed to me we had the Ross Lyon press when the ball was in our forward line but the difference is we had the Alan Richardson attacking flair when we had the ball. Our quick movement of the ball is making our lack of leg speed not look that important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back