Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The Jack Steven thread inspired this question.

Shuey is very highly rated amongst West coast fans, most would say he is our most dangerous mid ahead of Priddis and Mitchell (ahead of Gaff too but not comparable players). What do opposition supporters think?
Would he get into every side in the league and is he in the elite category?

Last edited:

Shuey is a quality player but for mine he falls just a tad short of A grade. I'd probably slot him in at A- personally. He definitely has periods where he is A grade but I don't believe that he plays at that level consistently.

People that have more generous definitions of A grade might slot him in. For instance if you think Top 50 player in the comp is A grade then yeah he's in. I wouldn't have him in the top 20 mids though.

now probably the eagles second best midfielder after sam mitchell. But he has that ability to not only win the ball, but can break lines and be damaging with it on the outside and there are only a handful of players that can do that and they're universally acknowledged stars: gray, treloar, martin, steven, dangerfield, shiel are about all i can think of that are elite both inside and out. if there is a knock on him compared to these guys it's consistency across a whole game but i think that would be splitting hairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now probably the eagles second best midfielder after sam mitchell. But he has that ability to not only win the ball, but can break lines and be damaging with it on the outside and there are only a handful of players that can do that and they're universally acknowledged stars: gray, treloar, martin, steven, dangerfield, shiel are about all i can think of that are elite both inside and out. if there is a knock on him compared to these guys it's consistency across a whole game but i think that would be splitting hairs.
The last 10 games of 2016 he really stood up and stamped his mark on games over 4 quarters, lets hope for west coasts sake it continues.

Most west coast supporters think he is an A grader, he is extremely damaging with his pace and elite dual sided skills, doesn't get enough 30 plus high possession games for non eagles supporters who don't watch him regularly and just look at stats for them to consider him A grade.

Funny if he got a few more cheap touches across the half back like some others he would stand out to the stat watchers more.

I think he qualifies, but has probably been helped a fair bit by Nic Nat and so the loss of him and addition of Mitchell will be interesting.

Needs to cut the knee dropping and head throwing from his game especially if the umpires officiate that correctly with the rule change.
I think the addition of Mitchell may actually help him more than Nic Nat, as he has been heavily tagged his whole career so now opposition coaches will have more of a headache deciding who to tag out of Mitchell, Shuey or Gaff cant tag them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back