Centrelink debt notices - Turnbull govt reaches new levels of arse clown-ness

Remove this Banner Ad

....and when (footy) journalists obtain private information using illegal sources, no one says a word or wants to hold an enquiry.
I'd suggest there's a bit of a difference between a footy journalist, and a minister of state releasing private information in order to discredit someone.

If true he should be bounced out of parliament and face and charges.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/politics-live-march-2/8315480

Politics Live: Human Services Minister referred to federal police over Centrelink disclosure
BY POLITICAL REPORTER STEPHANIE ANDERSON
Email Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

Labor MP Linda Burney has referred Human Services Minister Alan Tudge to the Australian Federal Police after confirmation his department gave a Centrelink client's personal information to a journalist.

Mr Tudge and his department claimed the disclosure was legal according to section 202 of the Social Security Act 1999 and section 162 of the A New Tax System Family Administration Act 1999.
So Andie Fox was found to have lied about her dealings with Centrelink and doesn't like it. Then Labor uses an aboriginal MP to put in a complaint as they know that the government only has a one seat majority in the lower house. Surprise, surprise.

So Andie Fox was found to have lied about her dealings with Centrelink and doesn't like it. Then Labor uses an aboriginal MP to put in a complaint as they know that the government only has a one seat majority in the lower house. Surprise, surprise.
Wow long stretch and really disappointed that you label a MP by her background. Shame on you, what is the relevance?

Would you say the German MP for Abetz or Cormann?

Wow long stretch and really disappointed that you label a MP by her background. Shame on you, what is the relevance?

I think he would prefer that over Tasmanian

We're you this outraged when she was elected and everyman and his dog were labelling her by her background?

We're you this outraged when she was elected and everyman and his dog were labelling her by her background?
Was she elected because of her background and celebrated for it or was she criticised for her background?
Anyway if it was in the Murdoch media didn't read it. Leave that to others who need to be told how to think.

Was she elected because of her background and celebrated for it or was she criticised for her background?
Anyway if it was in the Murdoch media didn't read it. Leave that to others who need to be told how to think.

You must live in a vaccuum if you think it was only in the, 'Murdoch' media. It was all over the media, print and tv, from Sky News to the ABC.

....and when (footy) journalists obtain private information using illegal sources, no one says a word or wants to hold an enquiry.
Usually the source hasn't been authorised by the government to release the private information to a journalist. Lets be clear the journalists aren't (usually) breaking any laws it is the sources that are doing the illegal activity.

As Sir Humphrey would say this was an Officially Official release which is bad news from Trudge as the moron forgot to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s. It may well have been legal for the department to release the information however they appear to have failed to do so in a legal way.

Seeing as it is unlikely for the department to release the information off their own bat they must have been ordered to by the minister.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another related Govt program is working real well

Remote work-for-the-dole participants hit with 55,000 fines in three months
By political reporter Dan Conifer

Nearly 55,000 fines were issued to remote work-for-the-dole participants in just three months, a Senate committee has heard.

The Community Development Programme (CDP) covers about 35,000 people, the vast majority of whom are Aboriginal.

Participants must work 25 hours a week to receive their unemployment benefits - up to three times longer than other unemployed people.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-03/fines-for-remote-work-for-the-dole-participants-cdp/8322122

How does the Privacy Act of 1988 sit with the release of the recent information by the Government?

Isn't there normally some statement on most forms relating to this act whether it be a Centrelink for or any other form that requires personal information.

I know when I enrolled students we stated something like, 'we adhere to the Privacy Act 1988', on the enrolment forms and we had to keep that information in a very secure location.

Wow, just been listening to the Senate hearing into this. Guess how much cash they have recovered? $24,000 and were pushed to get this answer as they kept on mentioning $300Mill but many of those are still in dispute.

I wonder how much it has cost them in terms of collection agencies and staff but more importantly the stress on a person who has proved that they do not owe anything or not as much as was first claimed.

Also they are now sending letters via registered mail.

Yep

Time to privatise Centrelink. There is no reason a government body should run administration, especially if they can't do it properly

Privatising CL is not the answer, will only be another bunch of self serving buffoons ******* up another former govt department.

Serco ring a bell? They are useless.

Besides, this pathetic excuse of a federal govt seems to * up everything they touch. Wish we had a real government who are elected to do a job and run the country for all Australians and not just their wealthy mates and donors.

Yep

Time to privatise Centrelink. There is no reason a government body should run administration, especially if they can't do it properly
One of the more ridiculous suggestions I've heard. Essential services should not be at the whim of private corporations and last time I checked, welfare was an essential service. Putting it in private hands would put us on track to join America in their own private dystopia.

One of the more ridiculous suggestions I've heard. Essential services should not be at the whim of private corporations and last time I checked, welfare was an essential service. Putting it in private hands would put us on track to join America in their own private dystopia.

You're confusing the important service of social security with administration.

Do you think all GPs should be govt agencies?

Evidencing you can separate important services and the administration of those services.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back