Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
This seems to be a topic which is entering many threads, so I thought it would be worth starting a thread.

Logue played 8 WAFL games (and one reserves) in which he averaged 14 disposals and almost 4 marks a game. This good for a young key position player.

He was drafted so high because he is an athlete. He completed a 15.1 beep test (equal top), top 10 in the repeat sprints and fourth in the vertical jump, and 1st in the running vertical jump. He is a remarkable athlete for a bloke 194cm and growing., and he is a work horse (rowing background) - 5th in the 3km - so he has a big tank too.

So many of us faithful were stoked with this selection, myself included.

Here are the questions :
Does he come straight in?
Do you drop him if he has a shocker? (simply say - you are not ready - but we thought we would give it a try).
Do you think the coaching staff have an idea of where he is at before putting him out there. AFL is so much faster than WAFL.

Is the fascination in needing to play him in the JLT just for curiosity to see a few things. Surely everyone understands that playing a midfielder or a small forward is much easier to find a spot for than a key position player, and easier for them to have an impact? I remember someone saying Taberner was easily beating him, which said to me he is not quite ready yet, as Taberner has shown great signs on occasion - but I could not say he is consistent at marking the footy in one on ones.

Last edited:

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
No/low expectations for the seniors. If he makes his AFL debut this year, great, I just hope he plays some consistent footy at Peel and learns a lot from MJ, Dawson and Ibbo while they're still at the club.

If he has a ball tearer this weekend, Ross has a tough decision to make. It'll 'only' be against Carlton in a preseason game; Geelong would be a much tougher opponent but he has so much more upside than his main competition for spots as rgauci mentioned in Sutcliffe, Ibbo and Croz.

If he plays round 1 and gets towelled up, put it down to a learning experience; if he has a blinder I think we'll see him develop rapidly. Playing third tall takes a bit of pressure off him in that he won't be directly accountable for the number of goals the oppositions KPF kicks (the blame will be on either the defensive unit, Dawson or Sus(b)an).

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Griffin Logue. Just saying.

Good start, thanks! Edited!
He's not a key position player. He's a 3rd tall back or 3rd tall forward with the potential to be a massive midfielder.

Currently we are playing Johnson / Ibbotson / Sutcliffe as the 3rd - 5th defenders. It's not massive competition.

I do not agree. I think he was recruited as a KPD. He is not going to play midfield, but he may play some ruck duties. He will not play forward, although I am sure he will kick some goals at times, as most key defenders do. I understand he has played midfield, but kids like him usually do if they have the endurance at States, and in reserves -. Pearce, Hamling, Dawson and Johnson are key defenders for us, as they play on key forwards. Johnson certainly goes intercept and 3rd man, because that is more important (release for his attacking qualities). Ibbo and Sutty are small defenders, and they block the hole with zone setups. There is competition - Collins did a great job last year, and then the half back flankers with Crozier, Spurr and even Sheridan - also Suban. Pearce is a big out. We have also played with Mundy and Hill off the back line.

Are you saying that is what you think he should play right now?

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
The best means of blooding youngsters is a perennial sporting conundrum and the collective wisdom over the decades is generally to do it via increasing time in an experienced side.
With Griffin's precocious physical attributes RTB could as easily just tell him to go tag.
Regardless of his aerobic excellence, the pace will blow him up.Hopefully that's the only injury.
I find it largely fanciful to mount the interwebz and second guess professional people at the top of their game regarding player development and selection decisions with the current regime.
Dockers supporters should adjust to the reality of a very professional organisation.
I'd say Ross will give him minutes under the strictures of recent press statements and the fella will be under the pump to perform above expectation.
My guess is the Boss has taken to him and wants to put him under his fast track wing.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it largely fanciful to mount the interwebz and second guess professional people at the top of their game regarding player development and selection decisions with the current regime.

As this is the whole point of bigfooty, why the hell are you here then? Apart from your obvious desire to piss people off for your own amusement

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
As this is the whole point of bigfooty, why the hell are you here then? Apart from your obvious desire to piss people off for your own amusement

You're just pissed off cos you're not rounded enough to fit in.
I think there are things on bigfooty that you fail to notice.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
No point holding him back. Ross loves playing conservative. It's clearly not working. Would be great to see him get a real go in the final jlt game.

If he struggles then work with him at wafl level until deemed ready. Otherwise unleash him at home against Geelong.

Both Suban and D Pearce will get a game before him and we all know how ordinary they are. Nothing achieved in going forward with them in the team. D Pearce was dreadful against Collingwood

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
The guy is always going to get a debut game. But if I had it my way regardless of ladder position and how many wins we get this season, We should at the bare minimum debut 4-5 players a year and let them play 2-5 games in their 1st season

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
No point holding him back. Ross loves playing conservative. It's clearly not working. Would be great to see him get a real go in the final jlt game.

If he struggles then work with him at wafl level until deemed ready. Otherwise unleash him at home against Geelong.

Both Suban and D Pearce will get a game before him and we all know how ordinary they are. Nothing achieved in going forward with them in the team. D Pearce was dreadful against Collingwood

How is Suban / D Pearce relevant to this conversation? Different player types playing and competing for different positions surely?

Whilst Logue may have good endurance, no one at this stage is suggesting he can play midfield; he has no real background in it, nor has been training in that position or would know the structures. Ultimately he seems to either be competing against KPD types or third tall types; which are positions for which knowledge of structures and defensive tactics is vital, which from training reports he doesn't seem to have yet.

You can't hold back someone who isn't even there yet - IMO Tall defenders (unlike mids) are rarely ready to go from junior ranks straight up. Even a one in every five years player like Weitering IMO was playing more as a third tall not directly as a KPF, in a team with not many options for that position. Within the rest of your metaphor, I see no point in "unleashing" a player who at this point shows "no signs of knowing where or how to chase."

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not a footballer , wasted a first round pick and time. The communication level between Ross and recruitment department need to be improve .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
How is Suban / D Pearce relevant to this conversation? Different player types playing and competing for different positions surely?

Whilst Logue may have good endurance, no one at this stage is suggesting he can play midfield; he has no real background in it, nor has been training in that position or would know the structures. Ultimately he seems to either be competing against KPD types or third tall types; which are positions for which knowledge of structures and defensive tactics is vital, which from training reports he doesn't seem to have yet.

You can't hold back someone who isn't even there yet - IMO Tall defenders (unlike mids) are rarely ready to go from junior ranks straight up. Even a one in every five years player like Weitering IMO was playing more as a third tall not directly as a KPF, in a team with not many options for that position. Within the rest of your metaphor, I see no point in "unleashing" a player who at this point shows "no signs of knowing where or how to chase."
What could a bloke with a 15 beep test possibly do during a match that would result in less output than Suban?

What could a bloke with a 15 beep test possibly do during a match that would result in less output than Suban?
He could run to the wrong places and have to correct, winding up chasing arse all day and never impact the contest. His man would be loose all day

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Id play him every game this year. We've obviously drafted him high with the intention of him playing third tall and transitioning into the midfield (otherwise it's a wasted pick imo).

He's not going to be significantly worse than Ibbo/Sutcliffe so why not give him the year to develop considering we probably aren't challenging for much this year.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS

Suban has been left out of the last 2 JLT. He got a chance in the Eagles game due to strong training form. He hasn't had a chance since. I remember Ross saying that selection integrity is back. So no gifting games. Personally I didn't think that extended to JLT, but obviously it does. It was the player feedback that lead to that change. So I think the players know who should be selected, this must reflect our best performers.

wafti123

Senior List
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess the one way to gain experiene is to spend more hours doing the thing you want to become good at than everyone else. Then postining etc will become more natural.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not expecting him to play too many games in the early rounds but would like to see him given opportunities if earned throughout the year. I certainly expected him to be involved in the JLT though.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Suban has been left out of the last 2 JLT. He got a chance in the Eagles game due to strong training form. He hasn't had a chance since. I remember Ross saying that selection integrity is back. So no gifting games. Personally I didn't think that extended to JLT, but obviously it does. It was the player feedback that lead to that change. So I think the players know who should be selected, this must reflect our best performers.

I don't remember Lyon saying selection integrity is back. But if so, great!

The issue that Freo players had with selection integrity last year wasn't Suban getting a game ahead of youngsters though, it was the youngsters getting gifted games ahead of the likes of Barlow and de Boer ( who showed outstanding form for Peel). So Lyon is more likely to play Ibbotson ahead of Logue if he did say that.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Please explain the selection of Dawson over Collins in all 3 JLT games then.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The last year we finished so low was 2009, the next year Morabito, Fyfe, Barlow and Adam McPhee, Silvagni, Broughton, added to the
list.
Two top twenty picks, four mature agers.
It appears Ross has acknowledged our dire situation with ruck depth with Darcy, just need to add our first rounder sooner rather than later.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Please explain the selection of Dawson over Collins in all 3 JLT games then.

It's pretty easy really, we are trying a defensive method like the Bulldogs where the defenders stand in front of their forwards, so we entice the opposing midfield to try and kick over the top. Once your pressure is up, the midfield will often under kick directly to the opposition.

We were trying it last year, Collins showed no ability to take front spot. I remember Jack Watts carving him up in a quarter, from that point forth he went back to defending from behind. Now I'm not saying Dawson is much better, he's a very limited defender. But if eneryone is defending from in front, taking away space, you can't have 1 guy in the team incapable of doing it. If Collins shows form at Peel taking the front spot, he'll quickly replace Dawson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back