Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think we'll see a decent farewell for Subiaco?

It's been a ground that's hosted top tier footy since the early 20th century, right? It's basically been Perth's premiere stadia from the 20s or 30s hasn't it? I'd like to see them arc it up and celebrate it. I know it's not as beautiful as Highbury or as connected to a single club as it was for sides like West Ham. But I feel AAMI Stadium didn't cop much hoorah except for Port in the Prison Bars for the final game.

I'd like to see both sides possibly ham it up, maybe have themed match days as Arsenal did in 2005-06. Something like you know, 'Indigenous Stars week,' 'Rivalry round,' 'Goalkickers game,' stuff like that.

I see the Eagles getting the final game here but the more likely it looks of the Ashes being on as the new ground finishes, and the cricket opening that up, I would love to see a derby as the final scheduled match. Would look cool if they handed out purple and white and blue and white shirts for it too.

Does anybody know why the Eagles cheer squad is put at the other end of the ground for finals?? Always right of screen in H&A games, but its been to the left for finals the last few years.

Any logical explanation or just another AFL bungle?

I was wondering the same thing. Our cheersquad has never moved for finals.

Would be interesting to see who gets the last ever home-and-away match. West Coast will definitely get it, IMO. Can't believe that after tonight's game, it's less then 365 days before the last game of AFL is played at the ground.

would make sense for it to be the derby, but the sides don't want to play it on the last round of the season

possibly West Coast v Richmond, the first VFL/AFL game at the ground in 87 ?

would make sense for it to be the derby, but the sides don't want to play it on the last round of the season

They should celebrate the greatest team that ever played there.

0 AFL teams run out, only the umpires. 40,000 packed in to Subi cheering their heroes on. Bouncing the ball, throwing it, waving flags, catching marks, everything

The wafl GF, build it up and try break an attendance record

Does anybody know why the Eagles cheer squad is put at the other end of the ground for finals?? Always right of screen in H&A games, but its been to the left for finals the last few years.

Any logical explanation or just another AFL bungle?

Same happens at the MCG too. The home team (except Collingwood) is at the Punt Rd end for the minor round, but for finals they're at the City end (except Richmond)

Both sides might not care next year if things pan out like they have been going. I could easily see West Coast missing next year too without Nic Nat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed there's a whole bay of seats ripped out at Domain Stadium during the AFLW match this evening.

They're not already starting the decommission are they!

Saw that. Leftover from the Adele gig?

Actually the playing surface looks to have really suffered

Etihads next week no doubt it will be a potato field after

Last edited:
I understand them getting rid of the extra seats near the little entrances to aisles, for better views and less 'bad' seats (lol this is Subi) but ripping out a full bay? And making the aisles bigger? It looks really, really weird. No surprise that they've stopped with even the absolute basic maintenance they'd been doing for the last few years but they're almost actively making it even shitter. What's the bet it ends up looking like a third world venue by the time of the last game? And what's the chances it sits in a terrible state for years with nothing done to it?

I understand them getting rid of the extra seats near the little entrances to aisles, for better views and less 'bad' seats (lol this is Subi) but ripping out a full bay? And making the aisles bigger? It looks really, really weird. No surprise that they've stopped with even the absolute basic maintenance they'd been doing for the last few years but they're almost actively making it even shitter. What's the bet it ends up looking like a third world venue by the time of the last game? And what's the chances it sits in a terrible state for years with nothing done to it?

Like waverley - all the jokes about itbeing in a rain belt when they stopped watering the oval looked like the back of bourke - winter and summer

Who cares?

One more year.

looks like it is going to be used for a new high school.

I note on the plans there is an area marked as possible new WAFC HQ - which is odd because I understood they were moving to the WACA?

GMU136DJS.1-1.jpg

https://thewest.com.au/news/educati...-fight-against-high-rise-school-ng-b88505299z

Looks like all that cheap housing on the rail line will go too?

Looks okay really. The final game should be a WAFL GF (likely to be Subi v Bulldogs on current form) and really promote it but the WAFL won't. They'll try and put together some Dockers v Eagles legends game or something as the final game in October and promote that instead. Useless. *******. campaigners.

looks like it is going to be used for a new high school.

I note on the plans there is an area marked as possible new WAFC HQ - which is odd because I understood they were moving to the WACA?

GMU136DJS.1-1.jpg

https://thewest.com.au/news/educati...-fight-against-high-rise-school-ng-b88505299z
That's a great smart idea actually.. train stations with Subi and West Leederville short walks away. Maintain heritage whilst keeping the community involved. It is a very attractive piece of land, that close to the CBD

Looks like all that cheap housing on the rail line will go too?

Looks okay really. The final game should be a WAFL GF (likely to be Subi v Bulldogs on current form) and really promote it but the WAFL won't. They'll try and put together some Dockers v Eagles legends game or something as the final game in October and promote that instead. Useless. *******. campaigners.
Cmon we all know on current form it would be Subi v wp GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back