Game Day Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
McCarthy shows how much of a difference having a natural forward with goal sense makes to your scoring.

There's nothing particularly amazing about McCarthy physically. He just knows exactly where to go and what to do. You can't teach that.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We lost Contested, Clearances and Tackles
Not the defining stats pre-season though, are they.

I was more interested in seeing how we're going to look on the field, game plan wise.
That was... well, definitely not Freo circa 2013-2015.

A very open game, probably not indicative of how hard we're going to go in a few weeks.
Skills wise, I was a little underwhelmed. That needs to be turned around sharpish.

Stephen Hill undersung as per usual, can't say enough good things about Stephen Hill. Brad shaping up to be even better at Freo than he was at Hawthorn (given enough room). Hill-Hill-Walters was poetry.

Daniel Pearce keeping a seat warm for Bennell, which is unfortunate because I still think D Pearce just needed a couple of replay-worthy goals to get him good again. He tries too hard to do tricky things and suffers for it.

Alex Pearce sorely missed, Dawson's time is done... but we'll need him as long as we need him.

Mundy showed signs of being 2015 Mundy. Nothing wrong with that.
Johnson showed his experience and poise, nothing spectacular, just good solid defence and rebound to those who should be able to follow it through.

The much-maligned Ibbo keeps taking marks to stop attacks. There's something of value in that, but he doesn't think quickly enough to be a good rebound defender. I'm thinking Collins is the longer term plan there.

Cam McCarthy showed exactly why we needed him. Pav and Cam passing each other in the turnstiles was one of those things making me ask "what if..."

I like the look of (Sean) Darcy. Got my eye on Tucker as well, didn't do much in this game which was a little disappointing. Weller underwhelming. Blakely trying something new.

Logue in the right places when he was supposed to be - good signs. Looked a little stage struck at times but he wasn't out of position on too many occasions. Freo team looking for him on the switch play even when they didn't really need to made me a little gooey inside.

I'm not sold on Kersten. I really don't think we needed two Tabs. I actually think our Tab is better, but the jury s out on that at this point. Depth is always handy though, which is something Freo supporters are well acquainted with.

Walters was Walters but not quite last years' Walters (yet).
Ballantyne still deserves a game every week.He only needs to keep doing what he does, and if the rest of the team performs to expectation, mark him down for 30-40 goals this year. And don't miss the pressure acts he pulls off time and time again which go unnoticed and sometimes even maligned.

Fyfe is building. Watch that space, the guy is getting exasperated waiting for everyone else to catch up.
A good Captain to have.

I'm getting drunk again, forgive (or dismiss) me if I missed anything. That includes the entire bloody target. Which I often do.

Ballas is still relevant. You watch the little man.
When we perform, he will.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
38 disposals? Cash me ousside, how 'bout Nat?

Sorry...
You bloody well should be.
16 year old Yank girls inventing words is neither new, nor really very interesting.
Jesus friggin' christ, if I wasn't well above 16 I could invent a hundred new words in a day that kind of had rhyme and smack value, and all I'd need is a bit of media attention for being a rebel and I'd be a millionaire.

What the * is good about that?
Apart from me being a millionaire, of course, That would be... nice.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing with Ballantyne that I've liked is that when he gets the ball he's been trying to move it on in an attacking positive and fast way...

Shame he won't be there for 6-12 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really ???? that long?

mad4freo

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon so.

He went down and grabbed high in his hammy...that's usually the bad area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they said on tv that unless its a hamstring tendon injury its probably just a bad strain which is 4-6 weeks. If its 6-12 ill be devostated

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
hope they proved you wrong?
Still very much a work in progress but I was pretty happy, particularly with Griff. That said, I'm gonna still be a bit of a wet blanket and say we need to see how we go on a night where McCarthy doesn't kick 6 and we're not enjoying midfield domination. I just hope over the course of the year are able to find something resembling an ideal forward setup. I'm bullish on the number of potential options we have so there's that. Yarran would have been so ******* useful though

Should clarify that I'm happy enough with how the forwards worked as a unit, delivery method not so flash

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Still very much a work in progress but I was pretty happy, particularly with Griff. That said, I'm gonna still be a bit of a wet blanket and say we need to see how we go on a night where McCarthy doesn't kick 6 and we're not enjoying midfield domination. I just hope over the course of the year are able to find something resembling an ideal forward setup. I'm bullish on the number of potential options we have so there's that. Yarran would have been so ******* useful though

Should clarify that I'm happy enough with how the forwards worked as a unit, delivery method not so flash

Yarran, Bennell and Ballantyne wouldve been nice for round 1/season.

I must admit dont like to say it on your board but from a general view i struggle to see Fremantle scoring still although you played attacking footy against the blues. I was disappointed albeit preseason games against WCE and Collingwood, even against Blues who were thumped the previous 2 games and your playing them home.

Your midfield is amazing, forward line has potential and backline is okay. A.Pearce would help aswell. Im expecting a similar finish to my mob from about 10th-16th as a range as its so tight can easily go each way.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle

I must admit dont like to say it on your board but from a general view i struggle to see Fremantle scoring still although you played attacking footy against the blues. I was disappointed albeit preseason games against WCE and Collingwood, even against Blues who were thumped the previous 2 games and your playing them home.

Your midfield is amazing, forward line has potential and backline is okay. A.Pearce would help aswell. Im expecting a similar finish to my mob from about 10th-16th as a range as its so tight can easily go each way.

I agree with your comments. Teams rarely field their best 22 on a regular basis and it often comes down to the fringe players coming in.

Freo are a developing team at the early stages of a rebuild so I'd be happy with 10th place as long as Freo continue on an upward curve.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

I have said it before and I will say it again. Freo will average 11 goals a game this season. But they will be a 4 goal better side at home than away. We are going to average 13 goals at home and 9 goals away. were going to have games where we will kick 5-7 goals against the likes of Swans and cats away then kick 11-14 goals against the likes of Richmond and North away as well.

I have always said freo can finish anywhere between 5th to 14th. 6-10 wins is realistic

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

what teams with an amazing midfield have finished 16th? Unless you're actually tipping a run of injuries that is. And any team with a run of injuries can finish 16th.

I think our range is 6-12. There is more upside than downside available to us.

Back