Autopsy Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought as a team that was pretty horrible. A step back from last week in terms of ball movement and whole of team effort. Usual suspects got it done and Cam kicking 6 was nice but I hope we were just tired or told not to go full throttle.

+ Watch out for Hill on the inside. Reminds me of Pendlebury when he plays in their.
+ Ibbo, Griffin and Pearce looked good, they all deserve round one spots from their great pre-seasons. Sheridan/Croz could learn from these two.
+ Kersten is a good contested mark, which will help us
+ Blakely played a good game as a high half forward
+ Langdon tries his heart out and i loved his run down tackle

Positives:
- I thought our usual whipping boys D Pearce and Ibbo were tidy tonight
- Intent to move the ball fast and through the middle were good but the execution was a poor at times
- Sunshine
- the midfield looked fantastic tonight
- Sandi, Griffin and Darcy

Needs Work:
- Johnno doing his usual clanger/turnover to goal per game
- Walters' finishing
- Weller and Tucker
- Logue's game awareness. Great goal though
- our delivery into the forward line

Captain fantastic alias Fyfe ... what can you say?
Mundy ran out of steam which sums up his fitness through the pre-season. Otherwise brilliant
Brad Hill was great until legged - then had little influence
When was the last time Walters missed so many close in shots? And it's not just this week.
Our draft selections need time. None will play R1
I do recall Freo being criticised for taking S Hill in the draft at No 3. Super star.
We traded well
Sandy dominated Kruzer. Did he go off with an injury?
Let's be honest, our skills let us down time and time again.
We have to persevere with keeping the ball moving. If we try and play kick and mark play we invariably wind up conceding ground and then turning the ball over. When we ran the ball we often looked good. Would you believe most of the time... more often that not?
Beats the crap out of losing!

For all those poo-pooing of Blakely forward, he had 9 score involvements. Also i doubt it's permanent, Ross just trying to get him to add a string to his bow

He missed a pretty easy goal in the first half though. Our best set shots are Sunshine, Son son, and griff.

Positives
- Langdon and B.Hill on the wings could be a lock for the next 8 years
- McCarthy showed what a natural forward looks like
- Griffin continuing his pre-season form
- Neale, Hill and Fyfe (in particular) destroyed Cartlon in 3rd gear
- Genuinely happy with what Darcy showed, naturally gifted tap ruckmen (needs to work on his tank obviously) who I'm confident will be a very good player for us.

Negatives
- Ballas injury
- Some horrific turnovers against a terrible side. Against any side that can actually hit an open target we would have been crucified
- Dawson playing over Collins
- We really need Taberner or Apeness to come on. Given McCarthy was up against WAFL level players with Weitering up front, he showed how good he is as the 3rd forward. Griffin was good as the big body up front but who knows how long it will last and how many games he has in him. I would give my left nut to draft a gun KPF in next/this years draft.

While I struggle to call it a negative or postive, Logue pretty much showed exactly what Ross said. Some horrific turnovers (two lead to goals) under no pressure show the football nous just isnt there yet, but he is clearly a natural athlete (that 60m kick off one step). Will take time.

Logue will be a star.. in 3-4 years time he will hit his straps. For people saying we should have belted them by more, we were clearly setting up aggressively. We should have had 4-5 more goals had Walters hit his three, Blakely his one and a few better entries. We'll always leak a few goals that way. Seemed like other than 1 5 minute period that we didn't get out of first gear. Ballas hammy a massive downside but I think we have a few small forward options now - will miss his implied fwd pressure though and that might upset the structure a bit.

He missed a pretty easy goal in the first half though. Our best set shots are Sunshine, Son son, and griff.
And Sandilands. I'll never understand why he gives it off so often inside 50.
I really hate those "yeah, whatever you take it" handballs.

Remove Logue and Darcy. Swap Crozier for Ballantyne and I think that's our round 1 team.

Spurr Dawson Hamling
Ibbotson Johnson Weller
S.Hill Fyfe D.Pearce
Crozier Kersten B.Hill
Walters Griffin McCarthy
Sandilands Mundy Neale

Int: Tucker, Sutcliffe, Blakeley, Langdon

It's not too bad. Wouldn't mind A.Pearce, H.Bennell, Ballantyne, Apeness by year's end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Sutcliffe. Heard he went off injured with an ankle. I started watching from half time so didn't see what happened. Is it not that bad or is everyone just forgetting him because Ballantyne got injured as well?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

100+
Midfield looked great, hope all stay fit all year.
Forward line starting to gel
I know he had some clangers but Johnno starting to hit form
Langdon becoming a player

Have to hope there is another gear we can go to, otherwise we're going to get spanked in the first few games. But I'm optimistic, as from the sidelines it looked like they were sort of trying, but not really going as hard as possible. Which is exactly how they should have been playing. Fyfe seemed in cruise control.

One thing I find strange is reading some comments in the two threads about Tucker being a bit disappointing. I thought he looked good and was very involved in the action. I can see Tucker playing every week.

Logue was a bit out of his depth, and often lost his man too easily. Opening game nerves, you could tell his mind was in overdrive. Needs time.

For Round 1, you'd think it would be Ballas, Darcy and Logue out from today's 24. Leaves 1 to come in, assuming Sutcliffe will be picked. Seems it would be out of Sheridan, Crozier and Suban. I'd pick Crozier.

... New AFL App is horrible.
It's horrendous, so much worse than the old version.

Will watch again later but intial thoughts.

- A step backwards after last week.
- Chopped up on the counter, only Carlton's ineptitude at kicking inside 50 saved us.
- Geez Johnson is a worry. So so rusty.
- Didn't think our backline worked very well tonight.
-Struggled to either lock down or rebound well.
- Weller and Tucker fairly ordinary tonight.
- For Weller to work down back we need to be getting the ball into his hands. Watch GWS's backline, they always look to dish it off to Shaw.
- If Tabs had played 2 games on the trot like Kersten's we'd be screaming for blood. Kersten is too similar to McCarthy for me. At least Tabs offers a point of difference.
- Midfield looked bloody good and it didn't look like any of them got out of 2nd gear.
- Cam Mac is a beautiful kick and a smart forward.
- Jon Griffin is looking really good. Strong mark and another beautiful kicker.
- How good does young Darcy look! Really excited to see him develop a harden body and a bigger tank. Beast.

I'm not sure why everyone is so negative about the game, felt like we went coast to coast quite a lot but just couldn't convert. Even with the clangers we still scored over 100. Carlton tried hard as well, we just went around them.

Our midfield is looking the goods which is a stark contrast to last year.

And while Ballantynes pressure will be missed, Crozier is not a bad pressure player and his marking will be a plus.

Would love Alex Pearce and Bennell in the side though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to hope there is another gear we can go to, otherwise we're going to get spanked in the first few games. But I'm optimistic, as from the sidelines it looked like they were sort of trying, but not really going as hard as possible. Which is exactly how they should have been playing. Fyfe seemed in cruise control.

One thing I find strange is reading some comments in the two threads about Tucker being a bit disappointing. I thought he looked good and was very involved in the action. I can see Tucker playing every week.

Logue was a bit out of his depth, and often lost his man too easily. Opening game nerves, you could tell his mind was in overdrive. Needs time.

For Round 1, you'd think it would be Ballas, Darcy and Logue out from today's 24. Leaves 1 to come in, assuming Sutcliffe will be picked. Seems it would be out of Sheridan, Crozier and Suban. I'd pick Crozier.
I'm not sure if it was direction from the coaches to preserve themselves, if it was the result of three games in hot weather or whether it was same old same old but towards the end of the third and fourth quarters it seemed nobody was running to be an option or create space to release a kick from the backline, which resulted in us kicking sideways or backwards and increasing the pressure on ourselves.

dunno about that. I'd rather Griff kicking for my life than sandi!
Yeah but Griff isn't a Freo "mainstay".

I'm actually a Griff supporter - I think he's filled needs in a way not many give him credit for.
I'd take him in a side sans Sandilands before I'd take Clarke (and here I'm not allowing for potential Clarke injury issues), but it's easy to lose sight of those who simply deliver day in and day out in order to pay lip service to maybe's.

Sandilands is a very underrated ruckman in spite of being rated. And he can kick straight when he needs to. Stats don't lie, but they can be bent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back