Autopsy Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are disgustingly s**t.

We weren't much better.
Hopefully it's a tiredness thing because our method is hopeless.

So few good passages of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've realsed more than ever, that there's simply no substitute for raw talent. Look at Jarred Pickett. Bennell will add the polish that we need, and bring other players into the game.

Agreed. Kept putting him under unnecessary pressure with a kick or handball that was too short- but by golly he can do some damage when he gets hold of it.

Some great individual performances & a few bloopers but overall we're progressing well week after week.

Lot's of hand balling & quick movement of the ball which can be very high risk / reward & we got found out a few times. When things settles I'm genuinely excited about what this group can do.
Every time the ball gets into his hands now I'm already assuming it's going to turn into a solid goal scoring opportunity... The opposite of what I felt when D Pearce got the ball in previous years.

Recruit of the off season......
For Mayne.....:eek::D:cool:

Pls, pls, pls come good Bennell.

BHill, SHill, Walters, Bennell, Mundy, Weller, Crozier, Tucker - all good to excellent kicks of the ball.

Agree whole heartedly. We just have no drive off half back. Really don't understand drafting the VFLs best at this, as a mature ager, and then not bringing him straight through. He's our Laird/Shaw/Docherty/Simpson/Enright/JJ in the making and yet we contrive reasons not to give him a real crack.

So painful still watching those three trying to initiate from deep - they have no clue and yet we're expecting different results. The very definition of idiocy.
Don't worry Luke Ryan will be making his case pretty early for Peel, as might Hughes. And hopefully we'll eventually remember Crozier is good at half back as well. I can't see us winning too many games against half decent teams unless Sutty and Weller are playing well off half back and Ibbo is intercepting and moving the ball on quickly. If they aren't and we are losing there should be no reason not to try some of those other guys out.

Crozier will get his chance at half-forward will Ballantyne injured. He looked lovely against Collingwood in the 2nd half with Kersten off. The backline will be Dawson, Hamling, Johnson, Ibbotson, Spurr, Weller. I hope they gel.

I've realsed more than ever, that there's simply no substitute for raw talent. Look at Jarred Pickett. Bennell will add the polish that we need, and bring other players into the game.

We now need Ross to realise it. I think he's getting there with allowing DeBoer and Mz to be moved on and he seems to have lost patience with Shero and Suban, but he's hanging on to old mate Dawson like grim death.

Crozier will get his chance at half-forward will Ballantyne injured. He looked lovely against Collingwood in the 2nd half with Kersten off. The backline will be Dawson, Hamling, Johnson, Ibbotson, Spurr, Weller. I hope they gel.

Gelling is only one thing. Class is another. Intelligence is another. Quick thinking is another.

Currently I rate our midfield an A-. Our backline a C and our forward line a C.

If Bennell is fit and firing the midfield goes to an A+ and the forward line goes to a B+. He's that good and that important to our success.

Gelling is only one thing. Class is another. Intelligence is another. Quick thinking is another.

If those 6 don't gel.

Ryan Collins Nyhuis
Hughes Uebergang Logue

Is a pretty impressive back up group. By the end of the year I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 of those 'backups' crack first 22.

Do you guys think that Deluca or Grey will get a game with Ballas injured?

They would probably do a better job in that pressure forward role then Croz.

I was wondering about this, because losing Balla is more than a small forward worth 1-2 goals per game. You lose defensive pressure in the forward half (admittedly his output has diminished on this front since 2014) and you lose a fairly solid high half forward contributor (like it or not he is an excellent field kick and a fairly reliable decision maker). So I think using that criteria it has to be Deluca. Grey strikes me as more of a small mid/defender who is less dangerous around goals.

Currently I rate our midfield an A-. Our backline a C and our forward line a C.

If Bennell is fit and firing the midfield goes to an A+ and the forward line goes to a B+. He's that good and that important to our success.
Add Pierce to the backline and it goes to a B

Agree whole heartedly. We just have no drive off half back. Really don't understand drafting the VFLs best at this, as a mature ager, and then not bringing him straight through. He's our Laird/Shaw/Docherty/Simpson/Enright/JJ in the making and yet we contrive reasons not to give him a real crack.

So painful still watching those three trying to initiate from deep - they have no clue and yet we're expecting different results. The very definition of idiocy.

Seems like we either have pure defenders with no skills then silky players who dont usually play defense. We need both attributes in our defenders.

For what it's worth I'm excited about logue; I cant wait to see him beating his man then launching a 60m torp finding billy in space at the forward 50 mark ...

We now need Ross to realise it. I think he's getting there with allowing DeBoer and Mz to be moved on and he seems to have lost patience with Shero and Suban, but he's hanging on to old mate Dawson like grim death.
Completely agree. For the first time ever I've doubted his approach, and team selection. We desperately need a Jason Johansson type runner. We have absolutely no drive from the back line. I'm not sure how u can play Dawson and hamling in the same team..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree about it being time for Zac to go... especially now with Hamling. I know they were at the saints together but what is the actual go with Zac and Ross...

I'm usually very easy going and patient but if Zac is still playing when AP comes back I will be ropeable.

Completely agree. For the first time ever I've doubted his approach, and team selection. We desperately need a Jason Johansson type runner. We have absolutely no drive from the back line. I'm not sure how u can play Dawson and hamling in the same team..

You realize Johannisen himself is out of contract at year's end. Not to mention Marcus Adams.

I think they,re in the mix but not being on the main list counts against them. I think Croz, Shero or Suban are better placed to come into the 22 for round 1.

Ross mentioned Grey in his press conference from memory. Also mentioned Sheridan, Crozier and Suban (please no). I'd go Crozier but we're going to need more goals from the midfield in the early rounds.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross mentioned Grey in his press conference from memory. Also mentioned Sheridan, Crozier and Suban (please no). I'd go Crozier but we're going to need more goals from the midfield in the early rounds.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't think ross is serious about grey, as he is still on rookie list.

Don't think ross is serious about grey, as he is still on rookie list.

He'd frustrate a lot of people with his kicking IMO. May better off with Crozier or another mid (probably Sheridan).

Not drafting another small forward (or even mid that'll start forward) could hurt us in the short term. Yarran and his troubles really is such a shame.

Have to hope there is another gear we can go to, otherwise we're going to get spanked in the first few games. But I'm optimistic, as from the sidelines it looked like they were sort of trying, but not really going as hard as possible. Which is exactly how they should have been playing. Fyfe seemed in cruise control.

One thing I find strange is reading some comments in the two threads about Tucker being a bit disappointing. I thought he looked good and was very involved in the action. I can see Tucker playing every week.

Logue was a bit out of his depth, and often lost his man too easily. Opening game nerves, you could tell his mind was in overdrive. Needs time.

For Round 1, you'd think it would be Ballas, Darcy and Logue out from today's 24. Leaves 1 to come in, assuming Sutcliffe will be picked. Seems it would be out of Sheridan, Crozier and Suban. I'd pick Crozier.
I completely agree, i was very suprised to see the negatives about tucker, during the game i was quite impressed with his run and skills, in particular a bullet pass he kicked right onto the chest of one of our players out of the midfield.

The kids only played 12 games, and in his first year too! Everyone needs to be patient because you dont become a great afl player over night.

Overall very pleased with how weller, tucker, blakely, and langdon are tracking, they are all becoming good afl players.

For all of Ibbotson desicion making weaknesses, if he can get back to that AA form he had a few years ago he would definetly be a massive plus to the backline. Even a slow pass after an intercept mark is huge. Intercept marking instead of spoiling is such an underrated part of the game imo. Saying that I agree with most posters about it being unlikely he hits that form again.

I'm starting to get worried about our forwadline now. Yarran, Bennel and Ballantyne all out from the starting 6. I really rate Blakely, but to think we have gone from the class of Yarran to having a bullooking inside mid play forward is quite sad.

He'd frustrate a lot of people with his kicking IMO. May better off with Crozier or another mid (probably Sheridan).

Not drafting another small forward (or even mid that'll start forward) could hurt us in the short term. Yarran and his troubles really is such a shame.
Brady's kicking is now approaching elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back