Game Day Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

what teams with an amazing midfield have finished 16th? Unless you're actually tipping a run of injuries that is. And any team with a run of injuries can finish 16th.

I think our range is 6-12. There is more upside than downside available to us.

You have a good top end but lack a little in depth and book ends arent there. Richmond and collingwood were poor last year.

16th is just one or two games away from 11th potentially

Still very much a work in progress but I was pretty happy, particularly with Griff. That said, I'm gonna still be a bit of a wet blanket and say we need to see how we go on a night where McCarthy doesn't kick 6 and we're not enjoying midfield domination. I just hope over the course of the year are able to find something resembling an ideal forward setup. I'm bullish on the number of potential options we have so there's that. Yarran would have been so ******* useful though

Should clarify that I'm happy enough with how the forwards worked as a unit, delivery method not so flash
And if Kennedy has a down night and Priddis (and now Mitchell), Shuey and Gaff don't rack up their 30+ possessions, would they win either? No. That's how they win and why they are expected to be around the top 4 according to most on the Main Board. LeCras, Hill, Shadow warrior Darling are downhill skiers, and Masten, Sheppard, and goodpork wouldn't be stepping up to the plate to fill the need.

Go outside and dry your blanket off. It's nice and warm with a bit of a breeze. Sure it wasn't perfect but we're gaining momentum and with momentum comes confidence in themselves, skills returning particularly under pressure, confidence in their teammates, and a strategy and belief that they can win. The difference is this time (compared to circa 2013), our players will be even more talented (Pav and Elvis aside) which means plenty of upside.

The last season and a half have been fairly uninspiring.
Anything better than that crap would be a bonus this year.

We were very much a straight line team. Win clearance, bang forward 40 metres. create stoppage. Rinse repeat. The last 18 months we couldn't create the stoppage and couldn't win the clearance.

Watching us play this preseason, we've evolved. We are using the wings more and linking up by hand a lot more. It will come unstuck a lot, but we need to persist. The best teams have multiple links of possessions. We are getting there.

I think I can see what they are trying to get the guys to do, it just seems we have too many players who either aren't capable or haven't yet developed the skills and understanding.

The really good teams now are using handball as both an attacking and defensive weapon - to get the ball out of congestion and allow outside runners to break up defenses.

Our guys did that on occasions last night and when they did the results were fast transitions and often scores (apart from when we fluffed some simple chances, but that will get better). On other occasions the handballs we short, panicked and pointless - these generally led to us turning the ball over and rarely achieved anything productive.

Once they get the message that a handball is only effective when it goes to a guy under less pressure or in a better position than you, let it rip and HIT YOUR TARGET. How frustrating was it seeing guys handball to team mates 2 metres away and miss?

The best handball is one to a player moving fast towards goal, preferably fast and at 45 degrees rather than a loopy one over the top - get that right and we will become a better offensive team.

Lots of over reaction.... I was at the game and didn't think we were bad at all. Sure we didn't bury them but we'd applied the brakes once the game was over plus we had less rotations with the 2 injuries.

What I loved was the hill brothers 1-2 punches, they are a sight to behold and clear the congestion so well.

Midfield of Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Hill x 2 and hopefully Bennell is easily top 3 in the AFL.

I think if freo play like yesterday , is borderline bottom 8 side.

• Q4 17:05
    Garrick Ibbotson has played a strong defensive game for the Dockers grabbing six intercept marks to go along with his 20 disposals. In a key transitional role, he has been involved in seven scoring chains for the Dockers.

Motivated by the slagging he got on here.

+
Good pressure in patches which forced Carl to make mistakes (eg kicking out on full)
Sunshine
Got a reminder - Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Hilly and Billy are a top shelf midfield

-
Blakely was Barlowed again.
Injuries in JLT 3 are the worst.
Turnovers by foot - just... wow. Same culprits - no need to name them.

other
That Wietering fellow is going to be one heck of a player

what teams with an amazing midfield have finished 16th? Unless you're actually tipping a run of injuries that is. And any team with a run of injuries can finish 16th.

Apparently Collingwood has the #1 ranked midfield in the competition according to champion data.

Felt Taberner is a step ahead of Kersten. Shane exactly didn't inspired confidence last night. Tabs have capacity to get more marks. But think Ross has his mind sorted for Round 1 anyway

+
Good pressure in patches which forced Carl to make mistakes (eg kicking out on full)
Sunshine

-

other
What does blakely was barlowed again actually mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt Taberner is a step ahead of Kersten. Shane exactly didn't inspired confidence last night. Tabs have capacity to get more marks. But think Ross has his mind sorted for Round 1 anyway
Defensive pressure is the difference. Kersten is seen as working much harder off the ball I suspect.

What does blakely was barlowed again actually mean?

Means he was played in the Bermuda triangle half forward role which is a guarantee of not getting much of it under this game plan.

De Boer, Barlow, Crozier, Sunan and now Blakely have all played this same role at various times and all have struggled.

Our Midfield is fine you need to be reminded that once Johnson and Dawson departs, out KPD stocks are aged 24 or under. Same with the KPF stocks

The team no doubt played better last night but the problem I see (mentioned by others) is that our handball decisions too often are the wrong one when there was a better one available. It is compounded by some of our players not actually reading the play as well as they could and being either too close to the contest or standing flat-footed. Another 2-3 metres away from a contest and our players would receive better handballs, at the moment they are so close the opposition tackler actually hops to them as they receive the handball.

There was one passage of play where we had a 5 on 2 and the Blues actually won the ball and ran away with it. It was comedy and it just should not happen.

We are seriously in trouble if Sandilands goes down.

+
Sunshine

-

other
please tell me wietering wasnt available to us.

Stephen Hill has always done amazing impactful things with the pill, but generally hasn't had enough of it to be regarded as a top flight player imo.
I have a suspicion that 2017 might be the year that Hilly finally realises his potential & increases his average disposals per game.
This preseason with the inside / outside game he's been given & his brother pushing him / playing alongside him, his stats have taken a big jump up.
Went to the Carlton game & was chuffed to see some goal hungry Freo forwards looking to take their shots (rather than pass off to another player). McCarthy, Fyfe & Ballantyne obviously. Great effort from Griffin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta be annoyed we didn't get that Andrew McGrath bloke though? He would have filled our need to attack from half back perfectly. And that Taranto kid. Useless f'in Freo recruitment team.
Man the carlton flogs all around me at the game were giddy over him. speaking flogs I swear carlton people out numbered us. in 101 anyway. Maybe they were just more noisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back