Autopsy Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I completely agree, i was very suprised to see the negatives about tucker, during the game i was quite impressed with his run and skills, in particular a bullet pass he kicked right onto the chest of one of our players out of the midfield.

The kids only played 12 games, and in his first year too! Everyone needs to be patient because you dont become a great afl player over night.

Overall very pleased with how weller, tucker, blakely, and langdon are tracking, they are all becoming good afl players.
I'm a little concerned about blakelys constant fumbling and poor kicking. That high half forward just doesn't suit him. Very much like Barlow. He's an in and under extraction player.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very much agree with those saying we need to change our back line mix a bit. Don't understand Collins & Cox not getting a run. Zac D must be close to cooked & we so desperately need another playmaker back there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm a little concerned about blakelys constant fumbling and poor kicking. That high half forward just doesn't suit him. Very much like Barlow. He's an in and under extraction player.
I suppose the question is do we need for him to be more than just an in and under player? Every other midfielder we have on our list seems to be flexible except him. If he was bringing more on the inside than Fyfe, Neale, Mundy or SHill then I think you could excuse it but he isn't yet so I agree with the coaches decision to force him to add more flexibility to his game. He's a good competitor, we need to give him time - I didn't think he was that bad @ HF yesterday and had improved from the previous week.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

Blakely is hopefully being given experience in that half forward role to switch with Fyfe when Fyfe moves into the forward half. Sylvia was a bust at that role. Connor has all the attributes to give that chop out when Fyfe goes forward.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
I don't think we can progress until Dawson Spurr and Ibbotson aren't part of the back 6.

So much average ball movement starts and finishes with them.
Yes they can defend, but their inability to make quick decisions (Ibbotson), dispose the ball accurately or with precision (Spurr) or kick at all (Dawson) are killing us.
We're barely going to make the 8 if we're lucky.
Alex Pearce in place of Dawson, Logue staying in and learning quickly and Luke Ryan need to be prioritised as a matter of urgency
Also if our four best midfielders get 135 possessions between them, how is our delivery into the forward line still so s**t and we have no system?

Agree completely with the fist bit, and we prob wont make the eight this year. I think we will get pushed around a bit too until the guys get to around the 100 game mark.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
With the return of Fyfe, Mundy back as predominantly an inside mid and Hilly playing more onball I'm concerned his development is going to stall significantly. There's aren't going to be as many opportunities for him as there were last year and there's a good chance he'll get the "Barlow treatment" as has been pointed out and just be stuck shoehorned in on a fwd flank. Hope I'm wrong though because he looked like a bonafide clearance wiz at times last tear

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So it looks like we didn't play a +1 in defence this pre-season, yet I have witnessed at training our defenders playing with a +1. Will we play a spare come round 1? Should we play a spare? I tend to agree with Dunstall that games without +1's are more fun to watch.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
So it looks like we didn't play a +1 in defence this pre-season, yet I have witnessed at training our defenders playing with a +1. Will we play a spare come round 1? Should we play a spare? I tend to agree with Dunstall that games without +1's are more fun to watch.
Fun to watch; it becomes a shootout which is what the AFL want. We just don't have the offence to win shootouts though so I'd imagine Ross being Ross, we play +1 and try and create a stoppage game, especially with Sandi and our big bodied midfielders

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liam is a front running forward, does not have a defensive bone in his body.

Case in point, last years WAFL grand final.

Nyhuis only got it 10 times. Ryan didn't exactly just let him run off him from memory.

I don't think his defensive game was the put off tbh, more his terrible fitness and endurance levels at the combine and I'd guess most clubs would want to see how dedicated he is to his footy and how he goes away from home over a longer period.

Last edited:

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the return of Fyfe, Mundy back as predominantly an inside mid and Hilly playing more onball I'm concerned his development is going to stall significantly. There's aren't going to be as many opportunities for him as there were last year and there's a good chance he'll get the "Barlow treatment" as has been pointed out and just be stuck shoehorned in on a fwd flank. Hope I'm wrong though because he looked like a bonafide clearance wiz at times last tear

I actually enjoyed Blakelys game yesterday and feel like he can give us some solid ball winning ability in an area of the ground where we struggle.

He had the 2nd highest score involvements yesterday with 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Yep,I liked his game as well.While it's not his ideal or natural possie he brings plenty and I think it's familiarising him with the role so he can be part of a rotation through there with the likes of Fyfe and Bennell.
He could very easily added at least a couple of goals to his stats.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why on earth would you play Stephen Hill on the inside when that not only deprives us of our best kick and runner, but also the inside work of Blakely which is clearly his strength, NOT goal kicking and creativity...?

Blakely is in the same boat as Neale: inside mid only, there is nothing wrong with that.

Lachy96

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeh it not the ideal position for him but i think the idea is to give the team flexibility by teaching him how to play dual positions. He's also got to be as good as or better than whos already in there fyfe, neale, mundy, shill which is a pretty tough midfield group to crack into.

I do agree though i think his best footy is in the midfield.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stephen is no longer our best kick and runner.
Runners go on the wing. We have about 4 players that are both good runners and good kicks and one of them may never play. There is more than enough room for Stephen Hill on the wing and Blakely in the guts.

Hill Fyfe Hill
Sandilands Mundy Neale

Blakely on the bench.

Fyfe goes forward? Chuck him on.
Neale needs a spell? In he goes.
Mundy or shill back? Blakely in.

It is completely unnecessary and bordering on detrimental to his development to attempt to squeeze him into a role he so clearly isn't suited to.

Edit: and let's wait and see how Stephen reacts to little bro tearing it up before we make that conclusion ;)

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Usain Bolt: "Lay off my twin brother " (Zac Dawson).

That's right, Bolt and Dawson are twins and their careers have been eerily similar. Consider the facts:

Zac Dawson /// Usain Bolt

DOB: 2_/_/1986 /// 2_/_/1986

Ht/Wt: 197cms/94kgs /// 195cms/95kgs

Zac+Dawson = 9 letters /// Usain+Bolt = 9 letters.

2016 goals: Zero /// Zero

Career Brownlow votes: Zero /// Zero

Years in Freo leadership group: Zero /// Zero

Olympic gold medals won in the pool: Zero /// Zero

Competing at 2020 Olympics: No /// No

Competed at 2014 AFL GF sprint /// Watching from the stands that day
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...l/news-story/5b2cebb0685bab120e39c0bbe9800166

upload_2017-3-11_17-59-31.jpeg
images

Separated at birth.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Runners go on the wing. We have about 4 players that are both good runners and good kicks and one of them may never play. There is more than enough room for Stephen Hill on the wing and Blakely in the guts.

Hill Fyfe Hill
Sandilands Mundy Neale

Blakely on the bench.

Fyfe goes forward? Chuck him on.
Neale needs a spell? In he goes.
Mundy or shill back? Blakely in.

It is completely unnecessary and bordering on detrimental to his development to attempt to squeeze him into a role he so clearly isn't suited to.

Edit: and let's wait and see how Stephen reacts to little bro tearing it up before we make that conclusion ;)

All our inside mids lack pace. We've been torn apart by mids streaming away from Mundy, Fyfe, Neale. Hill gives us pace on the inside. He's essential for balance.

Back