Griffin Logue 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't beaten by intent, hell, he wanted it, he was beaten by inexperience. Time to develop with the trainers and time on field with Peel and the odd AFL experience and he will prove himself worthy of such a high draft pick soon enough.

Would like to see him tried at half forward. Don't need to be as instinctive and would be a hard match up.
Yeah I was thinking that as well, especially after his super goal. Although I think we have two excellent potential options later in the season at HF in the 2 HBs ironically. Harley Bennell & Harley Balic - not sure we can rename them Fennell and Falic though ;)

Yeah I was thinking that as well, especially after his super goal. Although I think we have two excellent potential options later in the season at HF in the 2 HBs ironically. Harley Bennell & Harley Balic - not sure we can rename them Fennell and Falic though ;)

Maybe the wing is a good spot for him. He can still be an outlet kick option with CMac and fyfe and can roam back to help out the defence. I do agree with rgauci that half forward is a tough position but still worth a try at Peel. Learning leading running patterns may come more naturally to him than reading the play and intercepting marks. As it currently sits he has the speed, marking ability and tank to be a good half forward.

Maybe the wing is a good spot for him. He can still be an outlet kick option with CMac and fyfe and can roam back to help out the defence. I do agree with rgauci that half forward is a tough position but still worth a try at Peel. Learning leading running patterns may come more naturally to him than reading the play and intercepting marks. As it currently sits he has the speed, marking ability and tank to be a good half forward.
I disagree , with one match everyone put logue down . I think given time he will be much better ibbo . how many game ibbo and sutty play. That group with GU ,deboer take half a season to learn lyonny game plan.

I disagree , with one match everyone put logue down . I think given time he will be much better ibbo . how many game ibbo and sutty play. That group with GU ,deboer take half a season to learn lyonny game plan.

I'm not saying he won't be a great 3rd tall defender. I would just like to see how he goes in multiple positions that's all.

There is a big difference in the U18 defense Logue would be used to and the AFL standard. All the zoning and structure gets much more advanced, significantly more then other positions such as forward line. Luckily Logue is under the best defensive coach in the AFL in Ross. Which makes him so much more likely to be a star. Looking at the game most of his faults where just due to bad positing or lack of judgement, which will be very easily fixed over time and with experience.

On the plus side is all that rowing would of put quite a bit of strength into those legs, so he'll be good if we need somebody to just clear the ball out of defense (or kick a goal from 60 off a single step ;)). Secondly he fills a niche at the club as we have no defenders with his level of athleticism, or even close. I recon he'll be playing as a defender most of the time as we already have a fairly packed midfield (Fyfe, Neale, both Hills, Walters, Blakely and Bennell all kinda young and automatic ins for the club).

There is a big difference in the U18 defense Logue would be used to and the AFL standard. All the zoning and structure gets much more advanced, significantly more then other positions such as forward line. Luckily Logue is under the best defensive coach in the AFL in Ross. Which makes him so much more likely to be a star. Looking at the game most of his faults where just due to bad positing or lack of judgement, which will be very easily fixed over time and with experience.

On the plus side is all that rowing would of put quite a bit of strength into those legs, so he'll be good if we need somebody to just clear the ball out of defense (or kick a goal from 60 off a single step ;)). Secondly he fills a niche at the club as we have no defenders with his level of athleticism, or even close. I recon he'll be playing as a defender most of the time as we already have a fairly packed midfield (Fyfe, Neale, both Hills, Walters, Blakely and Bennell all kinda young and automatic ins for the club).
He played 8 games of senior WAFL but the point still stands

Scratching my head here, seem to be a bunch of Negative Nellies here.

Logue did some good things, and fluffed some things. Sounds like a typical summary of a rookies game.

He gets a tick in my back, but back to Peel ( grrrrrrrrrr should be Duckies ), to sculpt his body, gain experience and learn team tactics.

I still think he will be introduced into the midfield to make up for the loss of Mundy when Mundy hangs up the boots. That goal he kicked didn't do his potential as a great mid any harm.
His loopy field kicking might have though. He was nervous - I can't wait to see him playing at Peel because I think they will give him time in the midfield there this season. Darcy, Logue, Balic & Grey in the centre should be pretty dominant at WAFL level and really good preparation for AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree he'll end up in the middle.Pointless judging last night's taste in terms of what he'll offer in the future.Just RTB and the selection boys letting him know where he's headed.
At the minute it's all guesswork but long term I see him becoming Hodgesque without being a 'good bloke campaigner'.
Versatility and power.A Mr Fixit.Put him where the trouble's coming from to stop it and where the weakness is to exploit it.
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't have a long career with us.

I definitely want him to be that 3rd back to replace Johnson. Very important position that he will excel at
Yeah I am not so fixated on it being Logue though. The key aspect that is required is a good football IQ and he is yet to demonstrate that, and I guess given how little football he has actually played it is all an unknown area for me. If Ibbotson was smarter as a footballer he could play the role well yet is physically significantly shorter than Logue or MJ. Hamling, Duman, Nyhuis, Cox; all contenders at this stage for me.

Perhaps the player that I can think of who I can most readily compare him to is Croad. Athletically gifted and explosive potential, but not necessarily a natural footballer. High ceiling. Can have a major impact. I am also a lot less negative about Croad than I suspect the majority of posters on this Board are.

KPD's take 4-5 years according to J Brown today. Part of this opening thread was about how GL is an athlete and his background is athletics and not football. He is not a Sam Mitchell that grew up with a football. If you do not grow up with a football in you hand, or some other hand-eye ball, it is unlikely you will ever be an elite skilled ball magnet person - just saying the facts. I use Mitchell as he is now an Eagle, and will continue to excel because of the speed of his brain and not his athletic ability (Barlow for us was great) - other examples are Sandilands and Naitanui - both athletic but not natural footballers.

So, if we drafted English (we are still waiting for Clarke), we may be waiting 5 years I would think. I think 3 years is a reasonable expectation for Logue, so tighten your seat belts, zip your tongues and let the bloke learn his trade. If we drafted another mid, then yes they may get games, but I stand by my opinion that GL is not a midfielder, nor recruited to be one.

His loopy field kicking might have though. He was nervous - I can't wait to see him playing at Peel because I think they will give him time in the midfield there this season. Darcy, Logue, Balic & Grey in the centre should be pretty dominant at WAFL level and really good preparation for AFL.

The big knock on Logue from recruiters was his field kicking. I'm not sure Logue was worth the risk when there were other talented players still available.

The big knock on Logue from recruiters was his field kicking. I'm not sure Logue was worth the risk when there were other talented players still available.
Based on 1 JLT ? And not much chemistry build between senior player. I thought he did reasonablely well ,those kick season players in previous and current players kick it occasionally, this including MJ and mundy.

Based on 1 JLT ? And not much chemistry build between senior player. I thought he did reasonablely well ,those kick season players in previous and current players kick it occasionally, this including MJ and mundy.
Nah he said "recruiters", so pre draft. I thought he kicked ok off the left in U18s etc but his field kicks on Friday hung in the air way too long. Still think it is nerves and he was just over cautious causing him not to kick naturally (like he was forced to with that super goal - didn't have time to over think it).

I am not in the rush him in to senior team brigade myself. Even though he already has plenty of AFL attributes I still think he was a relatively high risk (only because we used pick 8) high reward selection looking at the longer term, not immediate term. If we can flush out the nerves, tighten up his skills and teach him how to position himself well he'll become an extremely good AFL player. But it's going to take more than a single pre-season to get there. I wanted Brodie on draft day but can now see Logue brings more flexibility in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back